Author Topic: Terri Sue Webb  (Read 236 times)

jbeegoode

• View Profile
Terri Sue Webb
« on: March 13, 2019, 11:34:24 PM »
There was mention of this crusader in that article that Bob put out. I hadn't heard of this. It is old news, 2003 and before.

http://naturistaction.org/Local_Issues/Bend__Oregon/bend__oregon.html

It is interesting that they immediately took her to be mentally disordered, kept that tack, exploited that tact and ended with it, overriding her issue.

Anyway, it is good to see NAC defending free range activities and stating that their mission is to not maintain status quo, but to expand nude rights.

Wiki:
https://ipfs.io/ipfs/QmXoypizjW3WknFiJnKLwHCnL72vedxjQkDDP1mXWo6uco/wiki/Terri_Sue_Webb.html
Jbee
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 11:42:06 PM by jbeegoode »
Barefoot all over, all over.

MartinM

• View Profile
Re: Terri Sue Webb
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 08:54:19 AM »
I canít think that I have never come across this before but, if I did, I had forgotten. Terri sounds very likely to have been one if the inspirations behind Steve Gough in the UK, who commenced his first naked walk through Britain in 2003 but got into trouble on his second walk in 2005. There are many similarities in his stance and refusal to dress for court or in prison, but ended up spending many years, much in solitary confinement, because of his persistence and long refusal to give in to authority.

Tread lightly upon the earth!

John P

• View Profile
    • My naturist page
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 03:59:26 PM »
I do recall Terri Sue Webb, and I remember thinking at the time that the Naturist Action Committee was making a lot of fuss over a lone individual, and that it looked as if they very much wanted to find a female activist. (Do we still want one?) I wasn't totally surprised when the NAC stopped talking about her, and she disappeared from the news. I did just do a search on her name, and came up with one report saying she'd been arrested for criminal trespass in 2010, but that ended "As of 2015, her whereabouts are not known." She just seems to have vanished. People who like conspiracy theories might say that she was being troublesome, and her mental issues were exaggerated or falsified in order to get rid of her. I doubt that, but I can't say if it's true or not.

Of course the best-known U.S. advocate for public nudity was Andrew Martinez, "The naked guy" in Berkeley CA. But his actions led directly to more restrictive laws in Berkeley, and his own mental decline and early death. Not exactly an inspiring story there!

Bob Knows

• Human bodies are natural, comfortable, and green.
    • View Profile
    • Greenbare Photos
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 04:25:57 PM »
Wikipedia has more current information on nudism and legal nudism than the Naturist Society or their "action" branch Naturist Action Committee.   One has to wonder if Naturist Society has done or is ever doing anything to promote actual Naturism in our land.

This is from The Oregonian, a general information newspaper..  https://www.oregonlive.com/entertainment/2015/06/public_nudity_in_oregon.html
Oregon state law is actually pretty lenient on nudity. To be charged with public indecency, you must be engaged in a sexual act or have "the intent of arousing the sexual desire of the person or another person."

The NAC notice (its only a notice) was from 2001, a long time ago.  Nothing said about protests, providing lawyers, appealing to superior courts, creating political pressure, etc., etc. etc.  NOTHING done. They left Ms. Nude Activist out to dry. 

So why would I pay to support Naturist Society if that's the level of support they fail to provide to nude activists?   
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 04:34:13 PM by Bob Knows »
Human bodies are natural, comfortable, and green.
To see more of Bob you can view his personal photo page
http://www.photos.bradkemp.com/greenbare.html

John P

• View Profile
    • My naturist page
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 04:42:24 PM »
An alternative possibility is that the NAC realized that Terri Sue Webb was genuinely mentally unstable and that she needed treatment, which wouldn't be compatible with being an activist. They might have been accused of "pushing this woman, with her fragile mental state, into a public role that's too stressful for her"--or various other scenarios that wouldn't have done anyone any good. And so they backed away from her fairly quickly.

Bob Knows

• Human bodies are natural, comfortable, and green.
    • View Profile
    • Greenbare Photos
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2019, 04:47:43 PM »
An alternative possibility is that the NAC realized that Terri Sue Webb was genuinely mentally unstable and that she needed treatment, which wouldn't be compatible with being an activist.

Yea, that's what organized nudists in the UK said about Steve Gough until the legal establishment got tired of looking like fools.  When BN finally stepped up they soon got big changes to happen in UK.   Some people say that every nudist is "crazy."  Probably to be a nudist and have the courage to risk going to jail for demanding a right to be naked does take a level of crazy.  It is the crazies who make changes.  I'm waiting for Nudist organizations to start advocating for nude rights, but I'm not holding my breath. 
Human bodies are natural, comfortable, and green.
To see more of Bob you can view his personal photo page
http://www.photos.bradkemp.com/greenbare.html

nuduke

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2019, 11:47:18 PM »

Quote from: Bob Knows
  It is the crazies who make changes.
Some of the crazies make changes but not all, I fear.  Gough hasn't really changed anything although as you suggest, Bob, that case may have spurred BN on to better things.  It's a pity that here aren't any celebrities who are naturists that are prepared to stand up and help make it 'cool'.  There are very few famous people who are prepared to admit to their (our) proclivity.  I bet there are loads of celebs that would be nudists if only they weren't under the gaze of the paparazzi 24/7 and forced to dress to look good all the time even when fetching the groceries!
John

Peter S

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2019, 07:20:07 AM »
A lot of the celebs either have or hope to get lucrative contracts to wear designer clothes as walking advertisements, or even just get given stuff to wear for the same reason. Thatís a lot of incentive to *not* promote the naked lifestyle  :(