Author Topic: Hiking skirt (and other clothes quick to change out of)  (Read 67773 times)

Karla

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Hiking skirt (and other clothes quick to change out of)
« Reply #120 on: August 07, 2019, 07:27:49 PM »
I recently bought a second hiking skirt by Royal Robins. My original was Taupe, the new one is green. I bought one from an outdoor shop only to find it was a pair of Skorts (shorts underneath a skirt). I actually wear then quite a lot in summer when travelling to and from work to maximise my Vitamin D. I then get changed into trousers back in the office.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00ZVHHLDG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

jbeegoode

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 08, 2019, 05:37:03 PM »
Women are now required to wear trousers at the office? I remember my girlfriend was so proud to have taken her school system to court and won the right to wear pants. It just wasn't done as business attire. So, next a boy must sue to wear a skirt, or a girl?

I notice that the kilts that I see have a tight waist to thigh line, like this one. Mine has only a thin belt, velcro, and elastic flex at the waist. It has the pleats across the back. It tends to catch air and plumb out, but it is easy to just undo and flip to the side when sitting in the car. Maybe there is a difference in modesty control, there that never occurred to me.

I don't know much of wearing skirts, etc.
Jbee
Barefoot all over, all over.

Peter S

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 08, 2019, 07:11:20 PM »
With the shift to gender neutrality, I think anyone could wear anything to anywhere now and not be challenged on it - or if they were challenged be able to claim damages and tabloid headlines. Except, of course, you couldn’t get away with going to work naked ...

jbeegoode

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 08, 2019, 07:50:44 PM »
NAked is certainly not gender neutral, no secrets or confusion there.  ;)
Jbee

John P

• View Profile
    • My naturist page
« Reply #124 on: August 08, 2019, 10:15:36 PM »
Well JBG, nudity may expose some undeniable differences, but at the same time it's neutral--nobody is being required or forbidden to wear any particular garment. Just "We'll all be naked". Then what shows, shows.

There were some instances in British schools a couple of years ago where boys wore skirts during a heat wave. The school uniform (uniforms are quite common in Britain) was a choice of long trousers or skirts, but not shorts, no matter how hot it was. The kids were allowed to do it, but I wonder if they tried it more than one day! It's ironic that some old-fashioned British schools actually do require boys to wear shorts, no matter what the weather is. That links up with another recent thread here, where I said male clothing is always likely to involve compulsion rather than free choice.

Karla

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 09, 2019, 12:20:41 AM »
Women are now required to wear trousers at the office?

I work as a software engineer and / or computer scientist so for most jobs I can wear what I like. So generally that's jeans. Sometimes when it's warmer I wear outdoor trousers which are looser. It rarely gets warm enough in Scotland to wear a skirt with bare legs and I don't find leggings or tights comfortable.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 12:22:49 AM by Karla »

HillwalkerDundee

• Hi. I'm Gary.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 09, 2019, 01:17:36 AM »
Wimp :-). I walk naked in the hills most days irrespective of the weather. Safety limits are -2c and no lightning.

John P

• View Profile
    • My naturist page
« Reply #127 on: August 09, 2019, 02:05:07 AM »
I didn't know you were back in Scotland, Karla. Anything to do with Brexit?

All the pictures here are thumbnails.

Here are Milton, Dan and myself in Florida a few years ago, in a picture taken by a ranger at the Ocala National
Forest. If he thought skirtmen were strange, I don't recall him mentioning it! Milton is in a custom-made number
produced by a friend's wife, and it's a wrap with velcro (its sad fate was to be lost in a boating accident, the
great Battenkill disaster of 2016). Dan has a pull-on type from Runningkilts Inc. I'm in a boring pair of shorts.

I made a few pictures out on the front porch, where I could put the camera down on the railing. Here's my usual
hiking skirt, a nylon wrap made as a women's swimsuit cover-up (a doubly useless item) which I bought on eBay.
It's made by Tyr, a swimsuit manufacturer, and although it's a women's large size, it was pathetically too small.
I added some velcro patches so it would be functional for me. This made the amount of overlap less, but it's
perfectly usable.

At the same time as the dark blue skirt, I bought this one, made by Columbia. It fastens with snaps and it's a
little tight on me, but once I've had it on for a minute it seems to settle into place. Rather than use this as a
hiking skirt, I tend to wear this one for clothed excursions when I'm with naturist friends. If you have to wear
clothes, at least be a little transgressive, that's what I say.

