Author Topic: Non-landed Club  (Read 1358 times)

jbeegoode

• View Profile
Non-landed Club
« on: September 17, 2018, 05:45:09 PM »
I went to a non-landed club gathering Saturday. I wanted to see how things were after more than a decade of my absence. I was looking for support for protection of Nudity in Redington Pass. I also thought some members may be interested in my website.

When I walked into the door, I met a friend that I hadnít seen in a few years. It was her first nude social and she seemed very comfortable. I got a very warm hug, after not seeing each other for a while. She has attended sweats and is interested in my next sweat event.

They are offering to discuss the website and link to it in the newsletter. I'm offered an article placement to inform the group of Redington. We nudists stick together. Our various issues and activities bring life into our relationships. Otherwise, it can be a group of disparate people with only one interest really in common, getting nude socially and feeling comfortable.

At one point, it was discussed that with little to talk about outside of being naked, it can begin to feel boring after a while, otherwise. Real friendships may not bloom, but for a core. It just occurred to me that we are very disparate here and our primary discussion is naturism, but I've never been bored and feel a great deal of camaraderie, and have made heart felt friends.... ???

Maybe, it's the labels that are not worn there to define our interests, when lack of clothing wipes that out. People are friendly, but it is more difficult to ascertain their interests. It is also generally a group and it often takes pairing off to find that you are sitting next to another toy train buff, horticulturist, or whatever.

They are closer to ANRR than TNS. I discussed the difference of ďappropriate placesĒ clause in ANRR mission statement to a couple of newcomers. I explained why my alignment isnít ANRR.

So, we sat pruning up in the lovely temperature of the swimming pool water and discussed the matter of expanding the club membership and activities. Like a solid marriage, there needs to be a bond a purpose other than just being together between two, or more people. How do we invite, find and connect to the curious, or even find the curious and create an experience to allow the nude lifestyle to seduce them? How do we create a better gender balance? I saw that it is nudist activism, as much as it is building a club. ďGrow or dieĒ was mentioned.
We thought of womenís interests that might attract more females. Strictly womenís groups to allow newcomers to learn to feel comfortable, bonding activities.

One curious thing happened. The group has always been older people. We discussed attracting younger and families. Then, it was concluded that maybe there was a generational gap, and loud kids and music wasnít what the membership actually wanted. The target might be empty nesters to focus on. They are couples and singles, looking to fill their lives with something new, to redefine themselves to establish new commonalities in their relationship. These seem to be what naturist clubs are attracting. It was sort of an epiphany.

Well, all very interesting. Looks like Iíll be looking for a good weather opportunity to lead a club group down to Redington Pass to the nude section, too. 

Barefoot all over, all over.

eyesup

• View Profile
Re: Non-landed Club
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 04:57:17 PM »
Iíve seen those clubs listed on websites and often wondered if they were worth the effort. But the idea of sitting in someoneís backyard around a pool doesnít sound interesting.

Your report though does present a better picture. I am not a particularly gregarious guy, but once I get started in a conversation I do pretty well. I can limp through a discussion of just about anything and am not in the least bit hesitant to state my ignorance on any subject. Rather than pontificate, I prefer to listen to those that know their subject.

I agree that talking only about one subject can get tedious. ANRR. Is that a typo?
I did a search for it and got only AANR.

I also agree on your observations about young people. We probably remind them of their parents (some of us their grandparents) so itís not surprising there is little participation. A non-landed group would need to have leadership of all ages in order to program a broader spectrum of activities. The idea of empty nesters sounds like a promising one.

Duane

jbeegoode

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 05:23:16 PM »
The last time that I was involved in a non-landed club, I had a 42 year old girlfriend. One day she told me that she wanted to stop going. "It's like getting naked and partying with my parents," she said. Her relationship with her parents wasn't goo...was bad.

ANNRR, AANRR, ANNR is a typo. I was talking with the lead organizers, and president of the club, who just got back fom an aanr convention, while in the pool. We couldn't remember what it was. American, uhh....

I do well with most younger people at the sweat. They are 30's. The younger still, I enjoy the more avante guard ones as I was one and I like new ideas and perspectives. But I have to watch myself. There is a tendency to "back in my day" and it will at times put them off. Some are in a hip culture that is like retro hippie culture. They actually give respect to the "elder," if respect is given from the elder.
Jbee
Jbee

John P

• View Profile
    • My naturist page
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 07:32:43 PM »
I used to say "I'm not a social nudist". I thought all I wanted to do was find places where I could get away with nude hiking and skinny-dipping, but once I got involved with naturist groups, I found I really enjoyed it. It's as if naturism is a "secret society" of people who know that they're impelled toward an activity that the outside world doesn't understand or approve of. So when we get together with our brothers and sisters, of course we respond--"Finally I'm among my own people!" If there were regular meetings around here, I'd go.

