Author Topic: The Old site  (Read 13574 times)

jbeegoode

• View Profile
Re: The Old site
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2015, 06:23:18 PM »
Quote from: Ian
I generally use Flickr but have also used Dropbox and ImageShack in the past.

Quote from: Stuart (from diff. thread)
As for image hosting, no rules yet, but if in doubt, use http://tinypic.com/

{mental image} - me being dragged, kicking and screaming into the 21st century

No, no! Not another new technology to learn! My brain hurts!

I've seen how Bob & Ian's posts look and would agree that they make a clean and neat arrangement in the post. I am not anti tech by even the broadest definition, but sometimes I get annoyed by the constant suggestions by developers that my life would be

I am still running an old PC with Windows XP, my cell phone is about 8 yrs. old and is a flip phone. I don't use any of the social media services. I get messages on my phone and when I look the screen says, "Unknown Format". I forward it to my email to read them. For me it is a ratio of annoyance/benefit and if the ratio is off in the wrong direction, I wait. I've learned that the pursuit of the latest and greatest always chewed up more of my time than it seemed to save.

It would be unreasonable for me to demand that others adjust to my stubborn ways. I'll learn this new way because now it is better to do it than to ignore it. The upside is by the time I get around to embracing a new method, most of the bugs have been worked out.

I'll survive.

Duane

My son up graded my PC last year, building me a new one for my B-day. It is quicker. I like it. I don't care to carry around these new gadgets, be chased like wearing a leash or leech or...I don't wear a watch. My cell phone has no texting, no camera, nothing but a phone and big numbers to read (they called it the geriatric model ;D).

Now, I'm learning how to run a blog, but that's okay. I embrace that, BUT having lack of relationship with tech for so long (a short time for me), It is a struggle. My geek son insults my ignorance and looses patience with me. I know when I walk naked of these and most all else in my natural environment, in the contrast, I know my true humanity and my true nature in this world and I'm then assured.

I like books, I like research and observation. Internet has opened a whole new way of communicating these things, self publishing with pictures in new ways, and instant postal service across the planet, quick information, are wonderful additions to books, papers and letters. Word processing is incredible. There is value. Now, if the colleges would just open up their hoards of peer reviewed secrets to the net, we would all be moving on in a much better fashion. Instead, short bytes and no depth are taking over the process of thought and opinion.
Jbee
Barefoot all over, all over.

Bob Knows

• Human bodies are natural, comfortable, and green.
    • View Profile
    • Greenbare Photos
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2015, 07:15:45 PM »

It would be unreasonable for me to demand that others adjust to my stubborn ways. I'll learn this new way because now it is better to do it than to ignore it. The upside is by the time I get around to embracing a new method, most of the bugs have been worked out.

I'll survive.

Duane

No, you don't have to, but if you want us to see your photos you do have to post them in a way that we can easily see and enjoy seeing.   Having the big ugly frames around "posted" photos was always irritating, but some of the time they were visible.   Other times, not so much.   Just the ugly frame and no photos. 

My old PC has Vista so XP is not an excuse.   If you don't want us to see your pictures, there is no reason you need to post them.  Just enjoy being naked.

Bob

Human bodies are natural, comfortable, and green.
To see more of Bob you can view his personal photo page
http://www.photos.bradkemp.com/greenbare.html

Karla

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2015, 07:51:10 PM »
I am still running an old PC with Windows XP

There are very good reasons for upgrading from Windows XP. Not because of any functionality or new-whizz feature but because Microsoft stopped supporting XP last April. This means that any new hacks that scammers have found won't be fixed. I personally like my technology to last as long as possible and I'm really discerning when it comes to buying gadgets, but I wouldn't want my credit card or important passwords anywhere near an XP machine anymore.

If it weren't for that I'd say that there was nothing wrong with continuing to use XP. Whatever you do though, don't update to Windows 8. You'll hate it. It will be completely different and not in any way better.

