Author Topic: Another one from Washington state--nude theater performance shut down  (Read 185 times)

John P

• View Profile
    • My naturist page
A small Seattle theater called the Pocket Theater had been hosting monthly nude improvisational comedy, but this has now been closed down by the licensing authorities, on the grounds that if the business has a liquor license (as the Pocket Theater does) they can't allow nudity. It's presumably a law intended to prevent strip clubs from functioning. I wonder how the regular press will report this, if they do. Here's the manager's announcement on their Facebook page:

Hello, everyone. I'm sad to report that in compliance with Washington State liquor law, the Pocket is forced to cancel Nudeprov this Sunday as well as all upcoming Nudeprov shows at the Pocket.

It was my understanding that since we did not allow alcoholic beverages into the theater during the performance that we were in compliance with Washington State law, but after a conversation with an enforcement officer this afternoon I have been informed that is not the case. A complaint was filed and we received a verbal warning referencing WAC 314-11-050:

"(1) Licensees may not allow, permit, or encourage employees (including him or herself) to:
(a) Be unclothed or in such attire, costume, or clothing as to expose to view any portion of the breast below the top of the areola or of any portion of the pubic hair, anus, cleft of the buttocks, vulva, or genitals.

(2) Licensees may not allow, permit, or encourage any person (including him or herself) on the licensed premises to:
(a) Perform acts of or acts which simulate, or use artificial devices or inanimate objects which depict;
The displaying of the pubic hair, anus, vulva, or genitals."

Any venue with a liquor license may not feature nude shows.

All tickets will be refunded this afternoon and I'll follow up over email with each person who purchased a ticket.

I'm sincerely sorry. I feel sad and frustrated at the regressive and arbitrary nature of the law, and frankly that the description of the law is more lewd than Nudeprov ever was. (And even so, it's incredibly puritanical and absurd to prohibit nude performances for consenting adults even if the content is sexual in nature.) You all are wonderful people and it was a pleasure hosting you at the Pocket. I'm working with the producers of the show to find a suitable venue for the future (if you know of ADA accessible venues ranging from 50-150 seats that do NOT have a liquor license please don't hesitate to reach out). Please email me at info@thepocket.org if you have further questions.

Thank you,
Sarah
Manager, Pocket Theater

Bob Knows

• Human bodies are natural, comfortable, and green.
    • View Profile
    • Greenbare Photos
Re: Another one from Washington state--nude theater performance shut down
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2019, 04:22:01 PM »
Well that's disappointing.   

In Washington State the Liquor Control Board was created after the end of Prohibition.  I is a powerful self serving organization that controls and licenses all sale of alcohol in the state.  For half a century all sale of bottled distilled spirits was only allowed at stores owned and operated by the Liquor Control Board.  Companies wanting to sell whiskey, for example, would have to pay big bribes to members of the Control Board (and Legislature)  to get their brand on its shelves.   They also control licenses for establishments selling alcohol by the drink.  That also was heavily corrupt for a long while and probably still is. 

Sometime in the last 20 years the citizens, by citizen petition and vote, got the state owned liquor stores closed so that privately owned stores could sell.  But the Liquor Control Board still regulates, taxes, and controls alcohol sales in this state.   There is way too much corruption money being given out for the Legislature to ever give freedom back to the people.

The Washington State Liquor Control Board prohibits selling alcohol where nude dancing is allowed.  That is left over from the same puritan morals that outlawed all alcohol a century ago.  Its not in the state laws, its in the liquor LICENSE requirements.  There is no freedom when you have to beg the state for permission and license to be born at a licensed hospital, to be buried by a licensed undertaker,  and for every part of life between.

Human bodies are natural, comfortable, and green.
To see more of Bob you can view his personal photo page
http://www.photos.bradkemp.com/greenbare.html

jbeegoode

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2019, 09:36:16 PM »
We have a law like this in Arizona, as do many states. It keeps a designation between us and money making exploitative nudey lewd behavior. You have to go to a non-liquored place for nude dancers. You get a regulated g-string and pasties with your BEER of cocktail. It came from the legislature. It is enforced by the liquor board, they can take away your liquor license. 

Twenty-five years or more ago (last time I was involved with dancers) the size of the strings and pasties varied, from time to time and I'm not too sure who the bars had to work with to establish that. They were generally to corespondent with state public nudity statutes. I remember the girls commenting on getting in trouble for the size of the waist bands.

This is the entertainment. A Naturist Resort can have a bar in it, serve liquor to embers and guests. This sounds like a threat to the resorts and a job for AANR. I wonder how much money they would pour into defending their "right" to serve liquor on premises. Certainly more than they spend on defending naturists rights.

Did the laws in Washington come from the legislature, or the liquor board?

Jbee

« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 09:42:44 PM by jbeegoode »
Barefoot all over, all over.

nuduke

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 09:39:12 PM »

You get a regulated g-string and pasties with your BEER of cocktail.
In the UK you get a beer mat and the waitress is 60 and wearing a hairnet, a cardigan, slippers and wrinkly woolen stockings!
John

jbeegoode

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 10:00:41 PM »
What a kinky place that you live in. To each his, or her own. I just couldn't imagine a young man paying to see that?!??  :o

On the other hand, what does a guy do with a collection of regulated G-strings and pasties after enjoying a few beers?
Jbee
Barefoot all over, all over.