Author Topic: Nudes in the news  (Read 77341 times)

dbwvogel

• Amateur free-hiker and theatre artist
    • View Profile
Re: Nudes in the news
« Reply #675 on: October 08, 2017, 10:55:40 PM »
From comments on above article:
Other reports on this I have read have stated he held the shorts up in front of him as the female hiker approached,

He held up shorts to cover himself.  As soon as a naked person tries to hide he is admitting and demonstrating that he is doing something wrong....
This actually brings up a different concern for me. If the man held up something in front of himself, in order to avoid having his genitals seen by the approaching hikers, then the woman didn't actually see him naked (in a legal sense), but merely knew he was nude. Is knowing someone has been nude a cause for the police to find and arrest that person? Now that would be a real crime.
- David

jbeegoode

• View Profile
« Reply #676 on: October 10, 2017, 07:55:01 AM »
Zackly, dbwvogel! If he was covering himself, then what law is being enforced? Could it be that it is a smaller public park, with lots of activity? Could it be a racist police answer to a call? The guy was black, Georgia, the south. Maybe it was a predominately white setting, and actually likely that it was. Maybe the fools in blue...excuse me, grey, still believe that those people just don't have any control of their impulses and need manhandled into their place. The woman that called, however, I think, was black and so was the reporter. The trail is a loop trail. The police were slow getting to the scene of "the crime." Maybe, it took a while to make the call to, chuckle, 911.

It isn't a very big spot, 950 acres, in a relatively populous area. It appears a walking trail, not a hiking trail. He might expect to risk alarm, with so many weird textiles and their children around. What is gnawing at me now, is how and why the TV news showed up. I guess that they just needed to make a story, and when there was no real news, they did just that, made a story out of nothing.

MAybe the reporter was there hiking naked, AND...nah, I digress. This incident is just very strange, but true.
Jbee
Barefoot all over, all over.

nuduke

• View Profile
« Reply #677 on: October 16, 2017, 10:49:52 PM »

The news article is shockingly vacuous but the two views below offer an interesting dilemma i.e. Bob's - if he was covering up he was admitting wrongdoing - and dbwvogel's view - that having donned a cover up before or rapidly after being actually seen means that he was not naked and his nakedness was simply an inference by the complainant not the actuality.

What is one to do - brazen it out and claim that no harm or lewdness was intended or occurring or cover up and have a notional defence that the observer could not claim the defendant was naked.

It would be interesting if this case got to court and they used dbwvogel's defence.  If successful then ,whilst not fulfilling Bobs stern ideals, it would at least be a step forward in that even carrying a cover garment could be construed as an intention not to offend and thus complying with the law in such as the UK and Georgia where some intent or demonstration of lewdness or affright to observers is necessary to prove an offence not just being nude itself.

But they'll probably never identify him and only our speculations will remain.

John

eyesup

• View Profile
« Reply #678 on: October 17, 2017, 08:21:18 PM »
Quote from: Bob
"Eeek!  You terrorist!"
Bob, you could be right in that little scene. It certainly is a possibility.

When I am walking up to a building I will, out of habit and because of the way I was raised, hold open the door for people. Most are polite and say thank you. Every now and then I get a scowl and no reaction at all. Iíve even heard people mumbling as they walk through. Some just donít like being put in a position of having to acknowledge someoneís kindness or consideration I guess or they take as though Iím implying they canít do for themselves.

Iíve stopped allowing that to put me off because I have no way to control it. Iíve also decided to not try and guess who to hold the door for. Everyone gets the treatment and I am satisfied that Iíve done what little I can.

I donít worry about it. The same holds true here. The only thing I do to avoid this is by trying to find places where the chance of seeing anyone is minute. That is the limit of my control.

The benefit to me is I donít frighten anyone, I donít have to deal with noisy crowds and I am in a place where there is little to no human impact. A natural place where I can relax without the physical and other burdens that I go there to shed.

I hope that if and WHEN I do actually bump into someone that they, like me, will be of the same mindset and, who knows, I might meet a kindred spirit.

My wifeís reaction to people like that is to keep in mind that you may have encountered them once, while they have to get up every day and see themselves in the mirror.

Comments seem to have disappeared on the article!