Bob Knows

• View Profile
    • Greenbare Photos
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2015, 11:35:16 PM »

There are very good reasons for upgrading from Windows XP. Not because of any functionality or new-whizz feature but because Microsoft stopped supporting XP last April. This means that any new hacks that scammers have found won't be fixed. I personally like my technology to last as long as possible and I'm really discerning when it comes to buying gadgets, but I wouldn't want my credit card or important passwords anywhere near an XP machine anymore.

There are good reasons for upgrading, but Windows 7 was not it.

Windows 8 was a good reason to keep your old PC.

They skipped Windows 9 for some unknown reason.  Some wag said it was because Windows couldn't tell the difference between Windows 9 and Windows 97. 

We haven't seen Windows 10 yet.   I'm not rushing out to buy.

Bob

eyesup

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2015, 03:32:36 AM »
My understanding of the release numbers is it depends on the type and number of changes made. If M$ skipped a release number, that is usually indicated that too many things were fixed/added/changed to justify an intermediate number.

It's really not a very complimentary thing.

When I 1st started using AutoCAD the 1st version I used was 9. The release before that was 2.6. They made that many additions and changes between 2 releases.

It also saves on all the printed material, back then, in order to document the changes. Just learn the new version and forget the old one.

Duane

Karla

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2015, 08:24:36 AM »
There are good reasons for upgrading, but Windows 7 was not it.

Windows 8 was a good reason to keep your old PC.

They skipped Windows 9 for some unknown reason.  Some wag said it was because Windows couldn't tell the difference between Windows 9 and Windows 97. 

We haven't seen Windows 10 yet.   I'm not rushing out to buy.

I actually like Windows 7, and I say that as a die hard Linux user since 1995. I rate it on a par with Windows XP, as one of the few good Windows operating systems. Not that I really minded Vista though. Maybe I just assume that everything's going to be slow and bloated the moment I boot into any Windows operating system.

Windows 8 is a nightmare though. When I built my latest computer I made sure to go with 7 instead. It makes me very nervous about choosing the free upgrade to Windows 10.

nudeytony

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2015, 08:55:39 PM »
The last Windows system I used was XP. When I decided to move from this about 2 years ago when it was no longer supported, I changed to Mac and have not looked back since. I had been unhappy for some time about the way some things in Windows worked and thought I would have a complete change, and I must say I have found it to be a much more user-friendly system and much better to use. In a way I have gone in a complete circle as the first computer I used was an Apple Macintosh at work in the late 80s.

Tony

jbeegoode

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2015, 10:21:13 PM »
I got a tablet that runs on all of the new stuff. It is frustrating. I was validated and felt much better when my computer geek son also spent 1 1/2 hours with me and failed to make sense of it. We did manage to play one song. I got the thing just as a music source for the meditation/energy class that I run. HOWEVER, I still have no music for the class. Yes, the new operating system isn't as slick as it looks.
Jbee
Barefoot all over, all over.

eyesup

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2015, 02:56:12 AM »
Tony?

Do I hear Sir Elton singing in the background?  ;D

Duane

nuduke

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2015, 09:58:54 PM »
Few things

1. If someone can work out how to own the TSNS URL, if and when it becomes available, I'd be happy to make a donation if we can work out how to do that (taking payments may be the more difficult aspect!).

2. It's gratifying that quite a few of the old crowd have become FRN castaways too.  But how do we reach Dave Balead?  I know he doesn't contribute as much but he was 'the father of the house' on TSNS - as I recall he was the longest serving contributor.  Hymie is next earliest joiner I think.  Oh danggggg!  There's no way to check that now (wipes away dewy tear).

