Author Topic: Sunscreen Health Issues and Solutions  (Read 4035 times)

Bob Knows

• Human bodies are natural, comfortable, and green.
    • View Profile
    • Greenbare Photos
Re: Sunscreen Health Issues and Solutions
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2020, 01:46:02 AM »
A lot of anecdotal reports from the carnivore diet people report that they no longer get sunburned after switching to an all meat diet.  No toxic chemicals needed.
Human bodies are natural, comfortable, and green.
To see more of Bob you can view his personal photo page
http://www.photos.bradkemp.com/greenbare.html

jbeegoode

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2020, 01:23:26 AM »
Please share your personal notes when the sky allows it.
Jbee
Barefoot all over, all over.

BlueTrain

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2020, 01:45:03 PM »
A lot of what I read concerning health and diet is sometimes contradictory. But this is the first I've read about a carnivore diet.

I grew up eating bacon and eggs for breakfast, soup or sandwiches for lunch (came home for lunch in grade school), and all sorts of things for dinner, which was called supper. I know, supper is what you eat at midnight. Anyway, there was always plenty to eat and jokes abounded about not being able to eat everything on your plate. Everything was plain and well-cooked (or overcooked). There was nothing that could be described as "ethnic," meaning no spaghetti or anything Italian or Latin American. I don't think I ever ate pizza until after I left home. But it doesn't follow that I had a healthy diet. At any rate, I am 6'1" tall and about 175 pounds, which is about what I've been for the last 20 years, and it hasn't changed with retirement.

Just eat what your mother says to eat and everything will be fine.

Bob Knows

• View Profile
    • Greenbare Photos
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2020, 06:19:17 PM »
A lot of what I read concerning health and diet is sometimes contradictory. But this is the first I've read about a carnivore diet.

The ketogenic Diet has been around since the late 60s, also called the "Atkins" diet or the Dr. Atkins diet.  According to Wikipedia, "The ketogenic diet is a high-fat, adequate-protein, low-carbohydrate diet that in medicine is used primarily to treat difficult-to-control epilepsy in children. The diet forces the body to burn fats rather than carbohydrates."  While the Keto diet has had some success over half a century it still allows some carbs which limit its effectiveness.  More recently it has been taken to a zero carbs, zero sugar, no plant products level called a Carnivore diet, or Carnivore Way of Eating (WOE).  They don't use "diet" because that sounds like a temporary weight loss thing and not a way of life.  People who eat carnivore have many health benefits. They lose or gain weight whichever is needed to be optimum healthy.  Type 2 diabetes vanishes. Irritable bowel syndrome vanishes, as does the colon cancer it causes, when it isn't trying to cope with all that undigestable plant fiber.  They report healthier teeth, plaque and tooth decay are sugar caused.  They report more healthy skin, and that they don't get sunburned.  There are also significant studies that correlate lower risk of heart disease deaths to high fat consumption. Long time carnivore WOE people who have gotten body scans report NO artery blockage or fat deposits in liver and other organs, more healthy than the doctor administering the scans. 

Resistance to infectious diseases is also said to be greatly increased, but there isn't much profit selling pills and "treatment" to healthy people so there isn't a lot of published studies. There are some Facebook and other social media groups. The big commercial media is all pushing vegetables and selling pills to cure what they cause.

I've been eating carnivore for about 5 months.   I've lost about 50 lbs.  My own gray hair has turned back to golden brown. 

Its an old saying "You are what you eat."  We are animals made mostly of animal protein and animal fat.  Makes sense to eat what you are.

I grew up eating bacon and eggs for breakfast, soup or sandwiches for lunch (came home for lunch in grade school), and all sorts of things for dinner, which was called supper.

We had a lot of eggs for breakfast and tomato soup for lunch until about 3rd grade.  After that our mother quit fixing breakfast or lunch for us.  We had a lot of sugar cereal or pancakes which we fixed for ourselves.  I became the "chubby" kid at school. 

I know, supper is what you eat at midnight. Anyway, there was always plenty to eat and jokes abounded about not being able to eat everything on your plate. Everything was plain and well-cooked (or overcooked). There was nothing that could be described as "ethnic," meaning no spaghetti or anything Italian or Latin American. I don't think I ever ate pizza until after I left home. But it doesn't follow that I had a healthy diet. At any rate, I am 6'1" tall and about 175 pounds, which is about what I've been for the last 20 years, and it hasn't changed with retirement.

