Author Topic: A couple of things  (Read 576 times)

BlueTrain

• View Profile
A couple of things
« on: July 12, 2018, 10:54:30 PM »
Here are a couple of unrelated items of marginal interest; one good, one bad.

The bad one is about me. I finally went to the doctor about a "wound" on the top of one ear that has refused to heal in over a year, maybe less. My excuse for not going to the doctor sooner, which was the first thing he asked, was because the last twelve months was a bad twelve months. My place of employment got sold a year ago tomorrow (which finally resulted in three-quarters of the company being laid off last February) and all the agony and tension that went with that and I had a hernia operation. The hernia operation was nothing. The rest was terrible. Anyway, I didn't explain all that to the doctor. I just said I finally came after all.

The diagnosis was that have several spots, all on my head and ears, that are pre-cancerous. But they can all be dealt with more or less routinely. I started life as a redhead and had a few bad sunburns when I was little. That raises my risk factor substantially. I'm not related to anyone who ever had melanoma but they're all dead anyway. And we're going to the beach week after next. But I never set foot on the beach last time we went anyway and so I'm not worried about that. It shouldn't affect my so-called lifestyle, even that part of it that is live nude. Just about all the places I ever hiked nude have been in the shade, so I guess that could continue. Nothing to worry about.

The good thing is something that will interest some of you. According to an article in the paper today, some people believe there are health benefits to being in contact with the earth. Literally. Meaning as in barefoot. Works on sand, earth, grass, rock and even concrete, but not other kinds of pavement, it said. It also works if you wear shoes with leather soles. Something about the electrical charge in the ground or something like that. So those of you who hike barefoot might be onto something. For the rest of you, keep your dog away from part of the lawn and take a walk now and then in your bare feet. If positive reports are forthcoming, maybe I'll even try it.

jbeegoode

• View Profile
Re: A couple of things
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 07:15:03 AM »
Good prognosis! The guy that I'm caring for has had multiple cancers that I've had to care for. Some the size of half dollars, but still no worries, if he would just leave them alone  and let them heal wet. Dementia the problem. Anyway all very routine, as long as one is religious about the prescribed after care.

I have a red head friend just a few years more than you that has been getting the stuff for years here and there. It's just a hassle. No worries.

The grounding is called "Earthing." It has had obvious benefits for DF and me. We use the sheets to sleep, barefoot, I even have a rig for my wrist when camping. I wake up much less stiff and sore. I scowered this site with my cell tonight for 15 minutes looking for the thread with extensive discussion of this topic to no avail. It must be burried in some off topic discussion. Eyesup seems to have a knack for finding old posts.

If you look for "earthing" you'll find the people who sell the sheets, etc. That leads to best information. Then the originator has a full length documentary about it that is quite entertaining, when he gifts a whole little town in Alaska earthing tools. Anyway, Bob and I recommend pursuing more info, and have done our testimonials then there are still others here, like Nuduke that have experimented.

I got better sleep, and persistent sciatica knocked out in a few days, much more.
Jbee 
Barefoot all over, all over.

jbeegoode

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 07:34:37 AM »

ric

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 09:55:22 AM »
my wife swears by it

weve got an earthing mat at the bottom of the bed.... cheaper than full blown earthing sheets....wire goes out the window to a groundspike.   im sceptical about using the electric socket earth... its possible to get stray voltages... unlikely but possible.

early on we used antistatic wrist straps arround ankles at night... doable but a bit of a hassle.

damp grass is probably best for barefoot contact.  i dont spend much time barefoot....partly because when im not wearing glasses i cant see the ground clearly.   ill risk lawns but not anything less well tended.

even if you are sceptical about the electrical grounding there the barefoot stimulation of the reflexology points  on the sole of the feet to consider.

i guess the bottom line is a bit of barefoot walking doesnt cost anything ,  may have benefits .. so why not.

