Author Topic: Cleanliness is next to free range-ness  (Read 10264 times)

Peter S

• View Profile
Cleanliness is next to free range-ness
« on: July 20, 2015, 07:26:28 PM »
From the Manchester Evening News:
Police were called to reports of three men stripped completely NAKED washing their clothes in a city centre fountain.
A security guard saw the trio around 10am Sunday morning cleaning their clothing in the Cathedral Gardens water feature, and called 999.
CCTV footage of the clean-conscious men showed one man had left on his socks to carry out the task.
Officers visited the men at the fountain, but found one man was covering his modesty with a pair of flesh coloured boxer shorts.
The men were advised by police about their actions and they then left the area.
City centre police tweeted: “Odd 999 10am; 3 men stripped naked & washing clothes in water feature Cathedral Gardens. 3 men from overseas advised and sent on their way.”

999 just because someone's naked? WTF??

I see they were from "overseas" - perhaps they were Dutch (see "encounters" thread)?

peter

reubenT

• View Profile
Re: Cleanliness is next to free range-ness
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 04:45:30 AM »
Maybe they were homeless and figured that was a good place to wash up. 

milfmog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 09:27:25 AM »
One day the police may learn to ask "What are the naked people doing?" and then point out that if what they are doing would be legal clothed then it is legal naked. It would help them to manage their budgets if they stopped responding to everything with no advance thought.

Well, I can hope.

Have fun,

Ian.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

eyesup

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 07:54:18 PM »
What does, "call 999" mean?

Here, I have seen the homeless, in the mornings, standing in the spray from lawn sprinklers. I've not seen any of them naked, but wearing as little as possible. They would stand and wash off as though they were in a shower stall. Rinsing clothes was also taken care of.

In the summer, it can be a relief and an invigorating way to start the day.

Duane

nudeytony

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 09:46:40 PM »
999 is the number to call in the UK in an emergency for police, fire, ambulance or coastguard. This would seem to be inappropriate in this case for 3 naked men doing nothing harmful or about to do something nasty. The security guard should have known better, he was probably bored on a quiet Sunday morning.

Tony

jbeegoode

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 10:07:55 PM »
One day the police may learn to ask "What are the naked people doing?" and then point out that if what they are doing would be legal clothed then it is legal naked. It would help them to manage their budgets if they stopped responding to everything with no advance thought.

Well, I can hope.

Have fun,

Ian.
But then they wouldn't have the fun of seeing naked people. Would you rather respond to a call about a harmless naked person, or a real crime? ::)
Jbee
Barefoot all over, all over.

jbeegoode

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 10:13:02 PM »
What does, "call 999" mean?

Here, I have seen the homeless, in the mornings, standing in the spray from lawn sprinklers. I've not seen any of them naked, but wearing as little as possible. They would stand and wash off as though they were in a shower stall. Rinsing clothes was also taken care of.

In the summer, it can be a relief and an invigorating way to start the day.

Duane
I worked a few years in a detox/rehab. There are many homeless who would smell better in the summer if they washed in sprinklers. It is difficult to bath and wash on the street. In Vegas it is very hot and any place cool cost money, or they would not be invited.
Jbee

eyesup

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2015, 06:11:20 PM »
Quote from: Jbee
There are many homeless who would smell better in the summer if they washed in sprinklers. It is difficult to bathe and wash on the street. In Vegas it is very hot and any place cool cost money, or they would not be invited.

I've been in soups kitchens and can tell you that even in the homeless community, there is stratification. It happens everywhere. Seizing an opportunity to clean up is a personal choice. I've seen folks you would never guess were homeless. They look like an average person out on errands. Others you can tell from any distance and lighting.

In this part of the west it's getting harder to find places that still have grass and need to run sprinklers for upkeep. Desertification is a major part of the Water Board's policies. Low maintenance and low water usage is becoming the norm here. It's the way it needs to be.

Duane

Bob Knows

• Human bodies are natural, comfortable, and green.
    • View Profile
    • Greenbare Photos
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2015, 06:30:25 PM »
From the Manchester Evening News:
Police were called to reports of three men stripped completely NAKED washing their clothes in a city centre fountain.

