Author Topic: Monsoon: The Desert Springs Back to Life  (Read 272 times)

BlueTrain

• View Profile
Re: Monsoon: The Desert Springs Back to Life
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2018, 08:34:19 PM »
Of course people were looking for wealth. That's what brought me to where I live now. But I was only saying that people went through the deserts of the southwest because they were going to California. They went other directions to Oregon and Washington state, if they went by land.

If humans are not affecting climate, as you suggest, then none of the other things you mention really matter that much. In other words, people can trash the land and it will make no difference. The land will eventually recover. The problem is that humans live on one time scale and nature lives on another one. The places where it matters the most are islands. Some islands have become deforested, others almost denuded by human activity, including grazing animals brought in by settlers. But there won't be any going back to the day when the Great Plains were unfenced and unplowed or when bison roamed the shores of the Chesapeake. But I can show you a beaver pond less than a mile from where I live in the Washington suburbs and if we're lucky, maybe show you a fox or deer from my dining room window.

eyesup

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2018, 09:08:27 PM »
There is a push now in Nevada to build a pipeline from east central NV down here. In Spring, Cave, Dry Lake and Delamar valleys they want to pump ground water out to Las Vegas. With the drought on, this will take away the limited water necessary for the survival of the ecology.

Remember Owens Lake? Well, they just might be doing it again.
Those that forget history are doomed to repeat it.
Stupid is as stupid does. etc. etc. etc.

Duane

eyesup

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2018, 09:15:15 PM »
I’m registered as a republican, but I vote as a libertarian. Fiscally conservative but socially liberal. That’s the small “l’ not the big "L"! :D

Duane

eyesup

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2018, 09:16:11 PM »
When we visited Virginia City the first time the guides told us that all the mountains around the “Bonanza” were covered in ponderosa forests. All the hills around now are completely bare. They were stripped of trees for mining and buildings. The soils were lost in the weather because there was nothing to hold them. Hardly anything grows there now.

There is so much wood inside the mountain that the decomposing wood has put the CO2 levels at a hazard level and no one is allowed in the main areas of the mine.

It completely altered the landscape.

Duane