Duane

eyesup

• View Profile
« Reply #679 on: October 17, 2017, 08:25:24 PM »
Quote from:  dbwvogel
. . . the woman didn't actually see him naked (in a legal sense), but merely knew he was nude.
Does that mean we can be arrested for showering because our neighbor is aware of the fact we are naked?  ;D

Duane

JOhnGw

• Almost anything worth doing is better done naked.
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: October 18, 2017, 11:39:19 AM »
 ;) :o ;D
JOhn

Do not do unto others as you would that they should do unto you. Their tastes may not be the same.
George Bernard Shaw, Maxims for Revolutionaries

pjcomp

• View Profile
« Reply #681 on: October 18, 2017, 06:14:44 PM »
Does that mean we can be arrested for showering because our neighbor is aware of the fact we are naked?  ;D

Not only that, the neighbour will have to hand himself in because he's naked under his clothes ....

eyesup

• View Profile
« Reply #682 on: October 18, 2017, 08:41:14 PM »
Quote from: pjcomp
Not only that, the neighbour will have to hand himself in because he's naked under his clothes . . .
Hmmm. Sounds like an action plan to me. If we all went to the station and turned ourselves in because someone KNEW we were naked they would be swamped with incidents to process. If fifty, I mean fifty people walked in and turned themselves in, it could be a movement. And thatís what it would be, ďThe naked under your clothes movement.Ē

Abraham Lincoln had the best solution for bad laws. And there is nothing wrong with providing the impetus for allowing the civil servants to earn their salary.

Duane

pjcomp

• View Profile
« Reply #683 on: November 14, 2017, 10:16:49 AM »
https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/4906266/britains-first-nude-only-play-rousing-performance/

What happened when the audience went naked. For our colonial readers - the Sun is a down-market tabloid which can usually be relied on to take a schoolboy's approach to "tits and bums", so this report is actually quite restrained and respectful for them!

peter

Bob Knows

• Human bodies are natural, comfortable, and green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: November 14, 2017, 03:51:12 PM »
"Let The Sunshine? From where I was standing it was all about the moons. "

Sun demonstrating their constant fear that someone, somewhere, may be enjoying life.
Human bodies are natural, comfortable, and green.

jbeegoode

• View Profile
« Reply #685 on: November 14, 2017, 07:38:15 PM »
Why do you suppose that they invited the Sun exclusively to uh "cover" the play? The Sun couldn't insult the hundreds that participated, I suppose.

Is this a big theater, with hundreds? I assumed that it was. I think that it is good publicly for us. People will read that public nudity is fun, safe, many are doing it, they are not all perverts, or weird. Hair did that, it let the masses know that nude is fine, that people do it without negative consequence. Those first timers, they are apt to begin to understand the joys of nudity.

There will be more readers that have the inclination, that " It ain't for me, but it seems okay for others."

Hair was a pioneer of audience participation in theater. I still remember that cute blonde girl putting her hand out to me.

I hope that this is a trend. Restaurants, theater, beaches, parks, people are having fun naked and without shame. It may not be portrayed as a normal, or usual, which it isn't, yet, but it could become a fad, an acceptable lark, something cool that you must have done to be cool and talk about it with authority. Then others would have to try it, and those seeds last, because we are all naturists, we just don't all know it yet. The more of this desexualized exploitation of naked the better.

And I'd have loved to be there, what fun, and I have a regret that my 18 year old hand wasn't balls enough to take that cute blonde up on her offer. I don't think that it was so much the naked that intimidated me, but the dancing with hundreds watching, or maybe not...How could I remember?
Jbee

Bob Knows

• Human bodies are natural, comfortable, and green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: November 15, 2017, 01:05:52 AM »

The first time I  saw Hair there was a couple of cast members seated in the audience.  At the appropriate time the guy got up and said something like, "We can leave now Martha, they've done the nude part."  The woman responded and soon they were enfolded into the show.   They were cast, not audience though.  However, the actual audience did get up and dance in the isles at the end.  It was a good show.  Nobody objected to the cast being naked in one scene. 

Human bodies are natural, comfortable, and green.

pjcomp

• View Profile
« Reply #687 on: November 15, 2017, 03:36:35 AM »
While at the othe4 end of the nudit6 spectrum ....

http://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/nudity-at-pools

jbeegoode

• View Profile
« Reply #688 on: November 15, 2017, 08:34:48 AM »
Absurd....

Never been to Montreal. Never will. It is cold and foolish. There are lots of anti-Muslim comments... Good. Maybe it will put the latest influx of fascist religious goofs in their place.
Jbee

JOhnGw

• Almost anything worth doing is better done naked.
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: November 15, 2017, 11:49:22 AM »
I posted a comment:
After having major bowel surgery I always shower naked BEFORE swimming.
If anybody challenges me I simply ask whether they would prefer me to swim with a potentially sh*tty bottom.
JOhn

Do not do unto others as you would that they should do unto you. Their tastes may not be the same.
George Bernard Shaw, Maxims for Revolutionaries