Author Topic: A naturist tour of New Zealand  (Read 542 times)

jbeegoode

• View Profile
Re: A naturist tour of New Zealand
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2019, 09:51:49 PM »
There is more than one serious pollution problem signed. I looked the poisons up and they are for mostly rabbit control. We use the natural hawks, owls and coyotes here.

Do the signs mention water pollution in the fine print? I'm surprised that it is allowed to pollute the water rights of others, which is a call to arms here. All three are a hazard to dogs. I didn't see how it is applied.
Jbee
Barefoot all over, all over.

John P

• View Profile
    • My naturist page
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2019, 04:13:38 PM »
JBG, in New Zealand they're very conscious of having an isolated environment which has been damaged by imported animals. There are no mammals native to New Zealand, except whales and seals on the coast and three species of bats. Look at this plan:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predator_Free_2050

From the caves of Waitomo, we moved on to the Tongariro National Park, where there are three volcanoes which are considered active-- Ruapehu, Ngauruhoe, and Tongariro. There are some notable hikes to be made around the volcanoes, but the weather was bad here, so we only made a few short hikes out onto the lava fields and up to several waterfalls. One waterfall in particular, Taranaki Falls, was featured in the Lord of the Rings movie as "Gollum's Pool"--you can see the scene here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s2mxSBFyDI

But they used a lot of digital effects in the movie, which means it doesn't look totally recognizable.

There isn't a lot of nudity in this set of pictures, which was partly because of the weather and partly the fact that we were around a lot of people. We'll do better with the next episode.

Our first stop was Tawhai Falls. Of course Dan had a look...

And couldn't resist.

We walked out onto the lava fields.

Next we went to Taranaki Falls, which was “Gollum's Pool” in the Lord of the Rings movie. There were people around, however.

But, a quick look around...

No time wasted getting into the water...

It turns out to be rather shallow.

Naked people? No, I didn't see any.

A very partial view of Ruapehu from our rented house.

And another view from the road.

Two ideas of what it's necessary to wear out on the barren hillsides of Mordor (where the shadows lie).

Hazards of driving in New Zealand.

Next we went to Waitonga Falls, highest waterfall in the National Park.

The usual incidents happened.

Milt got to hold a baby. I never quite understood why.

Scenes along the trail. This one is by Rainer.

There is a hotel in the park, where certain hazards occur. The eruption was in 1995, and the hotel survived.

We passed a preserved railroad tower, where I got my hands on the levers of power.

Next was the Tokaanu Thermal Walk. There's a commercial swimming pool, which of course was no attraction to naturists, but you can walk around freely.

The weather this day was grey and drizzling, but it made the billows of steam even more dense.

If it said “Wet paint” he'd have to stick his finger in!

We drove along beside Lake Taupo, and even though it was raining lightly, a quick swim occurred.

The outlet from Lake Taupo is via Huka Falls. No swim took place here.

Next, Rotorua, the hot spring capital of the world. Here's a marae, a Maori meeting house.

A little shrine to Queen Victoria, all surrounded by steam.

A few scenes in the city park, where there are a lot of hot pools, all fenced off because they're boiling.

But over in one corner there are a couple of pools with very comfortable temperature.

Very pleasant to dip one's feet in.

Evidently they expect some people to lie down in the water, but we thought our style might lead to trouble (apart from possible health issues).

This is the city museum, formerly the government bathhouse. But notice the fence around it.

Here's why.

Rainer's picture of it from across the park.

We went up a nearby hill where you can view the thermal features. Here are “Two geezers and a geyser”.

Then we walked through a forest of redwood trees, imported from America but doing well here.

Our rented house was the most luxurious one that we had, with a view over the lake.

The dinner crew.

Sunset again.

jbeegoode

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2019, 04:56:01 PM »
Ya know...the pool...Gandolf...jus' gotta say that....

The computer makes it looks so much different. It is very surprising.
Jbee

nuduke

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2019, 05:56:26 PM »

If you look at that LOTR clip it's easy to see which parts of the scene were really NZ and which were polystyrene rocks.  Surely the ones behind Frodo's head early on in the clip are studio? 
Your pictures John P as ever are spectacular.