I'm 5'10" and the last time I saw 175 was about in the 8th grade.  During high school I mostly didn't get breakfast or lunch and had to walk 4 miles home from school because I didn't have bus fare, then mother gave us some small amount of crap for dinner.  On holidays we got to visit our father and ate like ravenous dogs.  I was a very fit 190lbs or so when I graduated from high school.   But weight has been a lifelong struggle.  I know about the Keto diet because I tried it in the 1970s.  My son introduced me to the Carnivore WOE. 

Eating a typical American diet I either gain weight, or always feel starved.  The Carnivore WOE is the first time in my life where I'm not hungry and losing weight.  I'm happy eating what I am and feeling good.

Just eat what your mother says to eat and everything will be fine.

I'm sure your mother was a lot better at feeding her children than mine was.

Salutations.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 06:27:00 PM by Bob Knows »

BlueTrain

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2020, 06:55:14 PM »
Nothing I ate until well after I got married ever made me fat. Most people would say I'm not fat now, maybe even skinny, although my own perspective is different. Some of that time I may not have been getting enough to eat, although no one either in my first family (my mother's family) or my second family (my stepmother's family) were fat and never were and there was nothing special in anything we ate. The trick may be getting born in the right family.

I may have mentioned this before but when attending my 50th high school reunion in 2014, I noticed that no one's basic body shape had changed, at least of those who I remember (not everyone in attendance were part of that class-they were the spouses of other graduating classes or were from somewhere else). And I swear, there were two or three that looked no different. They almost seemed to have aged scarcely at all. Most had, though. Everyone also had the same mannerisms, too. I wonder if any of them thought I had changed. There were also a surprising number who had already died and since then, two more have died that I had known fairly well in school and had seen at the reunion. I've since met with a few of them when I was in town a couple of years ago. 3

What one should eat, I believe, will also depend on what they do and where they live. That is, people doing physical labor, if there are any, will obviously need a higher calorie diet than someone like me, who sat at a desk for most of my working life. That probably seems obvious but those who live in colder climate should eat more, too, at least if they ever go outside. This all assumes you can get whatever you want to eat, which apparently most people do, although that's not the same as getting what you should eat.

People selling meat are out to make a profit, too, just as much as everyone else. You either make a profit or you have a loss.

jbeegoode

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2020, 08:49:57 PM »
When I went veg, I dropped the carbs and had much of the same results that you are having. When I went primarily raw, it honed it. Since you are having such good results on the other side of the spectrum, it must have a lot to do with getting rid of the carbs and processed foods wrapped up in the American diet, what we dropped off in common.

The ketosis is quite a concept to me, but when I adjust my balance by a fast, much the same seems to happen. I get off of the burning of sugars, lose hunger, mood swings diminish and among other benefits, I smell better, skin is healthier, less oil.

The indigestible materials in veggies, will scrape away the stuff that builds up in the digestive tract, that which is a good thing over staying its welcome and getting rancid, and getting in the way. Meat stuffs me up, but you say that is good and efficient, while I'd call it uncomfortable and a difficulty when extracting it out of the shoot.

While eating just meat, do you eat wild meat, the animal's guts and organs, or make a point to stay away from antibiotic infested, unnaturally high fat feedlot beef and factory poultry and pork? I stuck with kosher for awhile.
Jbee

BlueTrain

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2020, 09:20:27 PM »
Supposedly beef (presumably cooked) is the easiest meat to digest. But then, what about other meats and fish (which some do not include with meat) and I guess, eggs, too.

One of the best discourses about diet, meaning simply what you eat, that I've read was written by Horace Kephart just about a hundred years ago. And that was before most of the genetically modified, fortified, highly refined food we have today, although canned foods were available and there was no real inspection of food like there is supposed to be today. I won't even begin to describe it but it is well-worth reading for a no nonsense, practical review of food and eating. On that point, food is one thing but how you eat it is important, too. We'd probably be shocked at how some of our ancestors ate. They don't seem to have worried about it as much as we do these days. Quantity came first.

Supposedly Eskimos and Indians of the far north eat the contents of the guts of caribou, which makes up for the lack of greens in their normal diet. But if nothing else, that probably illustrates the limitations of taking the diet of a relatively limited group of people and somehow trying to relate that to what you yourself eat, and assuming that what you eat now is wrong and that you should eat what someone else eats everyday.

Ah, I see the desert cart is coming around. Sorry, gotta go. 

Bob Knows

• View Profile
    • Greenbare Photos
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2020, 02:12:05 AM »
The indigestible materials in veggies, will scrape away the stuff that builds up in the digestive tract, that which is a good thing over staying its welcome and getting rancid, and getting in the way. Meat stuffs me up, but you say that is good and efficient, while I'd call it uncomfortable and a difficulty when extracting it out of the shoot.

