Author Topic: A Plethora of Neighbors #25  (Read 213 times)

jbeegoode

• View Profile
A Plethora of Neighbors #25
« on: February 27, 2019, 04:30:30 AM »
Walk out my back door during a monsoon, I bumped in to seemingly everyone who lives out there.
Can't haelp it if I'm lucky....
https://thefreerangenaturist.org/2019/02/26/a-plethora-of-neighbors-25/

Jbee
Barefoot all over, all over.

nuduke

• View Profile
Re: A Plethora of Neighbors #25
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 10:13:20 PM »

I don't think you've ever mentioned the presence of Tortoises before, Jbee!  Are they Tortolitatortoises? :D

I think I shall miss your neighbourhood when you move to town!  Will you?
John

jbeegoode

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2019, 01:36:41 AM »
Sure, I'll miss it, but I'll be getting out to other areas more. I still have friends next door to visit and It may work out to sell to a couple close to our hearts. That means that I can still visit Havarock. I can still get into the Tortolitas.

I see tortoises here and there. My natural yard is a meadow filled with shrubbery that they like. When I do see them roaming my property, I get to know the individuals. It is silent here much of the time. Within that, it has been a lovely thing to hear the distinct the pull of a tortoise on a piece of desert shrub, go over and talk to them, and document a pic. Sadly the one with residence near my patio got caught in that 16F freeze several years ago. Another just seemed to up and die in my yard. After knowing them for several years, it is heartbreaking. They used to be so plentiful years ago, that they were given away at a highway souvenir stand.

When I was first building my house, a local came walking in. It walked around looking up and down, inspected the floor plan as we watched and worked and then it continued on. That was the neighbor that froze fifteen years later. I fall in love with this desert, I have old friends here, going back over twenty years. Last month, road construction took away a very old Ironwood that was my landmark in high school to find the remote booney party spot.

I have pictures of now mature saguaros back when they were first sprouting their first arms, here in the yard. I have 42 saguaros on this property. I know them.
Jbee
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 01:46:35 AM by jbeegoode »

nuduke

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 11:52:36 PM »

There is indeed a poignant nostalgia in your response, Jbee.  But hey!  Onwards and upwards, to opportunities new.  As you say, a visit to your old backyard may be possible in future and certainly to the range beyond.  I forgot to ask - how's it all going?  When might you move?
John

jbeegoode

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 05:55:32 PM »
Oh how I wish that I knew the answer to those questions.
Jbee