Author Topic: A couple of short trips  (Read 172 times)

John P

• View Profile
    • My naturist page
A couple of short trips
« on: June 10, 2019, 04:04:42 AM »
Last Wednesday I went off to do a solo hike around a reservoir called Dykes Pond in the town of Gloucester, about 25 miles away. Maps show trails around the lake, so I thought it might be a nice walk, and so it was. Signs say "Public drinking water supply" so no legal dip, though. And there were a few mosquitoes, oh well. Then on Friday my wife and I did a couple of hours of canoeing on Hubbard Pond in southern New Hampshire--you can see Mt Monadnock on the skyline in a couple of the pictures. This time there were no restrictions on swimming! The lake is in a state forest there, but we found that there's a youth camp on it, operated by the Audubon Society with some kind of concession arrangement. It was very quiet while we enjoyed the place, and I paddled nude a lot of the time, but judging by the row of canoes neatly arranged by the water, it looked as if the camp was just about to open for the season. No, Kathy and I don't agree on how harmful the sun is.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 03:08:11 AM by John P »

jbeegoode

• View Profile
Re: A couple of short trips
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 03:33:59 AM »
Big rock looks like giants making arrow heads.
Jbee
Barefoot all over, all over.

Bob Knows

• Human bodies are natural, comfortable, and green.
    • View Profile
    • Greenbare Photos
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 03:05:34 PM »
That rock looks seriously out of place.  I wonder what the geology is in those parts. 
Human bodies are natural, comfortable, and green.
To see more of Bob you can view his personal photo page
http://www.photos.bradkemp.com/greenbare.html

John P

• View Profile
    • My naturist page
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 03:07:36 AM »
New England shows the signs of being a glaciated landscape. Those isolated boulders are called "erratics", and they're pretty common. They're chunks of rock picked up by glaciers and moved some distance, then left behind as the ice melted--often a long way from any similar rock. They make intriguing landmarks. Here's a visit to another one:

And here's a GPS track of our Hubbard Pond cruise, though I didn't remember to turn the recording function on until we'd gone part-way down the lake:

jbeegoode

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2019, 07:17:16 PM »
So,"erratics" eh? Everyone knows that it was Paul Bunyan and Blue. Of course there are other tales of mularcky about a race of giants and even space peoples with beams of light that carry about big things.  ::)

Guess it takes more than a few millennia to take off those sharp edges.

John P., do you have a list of favorite lakes? That one looks to have some marshes making for bug pests. I remember mosquitoes coming out only toward the evening. Is that the way it works there?
Jbee 
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 07:20:57 PM by jbeegoode »

John P

• View Profile
    • My naturist page
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2019, 01:17:44 AM »
Yes, there's an hour or so just around the time that the sun goes down where the mosquitoes are at their worst. What discourages mosquitoes is wind and bright sunshine, but it's usually calm then. You can find them any time in cool damp spots, but late in the day (or when conditions are equivalent in the early morning, if you're so foolish as to be up and about) they'll come after you.

Favorite lakes? Oh JBG, there are so many! But First, Second and Third Debsconeag Lakes in northern Maine are very nice! See a report:
https://naturist.neocities.org/Debsconeag/debs.html

jbeegoode

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2019, 02:21:17 AM »
My ordeal in nearing an end. My mind is gathering the repressed wanderlust that I have craved. Summer is here and June is hot and dry. I remember places of water and grass. There will be wider ranging road trips, beginning sooner, or later. Your story makes me thirst.
Jbee