Is Dan immensely hardy, physically fearless and impervious to cold?  And what was that whacky dress he was wearing on Tokaanu Thermal Walk?  I wish I has the balls.
He has by default and association become a friend!  Whilst I suppose he has little truck with technology, could you persuade him to join our throng here?
John

John P

• View Profile
    • My naturist page
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2019, 05:45:36 AM »
Well Nuduke, Dan is pretty much as you describe him. Just add "personal charm"! About that "dress"--when he wears clothes, he's 100% a skirt man, and his answer to the perpetual question about underwear is "There's only one way to wear a kilt." (It's not necessary to repeat the usual joke.) I'm sorry to say, Dan is already a member here, with the name FreewalkerMA, but he's never been very active. I've told him about my report on the NZ trip and perhaps he'll comment eventually.

Onward.

Basing ourselves near the hot spring center at Rotorua, we did some touring nearby. Rainer has asked me not to show any pictures where he's recognizable, so you will see some use of The Hat.                       

So, a day after seeing the town, we set off for a day of touring hot pools. We started early, hoping to get some of the places to ourselves.

Waiotapo is one of the best, and popular with tour buses. “Wai” = water, “tapu” = sacred. But it's boiling, so not a spot for a swim.

But then—Kerosene Creek! We weren't early enough to avoid everyone, but it turned out not to matter.

This was one place where Dan didn't show off his enjoyment of cold water!

It's a stream of hot water, just the right temperature for a long soak.

There's even a hot waterfall!

Yes, there were people there when we arrived. But Dan just asked “Do you have a problem with nudity?” and they said it was fine.

So we had a mixed nude-textile visit.

Breakfast beside the stream.

Eventually there was a fair crowd.

Next we climbed Rainbow Mountain.

There's a very blue warm pool at its base.

And a view from the top.

Steam rises from vents on the slope.

Next was “The Nameless Hot Pool” in another stream.

This is very hot water, and you can't sit in it for very long.

Another clothed encounter, and as usual, no problems.

And more warnings of danger.

Next, on to the “Hot and Cold Pool” where a hot stream meets a cold one.

Again, “Does anyone mind nudity?”

Time to go. Sigh.

I liked the word “Trundler”.

Another evening in Rotorua.

Dinner cooked by me! Eggplant Parmesan, with some substitutions of ingredients.

Wallabies are a pest? Apparently.

We went to a series of waterfalls, but swimming wasn't really a possibility.

There was white-water rafting going on.

You can go down steps to a cave, but there's a locked gate at the entrance.

We chatted with some local people and their American guests.

Our last evening at Rotorua.

The following day, we drove on to the complex of gold-mining tunnels and walkways at Karangahake Gorge.

Warnings about this and that.

There are toys you can play with, but the car was chained to the track, so no rides.

This picture is the previous one, processed with the brightness turned up to the max.

Same again.

I'm sure the tunnel with the gate is the best one.

Lunch beside the river, where a pleasant swim also  occurred.

We walked back through the forest, where you're asked to disinfect your shoes to protect the endangered kauri trees from disease.

This isn't a kauri tree.

They're always warning you about something.

And all the best stuff has gates to keep you out.

Our last stop of the day—I don't recall the name of these falls, but there were kids playing there, so no swim.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 06:05:05 AM by John P »

jbeegoode

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2019, 11:31:23 AM »
That third picture with Dan in Kerosene Creek, there is something in the water behind him. At first I thought a creature a sort of a cross between a koala bear, a mule and a lion. Nope, but then, what. My last stab at making sense maybe a guy with a large donkey. What are we looking at? ???

Definitely a wonderful day in a wonderful place. Glad that you all got past the obstacles and got enjoy yourselves in the nude.
Jbee

John P

• View Profile
    • My naturist page
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2019, 07:37:10 PM »
I didn't mention the monster that lives there, known as the "Kraken of Kerosene Creek". It likes its food well cooked!

But no, here's a section from the original high-resolution image from the camera, after I optimized the lighting and hit sharpen a couple of times:

What they're doing is standing close together while she holds up a phone in her right hand to take a selfie. In case anyone wonders, they had swimsuits on and there was nothing of a physically sexual nature happening.