Author Topic: The Bare Body Freedom Movement via Change.org  (Read 1356 times)

jbeegoode

• View Profile
The Bare Body Freedom Movement via Change.org
« on: June 28, 2018, 07:35:36 PM »
 I don't know if these guys are looking for too much too soon, but bless them. I signed the petition and have been getting updates about every week.

The Bare Body Freedom Movement via Change.org
Jbee
Barefoot all over, all over.

Bob Knows

• Human bodies are natural, comfortable, and green.
    • View Profile
    • Greenbare Photos
Re: The Bare Body Freedom Movement via Change.org
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018, 08:15:59 PM »
I have noticed several ad-hoc organizations taking up the fight for body freedom.  The big old "nudist" organizations in the US have not seen fit to support body freedom and even publicly oppose nudity except "in appropriate places on private property,"  (high price resorts).   

BN in the UK has been successful gaining recognition of body freedom rights.   AANR in the US is not on that page.

The Bare Body Freedom Movement is making a splash in New York.  Other groups in other states are also pushing public body freedom.    Numerous American nudists have given up on the old line resort folks.  Its about time.

I signed their petition a few weeks ago. 

Bob
Human bodies are natural, comfortable, and green.
To see more of Bob you can view his personal photo page
http://www.photos.bradkemp.com/greenbare.html

jbeegoode

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 10:07:55 PM »
Mark Story has been creating stret demonstrations for body freedoms for years. He frequently writes of his free range adventures in "N" Mag. He is in the hub of TNS. There is change there. There is also practicality. That organization needs more grass roots support and bucks for the NAC, if it is to work like BN. They are also holding together a coalition of naturists and various activities, which includes resorts, too.

John P. is going to their Eastern Gathering. Perhaps he could let us know what is going on. There is tremendous inclusiveness at those gatherings. They are always up for people to participate and present.
Jbee

Bob Knows

• View Profile
    • Greenbare Photos
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 02:55:30 AM »
Mark Story has been creating stret demonstrations for body freedoms for years. He frequently writes of his free range adventures in "N" Mag. He is in the hub of TNS. There is change there. There is also practicality. That organization needs more grass roots support and bucks for the NAC, if it is to work like BN. They are also holding together a coalition of naturists and various activities, which includes resorts, too.

John P. is going to their Eastern Gathering. Perhaps he could let us know what is going on. There is tremendous inclusiveness at those gatherings. They are always up for people to participate and present.
Jbee

It would go a long way to public confidence if AANR would drop its opposition to body freedom in public, maybe they could even advocate body freedom.   

jbeegoode

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2018, 05:34:31 AM »
I'd like to see TNS take that lead. AANR has never really been that kind of organizations that I know off. Old school. TNS is already set up with NAC and NEC. They have the tradition going back to Lee Bauxendall (How do I spell that?). He started it nurtured it and wanted to see body freedom. His strategy was "nude recreation is the way." Get out have some fun and others will follow. The first incremental step was free beaches. They publish free hiking, WBR, WGD, free range kayak trips, etc. The NAC would love to have the support and create change in law, not just tread water. They manage to put out the polls every so a often, some of the most valuable evidence that we have to make our case.

I think that TNS/NAC just needs some grassroots support. The membership does most of the writing for the magazine. Bob, I'm curious, if you were a member, what would you write in 1400 words for the magazine? What do 30,000 naturists need to hear? How do we get people motivated?
Jbee

Bob Knows

• View Profile
    • Greenbare Photos
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2018, 07:12:21 PM »
I'd like to see TNS take that lead. AANR has never really been that kind of organizations that I know off. Old school. TNS is already set up with NAC and NEC. They have the tradition going back to Lee Bauxendall (How do I spell that?). He started it nurtured it and wanted to see body freedom. His strategy was "nude recreation is the way." Get out have some fun and others will follow. The first incremental step was free beaches. They publish free hiking, WBR, WGD, free range kayak trips, etc. The NAC would love to have the support and create change in law, not just tread water. They manage to put out the polls every so a often, some of the most valuable evidence that we have to make our case.

I think that TNS/NAC just needs some grassroots support. The membership does most of the writing for the magazine. Bob, I'm curious, if you were a member, what would you write in 1400 words for the magazine? What do 30,000 naturists need to hear? How do we get people motivated?
Jbee

I have belonged to TNS fairly recently.  They do seem to be more appropriately focused than AANR.  I didn't get a notice that my membership was going to expire and it did. 

I have seen some of the material from NAC for years.  Perhaps its funding, and perhaps its a lack of volunteers.  For whatever reasons they have never been pro-active talking about what people can get away with where.  Their web site lists only the statutes, and never court cases, which any lawyer can tell you isn't enough to know the law.  And, they apparently have never taken the kind of pro-active approach BN has been doing lately. 

Neither have I seen any request for volunteers from NAC, not on the TNS page, and especially not on social media.   

I read articles in the Oregonian Newspaper https://www.oregonlive.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2015/06/public_nudity_in_oregon.html about where you can go naked in Oregon, but reading the TNS/NAC web site one would never know that nudity is generally legal throughout Oregon.  Same with other US States. That amounts to lying by omission. 

Barefoot groups pester state governments getting affirmations about the legality of being barefoot.  When nude is generally legal, why aren't nude groups pestering state governments to say so?   I want to support them, but I want them to step up and advocate for body freedom too.

