Author Topic: Sweeden is better because they get naked.  (Read 1457 times)

Bob Knows

• Human bodies are natural, comfortable, and green.
    • View Profile
    • Greenbare Photos
Sweeden is better because they get naked.
« on: December 28, 2018, 03:36:23 PM »
I copied this link from Facebook.   Parts of it are insulting and bigoted but it is quite positive about getting naked.  Every naked helps.

https://www.facebook.com/bbccomedy/videos/337115390412572/UzpfSTEwMDAwMjUyNjExMDk4NjpWSzoyMzkzMTY3NzYwNzI0OTM3/?multi_permalinks=2393167760724937&notif_id=1546004631057547&notif_t=group_activity

Human bodies are natural, comfortable, and green.
To see more of Bob you can view his personal photo page
http://www.photos.bradkemp.com/greenbare.html

nuduke

• View Profile
Re: Sweeden is better because they get naked.
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 04:18:04 PM »
That's pretty true I think!  Somewhat biased, yes, but it seems to be a BBC video so imbued with the British sense of irony and satire for which the swedes are not much known! :D

Davie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 04:23:04 PM »
... and all along I thought the Finns were the main sauna proponents. Still I'm only one of those poor Britons

Davie  8)

BlueTrain

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 05:28:25 PM »
Have more Swedes come to America than Americans have gone to Sweden?
Is there summer in Britain?
Do all Swedes drive Volvos (now that Saab have gone extinct)?
What is the language spoken in Britain (I've been there and did not understand anyone)?
Are all Swedes blond?
Is Evelyn really a man's name in Britain?
Are Swedes as friendly as they were in the video?

Peter S

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2018, 11:49:57 AM »
Q: Have more Swedes come to America than Americans have gone to Sweden?
A: Pass - one for the American passport office?

Q: Is there summer in Britain?
A: Yes, but sometimes it pretends to be winter

Q: Do all Swedes drive Volvos (now that Saab have gone extinct)?
A: No, they drive German and Japanese like everyone else

Q: What is the language spoken in Britain (I've been there and did not understand anyone)?
A: Britain has several different parts, each inflecting the language differently to disguise it from each other. Nominally it is English. What do Americans speak these days?

Q: Are all Swedes blond?
A: Using ABBA as a template, three-quarters of them.

Q: Is Evelyn really a man's name in Britain?
A: It has been used for both in the past, but only male among the upper classes in the hopes of getting into Great Aunt Evelyn's will.

Q: Are Swedes as friendly as they were in the video?
A: Only the friendly ones stopped to be filmed, the rest told the cameraman to f*** off!

BlueTrain

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2018, 02:14:01 PM »
I'm so grateful that someone replied and even answered my questions. I was afraid I'd wasted the 46 seconds of thought that I put into it.

To answer the question that you answered one of my questions with, concerning what Americans speak: since I am an American and reasonably fluent in the native tongue, I can say we speak Americanish, not English. In fact, during the world wars, there was a big push to get everyone to speak American(ish). There were even laws passed making it illegal to teach a foreign language. I don't know if that extended to Spanish or not, since technically, it isn't foreign. Almost but not quite. Spanish Spanish is but not American Spanish. So, no more Texas German or Pennsylvania Dutch and so on. There are different American accents, of course, three basic ones. As it happens, the point where they all come together is very near here, I think maybe about 35 miles to the west of where I live, although the point seems to be shifting, just like magnetic north. Generally speaking, most Americans can understand most other Americans without the aid of a translator but some Americans who grew up across the street from one another don't (or won't) understand one another.

MartinM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2018, 02:54:29 PM »
Donít some indigenous Americans still speak their own languages, despite all the attempts to eliminate these in the late 19th and 20th centuries? I am sure it is a disappearingly small number compared with either American English or Spanish, but with a much longer pedigree in the land.
Tread lightly upon the earth!

BlueTrain

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2018, 04:21:16 PM »
Yes, that's true. There was even a movie made about one of them, Navaho Indians in WWII who transmitted messages in the clear but in their own language. Most immigrants, however, make the effort to learn English sooner or later. The kids pick it up effortlessly. They say that America is where languages come to die.

nuduke

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2018, 06:52:12 PM »

I don't believe you couldn't understand us Brits, Blue Train!
We ain't so different.  Maybe you were in Scotland and didn't realise it - some people in Glasgow and Aberdeen do speak nearly a foreign language it seems.  Or North Wales where lots of people speak Welsh and so no surprises if you didn't understand that! 

But in Slaithewaite, ey up tha kno's, we yarn in t' England
t'semm as thee yanks
.  In t'Yorkshire we call a spade a shitty shovel and no mistake!  So put wood in t'oil and sitthee.  'Ast 'ad thee tea?  Pity, we've good 'nd swathed ours already tha kno's, we was fair clemmed.  Wilt tha fettle a breadcake and some parkin wi' a mash?  Gradely lad!*

Yes there are a few differences here and there!!

John

*let me know if you want a translation!

jbeegoode

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2018, 07:17:06 PM »
I don't know Nuduke, if I want a translation. That sounds kinda nasty... :-\...

