Author Topic: De Anza Springs  (Read 1120 times)

jaybirdsen

• View Profile
De Anza Springs
« on: November 07, 2017, 11:23:15 PM »
JB and DF's recent reports from De Anza Springs in 2008 brought back memories of my first visit in the same year and a trip I took several years later one day.  I'm bringing this old chestnut out from the old hiking naked site as it is now the beginning of a two or three parter or maybe more. I am working on the other parts it is just hard to find time to write sometimes.  Any way here is part one.

It was a cold and misty morning as I looked out across my desk. The dense grey bank rolled in with the tide at dawn hanging low and laying a thick wet blanket over the start of the day. A steaming cup of mud at my side helped lift the mental fog. A pile of unopened correspondence lay in my inbox. I checked the calendar. As with every month the final amended draft of the Nothing to Report Report for November was due topside for review by noon, with the final draft due on the 10th. The final NTRR due on the 15th would bear little difference from the original draft NTRR that was sweated over to make the deadline of COB on the first. Still the final amended draft was due by noon and there was no getting around it. I pondered this for a moment and realized Iím retired and donít really give a fig about the draft, amended draft or final NTRR anymore or any other useless paper pushing deadline for that matter. Itís all someone elseís headache now. Nope, like yesterday, today was Saturday, just like tomorrow and I intended to Carpe the holy diem out of it.

I checked with the boss and then the desert weather, mostly sunny and 73 just perfect for an early December day. I was out the door in minutes and off to my favorite naturist resort in Jacumba for a midweek Saturday nude hike.
Once out of town the traffic was light and the drive east was very pleasant and the warm dry desert air welcoming. So much so that at some point I couldn't resist driving nude and shed my clothes somewhere on the way.  As I crossed the Tecate Divide at 4100 ft and began my descent and transition from high to low desert. My San Diego oldies station began to fade just as Major Tom was losing touch with ground control. At 2700 ft Jacumba sits twixt high and low desert and the 1400 ft drop from the divide can get a little hairy on windy days with strong cross gusting winds broadsiding vehicles causing wicked shimmies and unintended lane changes. Today's drive though was pleasant and warm. A nice treat for a December day and I took it as a harbinger of things to come.

From I-8 Jacumba is a one exit town and by the looks of things they are lucky to have it though the locals probably don't care one way or the other. I drove the mile or two dirt road from the off ramp to the entrance gate of De Anza SpringsI pushed the button on the intercom and requested permission to come aboard for the day. I left my clothes in the truck in the parking lot checked in at the office and struck out into the desert walking pole in hand nude and happy.

The dry warming sun felt wonderful on the skin and spirit as I ascended the hills behind the resort.. After a while and once over the top and down the other side I set my water pack down so I could fully enjoy the sun and warmth of a totally unhampered freehike. I went off trail in the surrounding hills poking about hill and dale freehike freehiking and just exploring the desert flora and fauna. Nothing much to report here either, just the occasional odd jackrabbit breaking cover nearby high tailing it and scampering away.  Otherwise the silence was deafening.

The afternoon brought with it a long thin stratus cloud that stretched north to south across the sky and in the autumn sunís path. The on and off overcast sunlight from the cloud gave a weird dreamlike shade to the surrounding landscape. The low hills were really made of thousands of granite boulders carved in all shapes and sizes by millions of years of rain and wind. Scores of Humpty Dumpty boulders sat precariously atop other boulders yet never fell. Deep in uffish thought, I could almost feel the piercing eyes on me of a jub jub bird perched high in a tum tum tree and kept my Vorpal hiking stick close at hand should a Jabberwock whiffle by. Had I chased one of those jackrabbits down a hole?
The thin needles of the cholla cactus glowed as the plants emitted a foggy white aura in the dull light of the surroundings and I gave them a wide berth as I weaved my way between. In this strange light I became slightly discombobulated orienteering off trail among the boulders and desert scrub. The Carrizo Badlands. You could get seriously lost out there in the wabe if not careful. It would not have surprised me to hear the voice of Rod Serling above me from an old twilight zone episode. ďWitness if you will... A nude man wandering alone in the desert on an alien planet.Ē There was just a still surreal feel to it all.

