Author Topic: Nude Swim under attack by the prudes  (Read 49 times)

Rebus

• View Profile
Nude Swim under attack by the prudes
« on: January 11, 2018, 03:03:21 AM »
I just signed the petition on Change.org: "Shut Down the Petition to Shut Down the Nude Sliding Event.” I think this is important. Will you sign it too?

Here’s the link, with the details:
https://www.change.org/p/change-org-shut-down-the-petition-to-shut-down-the-nude-sliding-event?utm_medium=email&utm_source=petition_signer_receipt&utm_campaign=triggered&share_context=signature_receipt&recruiter=27922274

Thanks,
Scott

Davie

• View Profile
Re: Nude Swim under attack by the prudes
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 09:42:11 AM »
This has been running on the BN site for a few days now and quite a few of us have signed the petition

Davie  8)

dbwvogel

• Amateur free-hiker and theatre artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 02:14:57 PM »
I also signed, and was frustrated to hear of the cancellation. I don't know Canadian law, but I presume terroristic threats are against the law and should be investigated and punished - is that not true? I would hope that a new date for the swim could be scheduled, perhaps without the international publicity...
- David

pjcomp

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 04:31:28 PM »
Fully agree, though one comment piece about it that I read highlighted that this was actually a new group which, instead of taking a softly-softly approach to its first event, blasted its invitation loud and clear. As a result the ninnies and prudes were spooked and went into their usual panic, knee-jerk reaction ("what about the children!!!") which of course provoked the internet trolls to threaten violence and mayhem. If the group had been more low-key (it was argued) everything would have probably gone off peacefully.

On the one hand that sounds like blaming the victim, which is certainly not my intent. On the other hand, the organisers could have been more circumspect and foreseen the reaction of uneducated.

Just a shame that it's started off so badly, leaves them a lot of ground to make up if they want to try again. Perhaps the best we can hope for is that it starts a conversation and does actually educate a few of the numpties.