No, it doesn't work that way. You can't judge by eating meat for one or two days.  The indigestible vegetable fiber scrapes the sides of your intestines and causes Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) and eventually colon cancer.  When you stop eating all that undigestable plant fiber your colon stops being irritated. IBS and Colon cancer are prevented.  In a couple of weeks you dump all the stuck vegetable matter. There is no more "stuff" stuck in your intestines. For a while you get the "carnivore runs" that just flush everything out.  Carnivore eaters don't suffer from constipation.  When there isn't any plant fiber to soak up all the water, it takes time, sometimes months, for your colon to return to absorbing water out of food residue as it is designed to do.  Eventually you only need to poo every 5 to 7 days, more or less.  Carnivore food has very little waste to dispose of. There also is very little gas to pass.

While eating just meat, do you eat wild meat, the animal's guts and organs, or make a point to stay away from antibiotic infested, unnaturally high fat feedlot beef and factory poultry and pork? I stuck with kosher for awhile.  Jbee

Among carnivore WOE people there is some "sub cult" advocates who say they eat only grass fed beef, but the research shows that the only significant differences between grass fed and feed lot finished beef is that grass fed is more expensive, but feed lot finished has more fat and is more tender.  High fat is GOOD.  Carnivore WOE says to get like 40% or more of your calories from animal fat.  We need animal fat instead of carbs to supply our energy.  I eat beef, pork, and chicken, plus sausage, salami, etc., from my local supermarket, and look for sales.  I could also eat duck, goat, venison, mutton, fish, or shellfish, which I don't eat much of.  And also eggs, or butter and hard cheese which are animal fat.  Personally, I don't enjoy fish and I don't get much venison or goats at my local market.

There is a sub cult that is always going on about eating the offal, but most of us eat the meat we find on sale at our local market.  There is another sub cult that says to eat beef raw.  I prefer my beef "medium" and my pork well cooked.  The raw people are risking infection.

The whole point is to eat what we are made of, animal protein and animal fat.  Don't count calories.  Eat when you are hungry.  Eat as much as you want until you aren't hungry.  Don't eat because it's "time to eat," and don't eat because of boredom or need for an activity.

Anyway this is the first time in my life I've ever been able to eat all I want of dense calorie rich food and not get fat.  And my health is doing really good. 

May you live long and prosper.

Bob Knows

• View Profile
    • Greenbare Photos
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2020, 02:18:06 AM »
One of the best discourses about diet, meaning simply what you eat, that I've read was written by Horace Kephart just about a hundred years ago. And that was before most of the genetically modified, fortified, highly refined food we have today, although canned foods were available and there was no real inspection of food like there is supposed to be today.

Yes, a lot of good information gets ignored.

Medical literature published in 1796 said that not eating carbs or sugar would prevent diabetes, but that was mostly ignored, and was completely ignored after the 1920s when doctors discovered they could make a fortune selling artificial insulin.  Now we have a diabetes epidemic affecting close to 1/4 of the population and still they recommend a carb and sugar diet.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 02:19:39 AM by Bob Knows »

BlueTrain

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2020, 11:21:53 AM »
If you want to read something new, read an old book.

With regards to Horace Kephart's books, some still in print, most of what he wrote about food and eating was from the standpoint of camping and also hunting, so the chapters devoted to food and cooking (and eating), about six in all, don't really constitute a basic kitchen cookbook. Other writers of the period, however, wrote about campfire cooking and barely mention food and eating. One old guidebook devoted four or five chapters on campfires. They're all interesting in their own way, though, and are not too dated. Places where you can still have a campfire are relatively scarce these days and in those places where it is, the firewood is scarce.

jbeegoode

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2020, 05:01:07 PM »

Supposedly Eskimos and Indians of the far north eat the contents of the guts of caribou, which makes up for the lack of greens in their normal diet. But if nothing else, that probably illustrates the limitations of taking the diet of a relatively limited group of people and somehow trying to relate that to what you yourself eat, and assuming that what you eat now is wrong and that you should eat what someone else eats everyday.

Ah, I see the desert cart is coming around. Sorry, gotta go.
Many hunter gatherers are known to eat those guts. It is a prize. The carnivore animals in packs have dominance sociology. The dominate one will get first crack and they always go for the guts the organs, the belly. It is apparently more than inconvenience to get at. I figure that to be innate knowledge, but as far as I know, assumption.

It is apparent that some cultures must rely on meat. There was fermented preserved foods in winter for most northerners. It makes sense that a bodies survival rate would increase, if they needed to shift into ketosis and eat meats.