3. I'm a microsoft person through and through.  This is not because of some silly partisanship or being the victim of marketing like many Apple customers are, but because I grew up many moons ago in a corporate environment where microsoft was all there was (after they pushed Lotus out of the market).  When things got beyond networked PCs and you could plug stuff in to your company network like laptops and your phone, I reckoned it would be prudent not to have to cope with multiple systems that weren't quite fully compatible even though they said they were (a situation that remains today).  And I've never bothered to do anything else.  Therefore I have everything Windows & Microsoft on PC, laptop, tablet and phone and I find it all works fine, give or take the odd glitch.  Having made the transition as many of us have, from DOS to early Windows through the well loved 3.1 and XP but happily missed out Vista, I don't consider it a big issue to transition up-version and am looking forward to Windows 10.  Once you get it done I always find that everything improves a bit.  Windows 8 has been the least beneficial improvement so far, however.  But it has enabled me to acquire a tablet that has literally changed my life!  (i.e. I hardly use my laptop and do more correspondence with you guys whilst in bed ...and often after midnight!)   

John

John

JOhnGw

• Almost anything worth doing is better done naked.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2015, 04:18:10 PM »
Given the ease with which Ian, myself and several others are including pictures in our posts without imposing on Stuart and Karla's bandwidth I am reminded of the numerous requests I used to have for special software to be installed on somebody's PC because they wanted a much advertised feature when that feature was already present on the software they had installed.
JOhn

Do not do unto others as you would that they should do unto you. Their tastes may not be the same.
George Bernard Shaw, Maxims for Revolutionaries

Bob Knows

• View Profile
    • Greenbare Photos
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2015, 03:59:15 PM »
Few things

1. If someone can work out how to own the TSNS URL, if and when it becomes available, I'd be happy to make a donation if we can work out how to do that (taking payments may be the more difficult aspect!).
John

The SNS domain registration has now expired.  "Domain Status: autoRenewPeriod"

There is a grace period for the registered owner to reclaim his registration.   The original person is listed as "Lookee Atmee"  a fake name.   At some time, not sure when, the site will become available for anyone to register for the price of a registration fee.   However, I'm not sure that it would benefit anyone without the data files, and those have apparently been deleted by some now-defunct server operation.

I wouldn't mind registering the domain if there is a purpose, but I don't really see one.  Free Range Forum is fine with me.  I've always been more of a free range person anyway. 

Bob

milfmog

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2015, 09:47:29 AM »
The SNS domain registration has now expired.  "Domain Status: autoRenewPeriod"

There is a grace period for the registered owner to reclaim his registration.   The original person is listed as "Lookee Atmee"  a fake name.   At some time, not sure when, the site will become available for anyone to register for the price of a registration fee.   However, I'm not sure that it would benefit anyone without the data files, and those have apparently been deleted by some now-defunct server operation.

I wouldn't mind registering the domain if there is a purpose, but I don't really see one.  Free Range Forum is fine with me.  I've always been more of a free range person anyway. 

Bob

Bob,

The value would come from providing a forward to this site (or a note to advise visitors to TSNS that this is where we can now be found). That might help us to sweep up any occasional visitors to the site who we have not managed to get hold of (I'm thinking of folks like the rarely seen Alf or Nova (Running Bare). I guess it might also provide a parachute if we overstay our welcome here and drive Stuart and Karla nuts, though I sincerely hope that will not happen.

Have fun,

Ian.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

eyesup

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2015, 07:07:43 PM »
That was my reasoning when I posed the question here.

There were a few from the old haunts that would pop in every now and then yet we have no way to get in touch with them.

A notice of, "You are being redirected  to . . . . " would be all that is needed.

Duane

Bob Knows

• View Profile
    • Greenbare Photos
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2015, 12:30:29 AM »
The old domain "secretnaturistsociety.org" has been renewed for another year, presumably by "Lookee Atmee" since he is the registered owner.   

Name: Lookee Atmee
Organization: Secret Naturist Society
Mailing Address: PO Box 970243, Ypsilanti MI 48197 US
Phone: +1.4194663930
Email:lookee@lookeeme.com

Creation Date: 2001-07-08T14:00:06Z
Updated Date: 2015-07-09T17:14:21Z
Registry Expiry Date: 2016-07-08T14:00:06Z