Iím nursing a bad wheel and as it always is with late autumn hikes in this weird light, the long shadows of mid-afternoon reminded me it best I get back on a trail and head in before dark even though it still seemed early.  My mindful musings continued as I pressed for home with the walking meditation dumping all needless thoughts and cares out into the universe and leaving me to carelessly wend my way along.  I ascended the hill behind the resort in this blissful state and thought a nice after hike swim in the pool would be just the ticket on my return. As the thought crossed my mind a palpable snap in the warp and woof of my universe shook me from my reverie and I stopped in my tracks. I realized that I had forgotten to pack the most massively useful thing in the universe!!  I neglected to bring a towel!!  I couldn't believe yet in my haste to carpe the diem todayI left the house without one. I generally shower and swim in the indoor salt water pool to relax and unwind after a hike. I was a bit crest fallen picturing myself having to air dry in the cool afternoon breeze.  No matter, A solution would present itself I resolved.

I returned to the parking lot through a grove of trees with yellow autumn leaves raining all over me in the balmy afternoon breeze. What a wonderful treat.  I stopped into the office and reported my towel predicament to the nice ladies in the office. It being the off season they had to look in the back room for the box of towels.  After a little discussion amongst themselves  they selected the right color for me.  I gladly bought the towel  and went on my way to the indoor pool area

I heard a lot of happy voices as I approached the usually quiet pool house and I happened to walk right into the middle of an afternoon water volley ball game. I was immediately invited to join in. Iím not a big time social nudist or averse to it either I just enjoy mindfully walking nude in nature the most so I generally donít to go to hang out nude. I couldn't resist the invitation and was soon part of the rotation. I was a little rusty hitting the net on my first serve for which I was immediately granted a beginners mulligan. I knew at that moment I was among friends and enjoyed a very good time the rest of the afternoon. I forgot all about my leg and I think the jumping around in the warm salt water during volleys was good hydrotherapy. It was a very friendly mixed crowd of young to not yet old well tanned and fit friends. There was good energy here. Everyone truly appeared younger than their  age. I actually started looking around the salt water pool for one of those pods from the movie ďCocoonĒ. One guy looked a lot like Hume Crone and I could swear it was a young Don Ameche who spiked the ball in my face at the net to end a great volly. And yes, that could be a svelte, younger Jessica Tandy standing next to me who had invited me into the game and it sure could be Tahnee Welch I was facing just on the other side of the net. While freehike freehiking off trail in that strange aura I must have left then re-entered a more elevated world. You know that darn third eye of mine has been throbbing for months now and I must have mindfully walked right into the game and a whole new wonderful plane in this world. I found out they play three Saturdays a week with one Saturday actually falling on Saturday. Had I taken my hike last Saturday or next Saturday, tomorrow Iíd have missed this new plane. Chance, happenstance, fate or luck in a universe of Saturdays this Saturday was the one with the space time door I walked through into the game.
Twas gone past Brillig when I left, driving home into the sunset. Floating nude in my tin can I felt twenty years younger which is definitely something worth a report. So here submitted for your approval is my Draft Something to Report Report only to be found at the nude hiking section in the records and files of the twilight zone.
Jay

jbeegoode

• View Profile
Re: De Anza Springs
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 12:45:30 AM »
There is definitely a strange otherworldly sense that pops out of that desert from time to time. It may feel like another planet. It may be some friendly ghost from the past, a spirit, or some other phenomena presenting itself as interpreted by the individual. Somehow, any of it has been has been all good.

DF and I regularly find ourselves off in a twisted,or altered state of universe in an adventure, whether it is the fulfillment of an impromptu vision quest, or just the wonderful diversity of vegetation and geology that we are offered.

There will be coming out of the "ready can," a couple of more shorter De Anza reports of adventure to share, pretty soon. One, I 'm sure that you will find us to some degree of carried way away with our communion in one of them. I can hear a blushing DF now, "I can't believe that you actually shared that!" Well, for the record, I don't think any of us has a true grasp of the actual reality...but you'll see what I mean. Also, again for the record, we did drink enough water that day. ;D

Yup, there is something to the desert, the silence the projection and the oneness, not knowing what to believe and realizing that it doesn't matter what you are believing, as long as you get back to the resort for a soak in the comfort and safety of a water feature.
Jbee
Barefoot all over, all over.

nuduke

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 11:51:10 PM »

What a beautifully written report, jaybirdsen!
Not only did you describe what had happened but also gave us a window on your feelings and the experiences encountered before, on the way and after.
Let's have more, please!  Thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

Next you must learn how to post a few pictures!  Mind you your descriptions painted a pretty fair picture.