Bob

« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 07:14:00 PM by Bob Knows »

Rebus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2018, 09:12:59 PM »
For those interested, here's another petition for body freedom from Don Tau, a freedom activist.

https://www.change.org/p/public-nudity-should-be-exempt-from-penal-laws

nuduke

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2018, 02:49:24 PM »

I just noticed, Bob and chaps, that the Oregonian article is in the 'Entertainment' section.
Is the nude lifestyle a form of entertainment?  And if so, for whom?  The participant or the reader?
Is there a PhD thesis there?
John

Bob Knows

• View Profile
    • Greenbare Photos
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2018, 03:55:05 PM »

I just noticed, Bob and chaps, that the Oregonian article is in the 'Entertainment' section.
Is the nude lifestyle a form of entertainment?  And if so, for whom?  The participant or the reader?
Is there a PhD thesis there?
John

A well known American nudist organization self identifies their advocacy as "recreation."   The Oregonian newspaper perhaps thinks "nude recreation" is a form of entertainment rather than a way of life.  Their article focused on nudist theme parks and beaches in a state where public nudity is generally legal almost everywhere, as they accurately reported. Its not hard to see where they got the idea that naked means "nude recreation." 

Bob

Rebus

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2018, 03:59:43 PM »
I think from the newspapers perspective "entertainment" is inclusive of events and activities and places to go nude would be considered an activity.

jbeegoode

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2018, 09:04:37 PM »
The recreation idea is incremental. Lee BAxandall said "...nude recreation is the way." (to change). Perhaps, hanging out where people try nude recreation passing out leaflets about nude lifestyle might bring on their next logical step?

The goal is to have "the option" as an acceptable alternative. Most people will wear clothing for social reasons, or during cold and then see clothing as ridiculous in certain situations, or a simple option instead of a catastrophe, or embarrassment.

So, making news is a tool for social change. Isn't that how race, sex, gender and sexual preferences have become more and more equal, protected and more norm. So, goes body liberation.

What I'm curious about is what has made this stuff legal and practical in Europe and not here in USA? How could NAC and TNS get some progress made? Is it about a more homogeneous society in a smaller state making government do the practical, reasonable, more progressive actions and decisions? Was it a grass roots supported thing? Does it have to do with the polls taken by BN?

How might the narrative in the media be changed?
Jbee

BlueTrain

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2018, 09:54:50 PM »
I have often wondered the same thing myself and have even posed the question on other forums. But I never received a satisfactory answer. I lived in Germany for two years and never saw any public nudity where I was. Yet even then it was permissible on the beach in some places, though hardly everywhere. My wife told me that most all beaches in Denmark were topless in the 1970s but that doesn't explain how they came to be that way. Topless has been okay on Mediterranean beaches for decades, but when that became common is another question. But it is a big leap from topless to nude. Even so, beach nudity in Europe goes back a ways.

Change can happen without any fanfare, so slowly it isn't even noticed. Other times, it's dramatic, even violent. But it's hard to say if a smaller, homogeneous society will necessarily be reasonable or progressive. Yet the changes for the better concerning public nudity that have occurred in my lifetime have been remarkable, if somewhat uneven. One could investigate how those (few) legal nude beaches became that way. Perhaps that's something a little research in old copies of "N" or the older Clothed with the sun periodicals could shed some light on.

Ultimately, it was probably a grass roots thing. The legality of the thing followed years of everyday use without too many problems by lots of ordinary people. You might say that legal public nudity starts with a beachhead.

John P

• View Profile
    • My naturist page
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2018, 11:15:36 PM »
I think "Don Tau" is actually Ton Dou, which I believe is a shortened form of his real name, Tony Douglas or some such thing. He advances the cause of body acceptance by doing public performances naked, and he has one planned for New York City on Sept 2:

https://ultimatefreedomconcert.com/
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/naked-concert-in-times-square-tickets-43206124682

It's also a money-making project, or perhaps there are expenses he hopes to recover. In New York nudity is illegal, but there's an exception for artistic performances. You can be part of the Ton Dou concert by buying a wristband for $50.00, which makes you a "participant" and thus not a criminal. Or since it's taking place in a public location, you can just go along and watch for free.

Peter S

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2018, 08:47:25 AM »
…years of everyday use without too many problems

Perhaps the question should not be when and how did  nudity become legal but when and how did it become illegal

« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 08:49:09 AM by pjcomp »

BlueTrain

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2018, 12:56:47 PM »
Different times, different places, different reasons, probably. When do you suppose it became common for families to go to the seaside for recreation? The rural and small town tradition of skinny-dipping goes back a long ways but it wasn't something girls and boys, much less families did together.

I grew up in a small town and there was a local pond where a few boys might skinny-dip now and then but it wasn't water than I would put my foot in. I don't know where I had heard of skinny-dipping but when I was still in high school, we moved to the country, in the next county. I was sorely disappointed to learn there was no such practice but I think the real reason was there was no old swimming hole or mill pond. There did used to be a mill but all that remained was remnants of the dam. There was no trace of the mill itself but water mills used to be very common in the east. The one and only time I went swimming while I lived there was to a place ten miles away, with mixed swimming and no suggestion of skinny-dipping. Yet in spite of it being a devoutly Baptist (all varieties) country, I'm sure it happened when there were suitable places for swimming or at least, bathing.