Author Topic: Sonoita and South, Huachuca Mountains, Miller Canyon  (Read 152 times)

jbeegoode

• View Profile
Sonoita and South, Huachuca Mountains, Miller Canyon
« on: February 14, 2020, 05:07:22 AM »
BAck in 2012, we took a drive without a camera. I've pasted together some illustrations to make the story and rewrote much of it.
https://thefreerangenaturist.org/2020/02/14/sonoita-and-south-huachuca-mountains-miller-canyon/

Jbee
Barefoot all over, all over.

BlueTrain

• View Profile
Re: Sonoita and South, Huachuca Mountains, Miller Canyon
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2020, 01:49:05 PM »
That was a nice article.

It's always nice to visit a place that you haven't been to for a few decades, although the changes can be startling. There can be housing developments and "pop-up" shopping centers where there use to be woods or open field. It seems like anyplace there's a big new housing development, pretty soon there's also a brand-new shopping center with the same selection of stores: a big box hardware store, a supermarket, a beauty salon, a bank, a gas station and a Chinese restaurant. All the essentials for contemporary life.

It can easily go the opposite way, although that's less common. I can think of at least one country road where houses have disappeared and in fact, near my hometown, whole villages have disappeared to the extent that one would never know there had been a bustling community there. But that doesn't happen in many places. I think there may be a lot more parks and other reserved areas than there were fifty years ago and I'm not sure that's a good thing.

It's also equally amazing to visit a place you haven't seen for a long time and it looks like nothing has changed at all.

nuduke

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2020, 05:35:15 PM »

Unusually this report illustrates a lot of flat plain land.  Really interesting contrast to your usual rocky and mountainous haunts, Jbee!
Was it further afield?  Seems not. The Sonoita Patagonia road and Huachuca City seem to be just about an hours drive from Tucson.
John

jbeegoode

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2020, 06:02:54 AM »
This place is incredibly diverse. Three great desert regions collide, mix, the weather varies, seasons, and elevation is a mix, with sky islands (see the sky island post). High desert grassland. It is just a few miles from the Whetstone Mountain areas.

This area gets the monsoon first, it is higher, it is 6 or 7F coolers average, more likely to freeze, tougher on cactus. Cattle ranching has had an impact, but it used to support huge herds of deer, etc. Fire is a part of the ecosystem. Jaguar will be seen in that area, up from the Chihuahua region and the Sierra Madre Mountains. Some of those mountains that we visit are just up the hill from where we stopped, we can see where we go in the mountains from below.

Most of where we go is within a two or three hour drive from central Tucson. White mountains 5 hours, where we like. Mexican beach, four of five hours. Not even a full days drive for the California coast, but we have so much to explore right nearby. I've got a big list of places yet to be visited in just Southern Arizona. Then, there is the Mongollon Rim and the painted deserts.
Maybe Lake Powell this Fall.
Jbee
Barefoot all over, all over.