...I hiked an Inca trail in Bolivia with a couple of hipsters from London. When they spoke together, I rarely understood them. A combination of slang and accent.
Jbee
Barefoot all over, all over.

BlueTrain

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2018, 08:19:25 PM »
I remember the old BOAC TV advertisements, "Come to Britain; We speak your language."

nuduke

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2018, 01:15:14 AM »
 So here is a translation of the Yorkshire dialect speech earlier:

- But in Slaithewaite,: [Town in Yorkshire pronounced Slowwitt]
- ey up: [form of address as in 'Hello there!'
- tha kno's,: [Abbreviated archaic English usage - Thou Knowest i.e. you know]
- 'twe :[that we]
- yarn :[tell stories]
- in t' England: [t' is an abbreviation for 'the' as in 't' Statue of Liberty']
- t'semm: [The same.   The t' abbreviation is as above, 'semm' is phonetically spelled dialect pronunciation of 'same' thus 'The same']
- as thee yanks: [as you Americans].   
- In t'Yorkshire we call a spade a shitty shovel and no mistake! : [apart from use of abbreviated t' for 'the', I think this is fairly self explanatory description for 'plain speaking'.  And no mistake' is a suffixed phrase for emphasis].
- So put wood in t'oil :[Colloquialism for close the door:  'Put wood' - place the wood or door, 'In t'oil' - in the hole (pronounced oil) or door space]
- and sitthee. : [and 'sit thee' i.e. the imperative case - 'sit down']
- 'Ast 'ad thee tea? : [Have (Hast) you (thou) had your (thee=thy i.e. your) tea - 'tea' being the working class main meal of the day called dinner by other classes but eaten around 6pm traditionally as the head of the household arrived home after a hard day down t' pit (mine).  The use of the word tea or dinner for the main evening meal of the day is still a residual social divider between working and middle classes.  Working class people say dinner for the midday meal  which more refined' social groups call lunch or luncheon]
- Pity, we've good 'nd swathed ours already : ['and swathed'=  Eaten.  I made this up! I couldn't remember the actual dialect!!  This is an old joke about the parsimonious Yorkshireman that declines to offer his guest any food as the family meal has already been concluded, implying that the host is not prepared to prepare a further repast for the guest.]
- tha kno's, :['tha = thou, knows= know hence you know]
- we was fair clemmed.: [we were very hungry - I can't recall if clemmed is more connoted with tired than hungry]
- Wilt tha : [wilt = will tha = abbreviation for thou i.e. you]
- fettle : [to make or consume, I could also have used neck fro swallow or eat]
- a breadcake : [a soft white bread roll.  Something like a biscuit in the USA or a burger bun perhaps.  Bread used to make a convenient and rapidly prepared sandwich]
- and some parkin: [parkin = a dense sponge cake made with molasses and ginger that is usually associated with Yorkshire]
- wi' a mash? : [a mash = a pot/cup/drink of tea also called a brew]
- Gradely lad!: [Gradely is an expression of adequacy or prowess = good or splendid, Lad is a young man or at least younger than the interlocutor although quite aged friends may call eachother lad or m'lad = my lad or owd lad = old lad]

So the sentence is:
But in our town in England (Slaithwaite), you see, we tell our tales in the same language as you Americans.  In Yorkshire we are plain speaking.  So, come in, close the door and do join us. Have you had your evening meal?  We have had ours already, you know, as we were extremely hungry.  However, could you eat a sandwich and some ginger sponge cake with a cup of tea?  Jolly good, my friend.

Just the same language, isn't it?

John

BlueTrain

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2018, 01:59:25 AM »
You'd be surprised, perhaps only mildly, at how English is spoken in this country and how it is so different from place to place. Not only the accent but the vocabulary. The talking heads on television (not the politicians) generally have no accents because TV people aren't supposed to be from anywhere.

I think people tend to vary their accents, some of them, to suit the occasion and the audience. And I swear some people exaggerate their accents sometimes, mainly for the effect, usually comic, provided the audience is speaking precisely the same language. Naturally, there are those who will speak down to others, if you follow me, to demonstrate to the unwashed how much better they are. I'm certain nothing like that happens in Britain.

John P

• View Profile
    • My naturist page
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2018, 05:42:48 AM »
Making an effort to add some relevance here--a number of years ago a gentleman from Glasgow found his way to the Eastern Naturist Gathering. My wife and I made an honest effort to communicate with him, but even when he spoke as slowly and as clearly as he could, we usually failed to get what he was talking about. It was embarrassing for all of us.

ric

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2018, 05:42:50 PM »
England used to be awash with local dialects and accents,. They're pretty much dieing out now.  When I was knee high to a grass hopper you'd still come across folk who had never been more than 20 miles from home and never watched TV.   Now TV has thrust London English on us and the local variations, especially in words rather than accent, have all but died out.

And them red squiggly lines and spell checkers are trying to kill off locallised spelling variations, mind you predictive text is probably adding some new ones.

It's the Geordie accent I have difficulty with.