Author Topic: First Test for Ultra Light Gear  (Read 93 times)

jbeegoode

• View Profile
First Test for Ultra Light Gear
« on: March 05, 2019, 07:52:35 AM »
DF and I try out backpacking on a trail that we find we know little about.

https://thefreerangenaturist.org/2019/03/05/first-test-for-ultra-light-gear/

Jbee
Barefoot all over, all over.

BlueTrain

• View Profile
Re: First Test for Ultra Light Gear
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 10:53:39 AM »
Your posts (on your website) are always so interesting. They make my adventures seem like a hike to the mailbox and back in comparison. And the places you go are way more interesting than the woods I visit, any of them.

Is fire (forest fire, grass fire) a problem in that area like it is in California? I do recall reference to one burned over area in one post.

jbeegoode

• View Profile
Re: First Test for Ultra Light Gear
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 09:24:53 PM »
Around June, before the monsoons, the forests and grasslands can be dangerously dry. When a mountain burns, it is generally thorough. Still there are upwind areas, prevailing winds and always those areas where things are left intact, like in gullies.

If it is seasonal and lightning caused, they are generally left to nature, except buildings.

Sometimes erosion tactics are used like seeding slopes.

I could go on and on, but the answer is pretty much yes. We don't have those coastal winds, or moister. The grasslands are naturally set up for fire, for instance more potassium. There are some invasive species native grasses that are creating unnatural burns in grasslands, or are opportunistic and recover from fire better, chocking out the indigenous, when it is time for them to come back.
Jbee
Barefoot all over, all over.