Author Topic: Mt. Lemmon Experiments and Green Mountain Trail: Part I AND II  (Read 151 times)

jbeegoode

• View Profile
Went up to Mt. Lemmon to experiment with ultra-light shelters back in 2014. I did a reconnoiter of the Green Mountain Trail at that time. Then, DF and I went back a year later for her to see it. This one was published here as one of the first trip reports here, right after, I think, TSNS site shut down. It references my outrage of the time. So, I just cleaned the two tales up considerably and posted them at TheFreeRangeNaturist.org as a warmup to a more recent backpacking trip the fruition of these two recons.

https://thefreerangenaturist.org/2018/08/01/mt-lemmon-experiments-and-green-mountain-trail-part-i/

https://thefreerangenaturist.org/2018/08/01/green-mountain-trail-the-reconnoiters-part-ii/

With all of the preliminaries out of the way about the planning of the plan, we will embark on the return to Green Mountain Trail and Maverick Spring next week.

Here is the original:
http://freerangenaturism.com/forum/index.php?topic=45.0

Confusing enough?
Jbee ;D
Barefoot all over, all over.

BlueTrain

• View Profile
Re: Mt. Lemmon Experiments and Green Mountain Trail: Part I AND II
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 12:16:24 AM »
A curious thing about some of the places you photograph, these in particular, is the way when looking out over the distance, the land seems almost bare. Yet in the photos of the actual trails, there seem to be plenty of trees. The north rim of the Grand Canyon is like that in some ways (where I managed to do a little nude hiking).

jbeegoode

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 09:51:43 PM »
The haze contributes to the dry look. It leaves more of just color in the photo. The foothills are all grasslands in the Catalina's north side. It isn't barren, just dry brownish grass with scrub oak ecosystems in the gullies. https://thefreerangenaturist.org/2015/10/14/peppersauce-revisited-solo-trip-report/#more-538
https://thefreerangenaturist.org/2015/10/04/no-spelunkin-today-or-peppersauce-canyon/

Then down in the valley, this begins to be desert, lush desert, or creosote forest, which is just dominated by the creosote bushes. Then there is a band of mesquite bosque, cottonwoods and farmlands along the San Pedro River, which is extremely lush (check out the posts a couple of weeks ago).

Where we are hiking on the trails, we're up at 7000 to 9000 feet, which is cool pine forest, even alpine. Because of the steep slope and granite base, there are many rough places, just rock and trees. Next two weeks there will be many pictures of this trail and the terrain to acquaint you with it all. We end up in a rich fern and deciduous spot.
https://thefreerangenaturist.org/2015/10/05/an-introduction-to-arizonas-sky-islands/

The north slope of the Grande canyon is conifer, but not quite like a sky island, where elevation and direction of the slope has so much to do with everything. The tributaries in the canyon itself has similarities to many of the other riparian spots in Arizona. The desert around the Grande Canyon is generally pretty barren as you describe, and from observation of places from my experience.

The distant mountains and buttes in those vista photos are actually often very green.
Jbee
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 09:55:56 PM by jbeegoode »

BlueTrain

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 10:18:18 PM »
It has been years since we visited the Grand Canyon and Zion National Park. We visited both rims. As you say, the north rim is wooded, though it remains relatively dry and subject to fires, too. The trees grow right up to the edge most places (that is, most places we saw). Leaving the north rim, you lose altitude and leave the trees. There is little vegetation to be seen as you drive to the south rim, where vegetation is sparse, but there is some, as I recall. In the canyon itself, there is more vegetation, mainly trees, on the north side than the south side. Trails on the north side are use by animals and are less than wonderful, but that isn't a problem on the south side. The area between Zion and the north rim is basically prairie until the forested area on the north rim.

The interesting thing is how the north rim and the south rim can be so different, yet are within sight of one another.

eyesup

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 02:32:28 AM »
Iíve been to both rims several times, camped and hiked on both but have never done the rim to rim trail.
The North Rim is closed from Nov. to April. You can go there if you want but there are no services available. The highest point on the North Rim trail is at 8,803 feet (2,683 m).

On the South Rim the highest viewpoint is at 7,461 feet (2,275 m). The north is alpine and the south is high desert. Two completely different ecologies.

Duane

jbeegoode

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2018, 04:43:18 AM »
I've found a tributary canyon on the Colorado. Little visited and left to be much like it was before the damned filled it up.
Hope to do the trip very soon.

Closest that I've come to that was Havasupi back in the 1980's. This is not populated, ie. nude.
Jbee

eyesup

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2018, 08:38:39 PM »
Interesting. Care to share?

Duane

jbeegoode

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2018, 07:16:59 PM »
Trip report. The plan is to do it in October, but DF may not be able to make it.
Jbee

eyesup

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2018, 09:20:35 PM »
Waiting with bated breath!

Duane