Author Topic: Permanude  (Read 8497 times)

Bob Knows

• Human bodies are natural, comfortable, and green.
    • View Profile
    • Greenbare Photos
Re: Permanude
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2018, 08:58:31 PM »
I recall from an article in a nudist magazine from about fifty years ago (you know, the Golden Age of Nudism) discussing why there were so many photos of nice looking, young people in the magazines. The answer was, a picture is worth a thousand words. The stated aim or purpose of those magazines was to increase interest in nudism (as it existed then). There might be some disagreement as to whether or not that was really the aim of the magazines but as far as that goes, they were correct. I don't recall when or how I first learned about nudism (as it existed then) but it was by way of those magazines, or one of them, at least, that I actually made a visit to a club. That club was the Pen-Mar Club in western Maryland. I think some clubs have changed considerably in character since then.

When I was just 18 and graduated high school (55 years ago) I spent the summer working for a boat landing in a nearby resort town.  I stayed in a cabin on the property and found the owner's stash of 1950s nudist magazines.  It may have been the first time I ever saw a naked female, just wasn't done or even spoken about in my family.  Suddenly I was interested in nudism.    My personal adventures had me daring to run naked through the night in town 5 years before that, but I had never dared to think that being naked was accepted by anyone.  Suddenly here were all these women and girls, and occasional men and boys, playing naked without concern.   The magazines worked.  My interest in nudism went up a lot.

Bob
Human bodies are natural, comfortable, and green.
To see more of Bob you can view his personal photo page
http://www.photos.bradkemp.com/greenbare.html

BlueTrain

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2018, 09:56:03 PM »
Mostly, the magazines were intended to increase interest in nudist clubs, to be more precise. The other reason was to give people, presumably mostly men, an opportunity to see photos of nude females, which generally wasn't available in other publications. The degree of censorship varied over the year, of course, and towards the end, they covered all possibilities, including magazines devoted to nudist kids. Then general censorship of "real" men's magazines was lifted and they began to disappear. Later publications were somewhat different. but still tended to feature a lot of photography. "N" magazine is probably the most intellectually-oriented nudist magazine available now. Another is travel oriented and one that I have seen is Canadian, much like "N" but it's half in French. I don't know of any local newsstand where I live now that had any of them, though. One would think Barnes & Noble would carry them, since they carry so many titles. They may but I've never found any.

jbeegoode

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2018, 06:18:13 AM »

...As for the young people in the nudist magazines of fifty years ago, they're the same people appearing in nudist magazines today, or so it seems.

Those young women in old nudist magazine, I hope are the same women in magazines now. The age of the people in "N" mag is more than back in the day. They may well be the same women.... ::)
Jbee
Barefoot all over, all over.

BlueTrain

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2018, 03:08:09 PM »
According to one article in 'N' Magazine, at least one is.

jbeegoode

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2018, 07:22:50 PM »
I saw a copy of "N" on the rack at Barnes and Noble several years ago.
Jbee

BlueTrain

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2018, 01:17:48 AM »
I have looked at Barnes & Noble but they have so many titles, with sometimes only a few issues each, that it's easy to miss something. The newsstand where I used to find it, along with The Backwoodsman, went out of business. Barnes & Noble may not be long for this world, either.

jbeegoode

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2018, 10:38:44 PM »
I went to Barnes and Noble, but had no luck with "N" magazine. I need to call TNS after the first of the year and will ask if they sell on any news stands, or members only.
Jbee

Ed

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2019, 06:21:08 PM »
Unfortunately Tumblr has imposed a no nude imagine policy recently. So let's hope whomever ran that page on Tumblr has set up shop in a different site.

Peter S

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2019, 11:53:58 PM »
Despite the no nudes rule on Tumblr, there are still a lot there. Those I have seen are overwhelmingly non-sexual nudity, though you canít always say the same for the captions.