Rolling Thunder, the bruho, always said to eat what your ancestors ate.
Jbee

jbeegoode

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2020, 05:13:51 PM »

...No, it doesn't work that way. You can't judge by eating meat for one or two days.  The indigestible vegetable fiber scrapes the sides of your intestines and causes Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) and eventually colon cancer.  When you stop eating all that undigestable plant fiber your colon stops being irritated. IBS and Colon cancer are prevented.  In a couple of weeks you dump all the stuck vegetable matter. There is no more "stuff" stuck in your intestines....
It is rare that one has IBS and colon cancer and usually there is no linkage between veggies and such. It is the other western crap that creates the problems. These conditions are results of modern diet. The China Study showed the remarkable increased frequency when veggie people switch to western crap. Most of those veggie people eat grains, however, rice, corn, wheat, etc. converting to sugars. The western diet that they switch to includes meat, but that doesn't mean WOE.

I used to eat mostly meat and when my son's mother put him on a veggie diet, I made sure that he got a nice steak each week. ::)

Jbee
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 05:57:54 PM by jbeegoode »

jbeegoode

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2020, 05:54:02 PM »
Bob Wrote: "Among carnivore WOE people there is some "sub cult" advocates who say they eat only grass fed beef, but the research shows that the only significant differences between grass fed and feed lot finished beef is that grass fed is more expensive, but feed lot finished has more fat and is more tender."

There has been extensive creative, or tainted  research by the cattle and dairy industry to create propaganda. The FDA is full of their influences. Wild meat is lean naturally, cow feed lot meat is not. I wouldn't want to be what cows are. Slovenly penned in with no exercise, overweight with fat, fed antibiotics by the ton because of the circumstance, eating GMO grains and proteins with little variety, etc. If I am what I eat, I don't want it. I am very leery of pro-feedlot information. They are dupping the public and running the government for a huge profit.

Then there are the environmental pollution issues, but I won't get into those.

The herbivores have it correct in that plants get nutrients from the ground, produce a similar organic nutrient plant, and then pass this on to who eats it. Cows are often, just a middleman taking away a cut in the profit.

Even the carnivore scat that I see around here is mostly plant material, so they are eating plants to supplement along with the pieces of fur.

Animals eat grass and fast when they get sick, it is innate knowledge. Re-calibration, I  believe, is a part of life.

I switched my dog over to fatty dog food, canned meat and chunks from the butcher. He fell over with a heart attack within two years, and after being an athlete.

I'm truly hoping that this all-in eating plan is working for you in the long term. Our bodies are very adaptable. I'll stick to what is working for me, but when it doesn't work, I'll change. I'm searching out a most natural dietary solution, like how I'm naturally nude on a nice, or a hot day and be aware of the benefits as they come.
Jbee

BlueTrain

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2020, 09:05:07 PM »
Well, there has certainly been plenty to digest in this thread.

People use certain words, sometimes too often, that leave me in some doubt as to whether they have any real meaning any longer. Words like natural and organic. I used to think that organic only meant it contained no petroleum products but that may no longer be true. I eat brown beans (pinto beans) now and then. You have to sort them to pick out the occasional pebble. That means that a bag of plain dried beans cannot be organic. Or can it? But organic now carries a certified label, if it really is, mostly. But natural, well, who knows what natural is? Few things we eat are really natural and then there's the question of cooking. I am cautious about any claim that something is natural. In one sense, either everything is or nothing is.

On the other hand, however, it doesn't bother me when I see advertising for any food product. It's only natural (!!!) for producers to try to persuade consumers to buy their products, whether their good, bad, natural or unnatural, organic or not. Hopefully it isn't misleading, though that presumably could happen. They are also doing it to make a profit--not a loss. I don't know how much profit is a huge profit, though, or how much is just about right. Making a profit isn't easy, you should know.

Anyone shop farmer's markets, that sometimes set up in the corner of big parking lots? Don't think they've been dragged into this discussion (of sunscreen!).

Bob Knows

• View Profile
    • Greenbare Photos
« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2020, 07:41:39 PM »
I am going to share this even though it comes from Facebook.  Similar stories are posted every day on the Carnivore FB groups. One could argue that its anecdotal, but its real people who have amazing health improvements from eating a healthy diet.  This person previously suffered from serious heart problems and bad digention troubles.  Gone.

Brandel J Rogers‎ to  World Carnivore Tribe
11 mins

So a dear friend shared this page with me a few months ago, I was super skeptical about trying the diet because I have heart failure and several heart related complications and crohns but I did it finally. Three weeks in and I am officially off of all blood pressure meds, and anti platelets, my abdominal issues are gone and my cholesterol has actually decreased. I feel better than I have in 25 years! Thank you Hardus Bruwer for sharing this life changing experience with me! I owe you my life!