Author Topic: Solstice hike, Vermont June 21  (Read 521 times)

John P

• View Profile
    • My naturist page
Solstice hike, Vermont June 21
« on: June 08, 2018, 02:33:14 AM »
On Thursday, June 21 (the summer solstice, AKA Naked Hiking Day on the Appalachian Trail) there will be a nude hike in central Vermont. The meeting place is at the Long Trail/Appalachian Trail parking area on Forest Road 10 east of Mt Tabor, Vt, at 0900.  The group leaves some cars there then takes other cars to the trailhead on the Long Trail/Appalachian Trail east of Wallingford VT, because the hike is 10 miles one-way.  The hike includes an opportunity for a skinny-dip in the beautiful Little Rock Pond.

If you have questions, please contact Ed Lamby (edward.lamby@verizon.net).

If you're a GPS user, the point to aim for is N43.3728, W72.9628. And if you're coming from the east, the best route is probably to cross the Green Mountains on Rte 30, and approach the rendezvous from Rte 7 on the west side. Forest Road 10 is certainly passable, but it's a long winding road that'll slow you down.

Some people like to drive up to the start the previous night and camp out. There's a nice campsite about a mile south of Road 10 on the Long Trail, with a shelter (could be occupied, though) and room for tents. That's what I expect to do, but I'm likely to come in well after dark. Have headlamp, will travel.

John P

• View Profile
    • My naturist page
Re: Solstice hike, Vermont June 21
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 11:39:51 PM »
As an alternative to the Vermont Solstice Hike, there is this:

Beth Nolan will be leading her annual solstice hike and skinny dip in Harriman State Park in NY on Thursday, June 21 starting at 10AM. Details can be found at http://www.bnyoga.com/body-positive/. There will also be an autumnal equinox hike (in September, naturally).

nudeed

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 03:14:07 PM »
Hi John, I haven't seen you for a while. As you write about the VT hike it leaves me sadden that I am not able to attend this year.I moved to Florida the end of last summer, and had hoped to hit Vermont for a few weeks during the time of the Solstice hike. Unfortunately the house that I bought needs more work than expected, so I am having to do the work instead. I hope that by the time of the hike the weather has normalized for you. Give my best to the ANNEC crew, I'll be there is spirit. I will be doing a hike somewhere near me in Central Fl.

eyesup

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 04:28:11 PM »
The solstice is during the week this year, thatís good, not as many people out. But itís June and schoolís out and it has been warmer than normal, usually in the 90ís. I may find a spot clear of summer vacation hikers.

Maybe Iíll head out early and watch the sunrise. Take some pictures.
Here on 21st sunrise is at 5:23 am.  errrrrr!
Drive time plus hike time, I would need to leave the house at 4:00 am.
A pre-dawn hike. Sounds nice.

Duane

eyesup

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 06:52:55 AM »
I'm likely to come in well after dark. Have headlamp, will travel.
That brought back a memory, JohnP. One I may have mentioned here before.

Backpacking the West Rim Trail in Zion in 2005. Scouts strung out in two groups headed up above 7200 ft. to site #5. It was pitch dark, in a thunderstorm, pelting down rain and lightning. No separation between light and sound. A physical experience. We had to set up camp in the rain and dark in a large stand of pines. One of the momís on the hike got to camp 1st and had hot water going for tea and hot chocolate under a tent rain-fly, for seriously cold scouts. Gotíem warmed up and in their tents.

The next day it was a brilliant, clear blue sky all day. It was my 1st real backpacking trip. Iíll never forget it.

Duane

nuduke

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 12:29:59 AM »

Some of my best nudist moments were on a few precious days when I got up before dawn before what would become a fine cloudless sunny day and went to the woods or stayed in the garden and spent naked time in twilight and welcomed the dawn with my nakedness.  There have only been a relatively few of these occasions, though.  Nowadays, I have theoretically plenty of occasions to experience dawn whilst skyclad but somehow, I can't be arsed to get up and drive out to a suitable hike. Don't know why I am less motivated to do that now that it's easier.  I must be perversely contrary!
John

eyesup

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2018, 07:05:42 AM »
Bad timing this year. It started heating up last week and hit 115į in our backyard. Itís been getting to hit 105į- 110į before 11:00 am. Even 30 miles out of town, itís too hot! Itís been regularly getting up to 112į or so this week.

Quote from: Nuduke
. . . I can't be arsed to get up and drive out to a suitable hike
While I donít understand the colloquialism, I do get the gist of it. To go on a hike this time of year, to avoid the heat, means I must get up at 5ish am and make the drive to a quiet secluded spot. The time of day, the cool of the morning makes it worth the effort, but these days to get up that early is an effort.

Duane

nuduke

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2018, 10:59:50 PM »

:D "I can't be arsed" means I can't summon up the motivation to do something, as I think you guessed.  Arse is the British English for the buttock region (American: Ass) or the anus although it is not a particularly strong slang although can be offensive to some.  In that form it is more acceptable.  The word arse can be used as an insult as in "You arse!" in which case it is more offensive.  Less charged usage may be quite acceptable as in the example of two male friends over a beer talking about the strong curry they had the previous evening and one relates its egress at his morning defecation and remarks: "My arse was on fire!" or several strangers are in a lift when it stops between floors and if someone says "Oh no, what an arse" it may be deemed crude but not unacceptable in the circumstances.

Yes it is hard getting up to meet the dawn somewhere.  I have done this in June in previous years in wooded places that required a 10-20 minute drive to reach.  So, say for tomorrow, twilight in our area is 03.47 and dawn 04.38 so I would rise at 03.15-3.30 then dress*, cup of tea and drive arriving at destination about 04.00 and walk till day is fully established stopping at some point to get the clothes off and/or find a secluded spot to greet the dawn spiritually as well as physically.  At the moment the only area I have found to hike in that is secluded enough is about 20 min minimum drive away. 

I see the dawn from inside quite often, but it's not the same through a window! :)

John

jbeegoode

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2018, 11:33:36 PM »
I like to feel the dawn. The nudity most certainly helps. Senses are alive. It perks up my consciousness. The animals are all responding, birds singing, night life going to rest, most species respond to each other sexually at this time. I can experience the energy of the associated sensations myself, as a fellow animal.

Then, there is the morning sunlight, its warmth, its relaxing effects. I sometimes feel like a lizard warming myself on a rock, getting the sleeping blood to lighten up. During the monsoon, the morning display of the sunrise clouds can strike spiritual awe. There are the beams of light, the angle of it casting shadows, making everything that much more distinctive.

This is all best savored without an agenda. That it is only within the moment, not preoccupied with a list of chores and concerns, just awareness and sense of gratitude. The rest can wait...maybe until after going back to bed for awhile...in peace.... 

It is worth making the time for and finding the place for the nude experience of it all. I wonder, am I ever closer to earth and my nature in the universe as these times? Nude times. 
Jbee
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 06:20:20 AM by jbeegoode »
Barefoot all over, all over.

nuduke

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2018, 11:37:08 PM »
I like to feel the dawn.

Beautifully put, Jbee!
John

eyesup

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2018, 02:24:14 AM »
The last thing I want to be thinking about that early in the morning, is an agenda. The only thing I stay focused on is getting the coffee going. The warm cup in my hands and the warmth spreading through my body from the drink, is the only early morning ritual I am willing to consider.

When I am camping, it so much more accentuated before the sun is up. Hearing the response to the dawn from so many sources is just amazing.

Duane