John

jbeegoode

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 12:31:48 AM »
Yup, I can never get enough pics of De Anza's enchanting weirdness...or the real thing, for that matter.
Jbee
Barefoot all over, all over.

jaybirdsen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 09:34:02 PM »

Part 2.  A couple years later.  Barefoot hiking in Jacumba: A tye dyed discussion; the universe. A third eye journey

"There are no coincidences" Nancy said with a knowing look while smiling at her husband Sam. Their eyes locked in an affectionate embrace the two in non verbal communication and by their look confirming to each other the wonders of the universe.  It was at least the third such exchange I'd seen between them since we met.  Only a short while into our hike we were standing in a small natural grotto cut through the boulderous granite batholith of a million year path of least resistance wrought by the hydralogic cycle. Located in the flood channel of a dry wash the grotto was divided into two rooms by a thigh high boulder.   The cave was actually a pile of boulders stacked up from flooding waters in a random manner so that light was piercing through in all directions from the space between the rocks.  I pondered the countless millennia of floods it must have taken to create this happenstance abode and who through the years may have used it for shelter.   

At some point early on as we were leaving on the hike I made an off handed comment about having an active third eye. Can't even remember why I said it. This quickly became a topic of conversation and very shortly they had the gist of my experiences including one extended out of body where after an exhaustive few days and being up most of the night I fell into a deep sleep and was literally grabbed by a light and pulled out through my third eye and brought to a person very special to me who was in a coma and dying.  I did not know this in reality at the time and only found out the following morning.
She told me that she was fine and not to worry that she was safe.  Nancy said my story gave her goose bumps and this elicited one of their mutual there are no coincidences eye locks.  I did not yet know this but we were actually three third eye travelers.

For hiking attire, we had donned three hats and one pair of sanucks (mine).  Sam and Nancy I had discovered live not only nude but barefoot here in the desert and being artists as well as truck drivers they of course were of painted nails. 40 matching digits of earth tone hue.

By now I'd known them all of an hour or so having arrived a bit earlier to their residence at De Anza Springs to look at some sarongs they had for sale and discuss the custom order of a running kilt. After making a few purchases we had agreed to take a hike together and after visit their friends one of whom is a seamstress who would be the one making the running kilt.  So here we were just over the hill from their place on a hike through the Carrizo Gorge.  We'd only been gone a few minutes when we entered a grove of trees and took a side trip up a canyon wash that I had always been curious about yet always seemed to thick with vegetation to bother with.  Sam had cleared a path some time ago and the trail was now open so up we went.

As we stood in the shelter I could tell this was a very special place for them. I also had the feeling we had met before yet couldn't place the time.  They too mentioned that I seemed familiar.  Sam was discussing the pineal gland and its relation to third eye activation mentioning native american rituals involving third eye journeys .  Nancy noticing something on one of the boulders reached her hand in front of me and pointed out a carving on the rock above my right shoulder. A geometric design made centuries or millennia before.  I surveyed the figure wondered about its meaning, who made it and why.  The long wait to be observed again by us. I took in the shelter and the light piercing through, its three nude inhabitants, the topic of our conversation and the timeless eternity it took to create this moment in such an iota of the universe and I had to agree "yes" there are no coinkydinks.

I confessed to Sam that I had little actual knowledge of third eye discovery.  What information I had read in books or online didn't connect with my experience.  I only knew that the sensation was at times always with me and as I child I could remember sensing objects up to a foot or more away.  I said I had seen a National Geographic magazine cover a few years ago depicting a mesoamerican shaman in a hat that had a curved animal horn protruding from the front with the curved point directed right at the third eye.  I told Sam I knew instantly why the hat was designed in such a way so as to stimulate the third eye yet knew little else of the rite.  Nancy then asked me if I'd ever heard of ayahuasca and its effects on the third eye and self discovery.  I confessed to no knowledge and felt the part of an ignorant student as they together explained about the plant and native american rituals.

As we left the cave to continue our hike and discussion in the wabe of the desert we entered the Carrizo Gorge and traveled a path above the now deserted impossible railroad  a mere century old.  As the sun and breeze rolled over our bodies they began to explain the rituals in depth and their own third eye journeys under strict rules and supervision of trained guides at a native american center near Joshua Tree. If you're to have this discussion I thought, this is certainly the place to do it and traveling lite as we were our attire was most appropriate.  My teachers at my side we continued our hike and lesson.