MartinM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 10:07:02 AM »
I donít believe the electrical earthing story. A scam to sell junk based on some very dodgy physics about free electrons and negative charge.

However, there are multiple benefits to walking barefoot and having direct contact with the earth. You just donít need to fall for buying the earthing sheet etc, like I did initially before doing further investigation.

BlueTrain

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 12:26:10 PM »
The article used the term "grounding" but didn't mention sheets or anything you needed to buy. The whole idea might sound a little hokey but a hundred years ago, men wouldn't venture outside in the tropical zones without a sun helmet lined with green stuff or something, a spinal pad (to deflect the rays of the sun) and a flannel belt (a sort of cummerbund worn beneath the clothing). That is, white men who took those things seriously. Probably British, too.

The concept is loosely connected to nudism, I suppose, and in this case, "naturism" would indeed be a more correct term. It sort of goes along with the legend that some people can't wear an electric watch because they don't have the right polarity or something. There are lots of things like that (grounding), mostly things extracted totally out of context from some "native" practice. When I was little, I had plenty of contact with dirt--I mean the ground.

One thing I do believe regarding nudism as well as naturism is that the body benefits as much from exposure to air as it does to the sun. Some of us obviously need to be more careful than others when it comes to the sun, of course, although it's usually too late by I've never experienced a sauna, sweat lodge or anything like that, except that our local rec center has a huge hot tub, well-patronized the few times I've been there. It's very nice but might not be to everyone's taste.

I'd like to hear a little more about Indian-style sweat lodges, something that might be regarded as naturism.

Bob Knows

• Human bodies are natural, comfortable, and green.
    • View Profile
    • Greenbare Photos
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 02:09:41 PM »

If you look for "earthing" you'll find the people who sell the sheets, etc. That leads to best information. Then the originator has a full length documentary about it that is quite entertaining, when he gifts a whole little town in Alaska earthing tools. Anyway, Bob and I recommend pursuing more info, and have done our testimonials then there are still others here, like Nuduke that have experimented.
I got better sleep, and persistent sciatica knocked out in a few days, much more.
Jbee

I think the Earthing (electric grounding) sheets have been discontinued.  Ours wore out where my rough feet cause more sheet wear than the rest of our bodies.  I have found that one negative of full time bare feet is they tend to wear out sheets more quickly. 

I contacted the Earthing people earthing.com and they said they were having supplier problems.  They said to check back in a couple of months.   

They now have some kind of pad 54x72 inches.  They say it fits beds of all sizes.  They say it works even when covered by a conventional polyester fitted bottom sheet.   One of the customer comments complained that the attached elastic straps are on the wrong edges when turned cross-ways on a king size bed.

I may have to get one of the pads.  My fitted sheet wore out.  I still have my grounding foot pad by my computer.   

Bob
Human bodies are natural, comfortable, and green.
To see more of Bob you can view his personal photo page
http://www.photos.bradkemp.com/greenbare.html

Bob Knows

• View Profile
    • Greenbare Photos
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2018, 02:24:07 PM »
The diagnosis was that have several spots, all on my head and ears, that are pre-cancerous. But they can all be dealt with more or less routinely. I started life as a redhead and had a few bad sunburns when I was little. That raises my risk factor substantially. I'm not related to anyone who ever had melanoma but they're all dead anyway. And we're going to the beach week after next. But I never set foot on the beach last time we went anyway and so I'm not worried about that. It shouldn't affect my so-called lifestyle, even that part of it that is live nude. Just about all the places I ever hiked nude have been in the shade, so I guess that could continue. Nothing to worry about.

I'm sorry to hear you are having skin problems.  When I was young I also got severely sunburned a couple of times, worse on my shoulders and back than my head.  Now I almost always wear a hat out in the sun. 

There is a lot of evidence that the scare of sun which was promoted 20 years ago has caused more health problems than it cured.  My mother and probably many other people began wearing long sleeves shirts and full body covers outside. High number chemical sun blocker is still marketed.  But medical evidence now abounds that regular sunshine causes natural vitamin D production and other beneficial effects which prevent cancer all over our bodies including our skin. Some studies have also shown that the toxic chemicals in sun blocker are not healthy either. 