Seems to me that when Romans invented and installed city centre fountains, the main purpose was to provide water and washing for the people of the city.  Apparently the people and police of Manchester have no concept of the purpose of their own public works. 
Human bodies are natural, comfortable, and green.
To see more of Bob you can view his personal photo page
http://www.photos.bradkemp.com/greenbare.html

eyesup

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2015, 06:38:37 PM »
The Romans also had public baths, in cities affluent enough. There was little worry about gender mixing in a bath.

Much has been lost to history and memory.

Duane

Davie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2015, 01:19:14 PM »
Some of you will recognise the below quote from a thread on the BN website. Relating to the Police contol; room operators need to have a re-think on how they respond to reports of nudity. Should their response be:

"Was there anything beyond simple nudity, for example sexual or threatening behaviour?" "No". "Then It was probably just a naturist, and Naturism is not illegal, so nothing to worry about."
 or
"How terrible, you must have been traumatised, we will be there immediately, scramble the helicopter, expect a fleet of police cars. Have some tea and sympathy whilst we take your statement regarding these terrible events."

We know the answer don't we!

Davie  8)

nudewalker

• Normal is a setting on a dryer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2015, 04:34:54 PM »
The Romans also had public baths, in cities affluent enough. There was little worry about gender mixing in a bath.

Much has been lost to history and memory.

Duane

Yes, much has been lost to history not only the Roman baths but a lot of the Greek culture pertaining to nudity also. Most Christian scholars portray the behavior as decadent or sinful.

Some of you will recognise the below quote from a thread on the BN website. Relating to the Police contol; room operators need to have a re-think on how they respond to reports of nudity. Should their response be:

"Was there anything beyond simple nudity, for example sexual or threatening behaviour?" "No". "Then It was probably just a naturist, and Naturism is not illegal, so nothing to worry about."
 or
"How terrible, you must have been traumatised, we will be there immediately, scramble the helicopter, expect a fleet of police cars. Have some tea and sympathy whilst we take your statement regarding these terrible events."

We know the answer don't we!

Davie  8)

I must admit that there have been no incidents that have warranted a SWAT team response for nudity that I am aware of however two instances come to mind. One related to a gentleman reading in his front window and a mother called the police. It seems they passed him daily on the way to the bus stop but on investigation there was no way the man could have exposed himself to the children without standing on a chair. The other one was a neighborhood dispute where one woman flashed the other family, children included. She was cited for lewd behavior and public indecency because of the children. I'm not ready to push the envelope yet but I have never heard a police call on the scanner for simple nudity.
"Always do what you are afraid to do"-Emerson

jbeegoode

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2015, 06:11:31 PM »
I attended an informative lecture by Bob Morten, a head of the NAC this weekend. His anecdotal story was one of a man hiking in the forest up the hill from Los Angeles. He was arrested for hiking nude by a helicopter and 26 police officers. He had the book thrown at him. The result, with the help of NAC and the tenacity of the guy, was that all charges were dropped and an apologetic hand slap of an edict that declared policy in that area was issued. It wasn't, isn't and won't be illegal to hike nude in that government run forest. 

It happens. There are crazy police actions. There are a lot of some kind of dumb enthusiastic cops with peculiar attitudes about their positions. Lately, every week, there are guys like this are being exposed murdering, beating, abusing and torturing people. There are cops who want to be a hero, stepping out of their boundaries on a daily basis. If they don't have a law, sometimes they will apply another and abuse the system and the constitution that they are a sworn to uphold. We can't know which that we will get.

There needs to be a clarified policy in each department, an education given on nude activity and law. Perhaps each of us needs to get together with two other naturists, form an organization with a title and head down to the local chief of police with facts and get these policies and education to the cop on the street. When naturist work together with authorities, with a face, and perceived as a group, which we are, often things change. This may be better than hiding from uniformed mental cases and misconceptions...and we vote.
Jbee

eyesup

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2015, 05:21:41 AM »
You would think with all the real crazies running around they would be concentrating on finding people that represent a genuine threat. Maybe the odds on actually gettng a real conviction are higher with this kind of low hanging fruit. Or maybe it represents the best they can do.

Duane

nuduke

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2015, 09:45:25 PM »
I am sure that enforcement officers of all sorts fall comfortably into their authority role as soon as they get to work. Many of you will be familiar with the research of Stanley Milgrom which typified how people comply when commanded by trusted authority to act in a certain way that may not accord with common sense and/or lacks ethical regard for other people.

John