JBG, when you talked about the trouble at your sweat lodge, I tried to advocate tact and patience when dealing with the female members who felt abused and threatened. I think that's a gulf that can be bridged, but it's a question of trust. We should be able to present naturism as a refuge from the pressures of the textile world, "Re-creating Eden" and so forth. But eat all the apples you want, and we keep reptiles at a safe distance.

I'd try to offer young people a mixture of idealism and fun, and expect to stay in the background as far as they're concerned. But never having had children of my own, I can't claim to be the best person to direct this. Morley Schloss and Stephane Deschenes claim that they get a good percentage of younger people at their respective resorts, so it's evidently not a hopeless problem.

BlueTrain

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 09:16:10 PM »
Although I have visited a club, I still say I'm not a social nudist. I don't feel the need and doing things while nude--or just plain being nude--isn't something that requires other people. Some may want an audience but it is likely that more need a support group. There is naturally the chance to do things while nude without looking over your shoulder, worrying about being seen. That much I understand. And there may be the chance to do things that you wouldn't be able to do no matter what, if you weren't at a club. I always thought doing one of those nude runs would be fun but I'm about 25 years to late for that.

But it's problematic for me in the first place. I'm married and my wife would certainly not be interested. I don't want to do any social activity without here, although she does. Today, as a matter of fact, she has a book club meeting. And she belongs to a garden club. The most I ever do is meet with some former work colleagues for lunch, which I've only done twice since we were all laid off. 

jbeegoode

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 10:22:54 PM »
Most things are generally better naked. I'm naked as often as possible, doing everything that I can naked. It seems abnormal anymore to dress up in any clothing. I either get so busy, or focused, as to forget that I'm clothed, or I am looking to get undressed.

Social events can be better naked. Better still if others are also nude, if only for a quick dip in a pool. Activities that are better naked sometimes require more than one or two participants. I need more naturist who are into my particular interests. I hang out with those people. Making music, dance, energy work, sweat, spirituality, projects, eating, on and on, I'd prefer to share the activity with nudists.

That secret naturist societal quirk is, I think, a major bonding and attraction for formal naturists groups. We do need each other's support. It does hold the conversation for a good long time as a bonding, entertaining activity, even though that may be all that is in common.

Then, there are those who are reluctant to speak about themselves and their lives outside of the nude thing, because it is secret. There is a trust issue that bonds and also inhibits. One of the people at the event was a law enforcement administrator of some kind. She was going on about the ramifications in court, if a defense lawyer wanted to use her "weird, or irresponsible" naturist affiliations against her case to disqualify her as a credible witness. My ol' girlfriend told me how she is going back into the school system and is concerned with one of the kids seeing her picture and showing it around, morals display, not the hard person that kids will cower under to, what the administration might perceive. We need to be supportive.

The hotsprings community is restricted. They look for "cool" folks, maybe a bit woo woo, or eccentric, or cool, or some such. There is that variety coming together in a place with constant irresistible water that begs naked. People with much in common that find the situation best nude and often become nudists before they know it, if others are walking about freely nude.
Jbee

jbeegoode

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 10:39:06 PM »

....JBG, when you talked about the trouble at your sweat lodge, I tried to advocate tact and patience when dealing with the female members who felt abused and threatened. I think that's a gulf that can be bridged, but it's a question of trust. We should be able to present naturism as a refuge from the pressures of the textile world, "Re-creating Eden" and so forth. But eat all the apples you want, and we keep reptiles at a safe distance....
We have the more reasonable one on the board, She is apparently in contact with those others and I'm also working personally with her. She is getting together with some of the disruptive women and some mental health professionals to come up with a solution to satisfy their concerns in the agreement that is signed when first taking membership.

It will hopefully include a reasonable not too restrictive, or threatening set of procedures to resolve personal issues. Like feeling offended by a "man's" behavior. Hopefully, a "person's" behavior, or any misunderstandings, won't be victimized by the setup like sexist Nazis. She is also looking into how naturist resorts and clubs handle things. Any information, rules, regs, or ideas as examples would be appreciated. It's a "hippie" sweat...can't be...you know...too uptight.

Anyway, fingers are crossed and I hope that we can give them a good fair shake and still maintain comfort and understanding for "all."
Jbee

Bob Knows

• Human bodies are natural, comfortable, and green.
    • View Profile
    • Greenbare Photos
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 10:47:30 PM »
Iíve seen those clubs listed on websites and often wondered if they were worth the effort. But the idea of sitting in someoneís backyard around a pool doesnít sound interesting.
Duane

I belonged to a non-landed AANR club in New Mexico, USA, for a few years.   They held a "house party" every month or so, and a couple of trips per year.   Getting them to go naked anywhere other than sitting around the pool was difficult.  For example, here is the club President clothed at  OLT/VV since it wasn't immediately at the pool.

I was often hiking naked in the local mountains and trying to organize group hikes, or walks to hot springs.  They had a once-a-year trip to a hot spring in the Jemez Mountains, but NEVER hiked naked.  They only got naked while sitting around the spring. 