This shows how much overlap that Tyr skirt has. No full unwrap while I'm in public view!

Karla

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 09, 2019, 08:00:45 AM »
Wimp :-). I walk naked in the hills most days irrespective of the weather. Safety limits are -2c and no lightning.

I meant for sitting around :)

Agree about the lightning. We're not making that mistake again.

Karla

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 09, 2019, 08:09:18 AM »
I didn't know you were back in Scotland, Karla. Anything to do with Brexit?

We moved back at the end of 2014 / beginning of 2015. Germany wasn't working out for Stuart because he needed to speak German to get a job but couldn't learn the language stuck in a flat all day. It also gave me a chance to get a driving license. Every time I had been about ready to take the test I had moved and then needed to start learning again a while later. I would love to go back to Germany but Stuart doesn't want to. There are some situations though in which I will go though regardless. Namely if a right-wing authoritarian / fascist government rises up or the economy crashes so badly that we risk losing everything. Ironically one of the reasons for going to Germany was because I was worried about the way the wind was blowing over ten years ago.

BlueTrain

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 09, 2019, 01:09:51 PM »
If you don't want a right-wing authoritarian government, don't even think of moving to the states these days. Maybe things will change, though.

I don't think German is such a difficult language once you get past the idea that "auf" means "on." Of course, you might be expected to learn high German. People my age, though, can't learn anything new. British English (which sounds dumb to put it that way) is so straight forward. Where else do people say "way out" instead of exit. So why isn't it "Brayout" instead?

Karla

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 09, 2019, 08:13:10 PM »
It was only afterwards that it occurred to me why you asked if it was because of Brexit. Ironically coming back to Scotland and waiting a bit after the referendum made it easier for me to get a German passport (my dad's German though I was born and raised in the UK). I had been trying to get a German passport before the referendum but it was so difficult knowing what paperwork was required and so it never happened. When I phoned up the local council in Germany the advice they gave me was the same as for Turks moving to Germany with no German parents and directly  contradicted what the German government had published on the web. By the time I went to the consulate in Scotland they were well aware of what to do. I was so happy when I got my German passport. I haven't actually used it yet except to occasionally take it out and stroke it :)

Unfortunately I'm not fluent in German and have continued learning it since coming back, albeit with the occasional break though. I do love the language but I still lack confidence in anything other than reading it· I'm concentrating on using duolingo to learn the grammar. When I lived in Germany it was more important to work on my vocabulary so I at the very least I could throw words at people and let them figure out the grammar. A bit like outsourcing the job of speaking :) And it meant I didn't have to spend so long trying to read letters or forms.

BlueTrain

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 09, 2019, 09:26:00 PM »
That's okay. After all, my English isn't all that great. I'm an American.

jbeegoode

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 10, 2019, 12:25:06 AM »
I found that most Germans speak some English, which was much better for me. I took two years of German when I first started college. I remember how to conjugate one verb, but  don't know what it means. I can also avoid driving up the wrong ramp on the autofart-something or other.

It is enough for me to not get my French and Spanish mixed up in one sentence.

When I self taught me Spanish, I did the same vocabulary building thing. Totally mutilated their language in between nouns. Then I began to work on my Castilian inflections, accents and idioms sitting up drinking with friends in the bars at night. My dearest bro one day asked me carefully, "How come you always sound like you drunk when you espeak Spanish?" Guess I was too successful in my acquisition.

I picked up about 10,000 words overnight by learning to pronounce Latin based words in Spanish. Then, some people said that they thought my Spanish better than their own because I sounded so learned.

Yea, Bluetrain is correct about good 'ol USA. Fascism sucks. But that's too political to say more here.
Jbee

BlueTrain

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 10, 2019, 12:44:38 AM »
My brother-in-law is fluent in Spanish, mainly because he grew up in Chile, although he was born in Maryland. He honeymooned in Minorca and Spain. He said the Spanish spoken in wherever it was, probably the northeast, sounded funny. In any case, language teaching outfits teach Spanish Spanish, so to speak, and American Spanish, so I guess they're that different. But English and German and probably French are spoken differently in different places.

An interesting thing is that many languages have "academies" of learned men, presumably with white goatees and wearing tailcoats, who tell others how they're supposed to talk. There are sometimes different academies of the same language in different countries. But curiously, English has no such academy.

I'm not that worried about Fascism in this country, although it sure sounds like more people want it than might admit. But then, "Da muss Ordnung sein!"