Some studies show that dark skin people from tropical ancestry suffer higher death rates in high latitudes from lack of sunshine.  The higher death rate was enough to drive fairly rapid evolution of light skin humans in northern lands.  Blond and red hair people are adapted to living where sunshine is scarce much of the year, and consequently suffer where sunshine is abundant.  My ancestors lived somewhere between the tropics and the north so I'm blessed with brown hair and skin that changes color when exposed to sunshine.   

You're going to have to wear a hat outside, BlueTrain.  Keep the sun off your head and ears. 

The article used the term "grounding"

Grounding is the American word.   Earthing is the UK word.  Both mean the same thing, connected electrically to the unlimited reservoir of free electrons of mother earth.   

Bob

« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 02:29:05 PM by Bob Knows »

BlueTrain

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2018, 03:01:32 PM »
I'm an American, so I don't speak English. I've been to the U.K. and could almost understand most people, so I guess the languages are somewhat related.

I do generally wear a broad-brimmed hat outside but most of my walks are in the shade, thankfully. I still think that it's odd that skin problems appeared on my face and ears rather than on my back and shoulders, where I actually got sunburned. Could be worse, I suppose. Could be raining.

ric

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2018, 09:08:31 PM »
if you stick earthing sheet into ebay uk search  bed sheets are there circa 120 quid.....   we went the cheap way with anti static earthing  mats, designed for the electronics repair industry  ,    got a bench mat accross the bottom of the bed ,   can be initially a bit cold to the touch on a winters night but soon get ued to it.... bit like sitting on a cold leather chair.

jbeegoode

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2018, 10:52:09 PM »
I was skeptical at first, too. I talked it over with my electrical engineer son, and we had quite a debate. He doesn't see how it works grounding to a wall socket, reasoning by what he knows. Still because of the anecdotal factor and the common sense of it, I took to experiment.

First morning obvious dramatic difference in sleep and rest. I wasn't so stiff and sore. Still as usual concerned with suggestibility, Certified Clinical Hypnotherapist that I am, I kept sleeping and it kept that improved. On the third day, I got up, walked into the kitchen for water, and returned sat on the bed and my jaw dropped. I had had these stiff ankles every morning for years and they we're there. I forget how many days later, but in a short while, my persistent sciatica disappeared. I had tried so many things for months and it just dropped off.

I keep a rod and a wrist band in my backpack. I generally feel a good workout backpacking. Grounding at night, I get up much easier. This stuff, I wasn't looking for. Serious chronic pain going away isn't placebo, its anti-infammatory response. After weeks and at times when one forgets to look or drops expectations is when one can judge placebo.

We know of the anti static pads effects in factories, etc. It isn't all hype. I thinking that there is more to our response and makeup than eliminating some static.

These day, years later, I honestly don't notice any dramatic differences when I don't use the grounding devices, like the sheets. There is a warning about washing it is proper detergent and a frequency. I don't know if the sheets wear out.

My favorite item is the quilt. It feels great, plugged in or not.
Jbee

Bob Knows

• View Profile
    • Greenbare Photos
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2018, 03:15:37 AM »
When I studied chemistry in High School (and then in college) the first thing you learn is about "valence" numbers and electron sharing.  Chemistry is all about atoms being joined or not by sharing electrons.  When there are extra electrons such as when you put an acid and metal together you get electrons being pushed by a force, you have a battery.  If you apply an electric voltage current to a compound you can separate compounds into separate atoms.  Water, for example, separates into hydrogen and oxygen.   Chemists sometimes call an impressed electric force as a "bias."