Their level of "nudist" was not equal to mine.    Maybe its the AANR mind think.   "Nude (only) where appropriate." 
Human bodies are natural, comfortable, and green.
To see more of Bob you can view his personal photo page
http://www.photos.bradkemp.com/greenbare.html

BlueTrain

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2018, 11:31:46 AM »
Sitting around a pool in someone's backyard is no different from sitting around the pool at a club, isn't it? Among other things, that's probably the main reason I had little interest in clubs, aside from the fact that there are no clubs nearby.

jbeegoode

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2018, 06:34:52 PM »
Sitting around a pool gets old. There needs to be activity and less redundancy. It is just sitting around, like anything, better naked, but still sitting around talking. The discourse is dependent on commonality and life outside of sitting around the pool. That's a cocktail party, often without the cocktails. Again better naked, but they eventually get old.
Jbee

eyesup

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2018, 11:09:30 PM »
Well I had heard of AANR. Iím not a member of any nudist organization, so I wasnít sure if there was one I hadnít heard of. I figured it was a typo.

About the inclusion of young people, yeah, Iíve learned from my own kids and their friends about broadcasting my opinions. If they are 18 or older and at least out there trying to earn or learn their way, I treat them like I would anyone else. I assume they know what they want and believe and donít poke my nose where it donít belong.

I assume in a nudist environment, itís no different.

Duane

eyesup

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2018, 11:13:25 PM »
The whole idea you mention of a camaraderie in the naked event and community is interesting. One reason I would love to go back to OLT was the sense I had there of being among like minded people.

Like you said:
Social events can be better naked. Better still if others are also nude, if only for a quick dip in a pool. Activities that are better naked sometimes require more than one or two participants. I need more naturist who are into my particular interests. I hang out with those people. Making music, dance, energy work, sweat, spirituality, projects, eating, on and on, I'd prefer to share the activity with nudists.

That secret naturist societal quirk is, I think, a major bonding and attraction for formal naturists groups. We do need each other's support. It does hold the conversation for a good long time as a bonding, entertaining activity, even though that may be all that is in common.

I would most likely move beyond the common interest of the nudity to other more substantive ideas. Though from reading your posts I would probably be in a smaller set of the more conservative naturists. But I can get along with just about any reasonable person.

Hope springs eternal!

Duane

BlueTrain

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2018, 12:41:06 PM »
Although, as I mentioned somewhere, I have visited a club, I was only there for a day and not all day at that. But the basic assumption is that you have at least one thing in common if you are among other nude people. Beyond that, there are some things that everyone likes to do, such as eating. If there is a shared meal in the get together, then the event is 90% successful. There are a fair number of organizations, clubs and the like that only get together once a month or less. Infrequent meetings tend not to get old. It may also depend on what else you do, socially, and how convenient the meetings are otherwise. The thing is not to let the organization get in the way of the socializing and they're all social events. It isn't like going to your neighborhood swim club for lap swimming, which my wife does. She doesn't hang out at the pool. But I understand that some folks aren't really that social, even those who might be regarded as nudists. It's better than nothing, I suppose. Many things enter into the situations.

nuduke

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2018, 07:09:10 PM »

I have visited CO clubs a few times but not enough in any one to get to know anyone.  Thus I was going there simply to be naked and maybe sunbathe and read a book or whatnot.  To be a proper club naturist, like any club, you have to join in and visit regularly then you get to know people and it becomes a social venue just like any other common interest society, naturist or not.

There's therefore a contradiction for me.  I like to be naked and go about my business normally or do something active - walk, swim, appreciate fine gardens and meet people (as in AHG) etc.  Going to a place simply to be naked is not sufficient reason for me to be there.  On those occasions where I have visited, it was out of curiosity or seeking a place where I can be freely naked (and accept the disadvantage that when you are in the confines of the club, life is on the outside and you are there to kill time really.).  Yes there is swimming and time to relax and it's not that I haven't enjoyed that, so that's good, but apart from the fact that to do these things are possible naked, I wouldn't visit or join such an establishment for what it offers if it were a clothed, textile club. 

So CO clubs have a limited appeal for me compared with enjoying the countryside or a cool woodland naked.

John

jbeegoode

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2018, 07:19:57 PM »
Yup, I enjoyed Mira Vista, but then again, We were on an Arizona mountainside a couple of weeks ago and the blooming was so surreal that it felt like a dream. For the first time in my life, I literally pinched my naked self to make sure. There is a time and place for everything, but then again, there is a preference. ...well, and there is De Anza....

I'm heading out to those same mountains for a few days in just three hours, The wild full moon will be rising when the sun sets. When the equinox gets official the moon will illuminate the entire world fully, all the way to New Mexico and beyond. We will do ritual and make harmony and cleanse on this auspicious moment. Not the time to sit with cocktails  in a pool on the reservation.
Jbee
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 07:30:42 PM by jbeegoode »