Author Topic: Archiane, Vercors  (Read 497 times)

jmf

• View Profile
    • randonnues
Archiane, Vercors
« on: November 01, 2019, 08:48:35 PM »
A new post on my blog: a group naked hike on the 30th of october
 http://www.randonnues.fr/?p=6070
I like hiking, running, kayaking, biking, sailing, geocaching...naked of course!

jbeegoode

• View Profile
Re: Archiane, Vercors
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2019, 09:36:08 PM »
How wonderfully rugged! The terrain is spectacular. It looks wilderness.

Is Mont Aiguille the one that looks like the "Devil's Tower" ripe for a close encounter of the third kind?

20km or 12 miles with so much elevation change. Over a mile up. I'm sure DF and I would do such a hike in two days, camping out there with stars, with so much up and down climbing. If I am climbing so much, I'll try to arrange for it all to be downhill. ;D

There is always the question of carrying more weight to camp, or a lighter load for a day hike. We get farther when we aren't carrying 10 pounds plus water. We climb easier with less load.
You looked to have large backpacks. What is in there? Emergency blankets, heavy clothes?

Was there fresh water along the way?
Jbee

« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 09:41:18 PM by jbeegoode »
Barefoot all over, all over.

jmf

• View Profile
    • randonnues
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2019, 04:39:26 PM »
There are a few other views of Mont Aiguille on this post:
 http://www.randonnues.fr/?p=4386

It's autumn, the nights are now too cool for camping.  In my bag there were warm and waterproof clothes but they didn't serve, water because there isn't any on this limestone plateau, a snack, two cameras, binoculars and a first aid kit.
I like hiking, running, kayaking, biking, sailing, geocaching...naked of course!

jbeegoode

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2019, 06:29:28 PM »
This place gives me a sense of wonderment and awe, even more than the other places that you have had us visit with you. You have brought us to a place like the feet of God and nailed it in these photos. I get a kick out of this place as it is unique, atypical.

Limestone, up from an oceans floor! It never occurred to me that the Alps were not typical granite. Are there extensive caves, crystals, underground rivers?
Jbee
Barefoot all over, all over.

jmf

• View Profile
    • randonnues
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2019, 09:13:58 AM »
The central part of the Alps is made of granite, but the so-called Pre-Alps, where my favourite hikes are, the Chartreuse and Vercors mountains, are made of limestone. It is also the kingdom of cavers, so many caves are there.

Look at:
http://www.randonnues.fr/?p=1488

nuduke

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2019, 08:39:13 PM »

Those cave formations are impressive!  The mind plays tricks, seeming to form them into nearly recognisable shapes but just falling short of anything recognisable!  Fascinating!
John