Human bodies operate on very complicated wet chemistry.  Wet chemistry involves electron sharing or giving up between many chemicals. We have very little data on just what changes when an electric voltage is applied to our bodies.  It is easy to imagine that a one or two volt bias improves some body chemistry but interferes with other body chemistry.  The Earthing people demonstrate that living ungrounded among electric equipment results in about one volt or more charge on a human body.  The electric charge goes away immediately if a hand or foot is grounded. 

I don't know just what body chemistry is helped or hurt by a bias voltage, but I doubt continual all day every day voltage helps our overall health.  Even a small voltage all the time will have some effect on our wet chemistry.   Grounding can't hurt and may help. 

In response to Jbee's comment about grounding with a wall plug, the ground pin is connected to a ground rod in the earth at each home with copper wire.  Connection to the ground wire is electrically equal to going outside barefoot and standing on the ground. 

ric

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2018, 10:06:38 AM »
the preference i have for a dedicated ground rod and earth wire over a leccy socket is the earth wire to the electric socket is parallel to and in close proximity to the power conductors.    if theres a fault in the grounding yu can get small voltages induced in the ground wire.    the fault can be as simple as our current dry weather drying the ground round the ground spike so the copper rod doesnt have a good connection to earth... it relies on some dampness in the soil.    hence the old advice to chuck a bucket of water over the rod in dry weather.

having said all that most of the uk is on a pme system...permenant metal earth...the leccy board run an earth wire in with the supply wires so hopefully were all connected back to main earth points.

but as murphy said if something can go wrong sooner or later it will.

this is another of those areas where theres empirical evidence but little money to be made so nobody will fund "proper scientific" studies to find out exactly how it works..... but for me if i can see the benifits, whether placebo or not i dont really need to know the how.

grounding is just one of the "wacky" ideas ive taken on board in the last couple of years..... all i can say is im feeling  improvements....i dont know which one or combination is working but none of them  take a lot of time or money.

a short list of some "wacky " ideas

use the cell phone as little as poss, always at arms lenght on speaker  not by the bed at night.
keep electronics away from the bed

drink well water rather than chlorinated mains water.
lightly freeze drinking water... the first ice to form has most of the deuterium in it... the remaining water is mostly normal light hydrogen.   theory is low d20 water helps prevent cancers.

avoid artificial light, it mucks up your circadian rythems

blue light from screens is bad... watch the tv in the dark wearing sun glasses.

body needs a high salt diet....not the low salt weve been brainwashed with .

guess thats enough for now

BlueTrain

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2018, 11:34:57 AM »
Interesting ideas. The only thing worth adding is someone's belief that too much reading ruins your eyes. That one's easy to believe. These days, so many people wear glasses that nobody gets called "four-eyes" anymore.

I don't have a cell phone or smart phone. I don't watch television, except that using this here computer probably makes up for it, including the cell phone. I've also heard the claim that anyone who drinks water deserves whatever happens to them. That probably came from Scotland. I heard it back when I used to associate with several people from Scotland (and England, too).

Circadian rhythms are new to me. But what is artificial light? Fluorescent bulb? Incandescent bulb? Oil lamp? The light of the moon? The warm glow of a computer screen--probably not. I do think we have a built-in clock, so to say, more or less accurate, but it's something we can set ourselves, for what it's worth. But that may have nothing to do with rhythms.

What about copper bracelets?   

ric

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2018, 02:50:31 PM »
I was reading recently about updates to the Bates method of better sight without glasses.   In a nutshell the eye focusses by muscles altering the length of the eyeball.   When\if those muscles get weak you get long or short sight.   It needs constant changes of focus from near to far to keep them toned.   Fixed focus on a specific distance for long periods ,as in reading book or screen, weakens them.  Glasses remove the need to try to focus so make the sight worse......   
Apparently the  way forward is to exercise the eye muscles and throw the glasses away.

Harry Benjamin, take off your glasses and see.    It's a fairly old book pre computer usage.

But there's a newer one out .. give up your glasses for good. Nathen oxenfeld, but I haven't read it yet. 20 plus quid on Amazon.