Author Topic: Nudes in the news  (Read 127604 times)

MartinM

• View Profile
Re: Nudes in the news
« Reply #885 on: January 11, 2019, 09:20:55 AM »
I think ideally we would be looking for nudity to be legal anywhere, subject to necessary health and safety constraints, but at the same time legal to set dress codes on private property and religious institutions, where the latter requirement is part of their belief.

It seems to me, the rest can be left to custom and the law doesnít need to intervene unless there is a public order issue.

That is not dissimilar to the official position in this country but donít bet on being able to walk down the high street without being arrested. I suspect there is still a good likelihood of it being dealt with as a public order offence if people complained, despite the police guidance, unless part of a sanctioned protest or event. Iím not about to test this point!

Any campaigning is best done around raising public awareness of the legality of simple public nudity through events but otherwise just getting out there in appropriate place to enjoy being naked and not hiding, but without being confrontational.
Tread lightly upon the earth!

jbeegoode

• View Profile
« Reply #886 on: January 11, 2019, 09:50:12 AM »
Yes, it would seem that one of the best ways to continue forward, make inroads, make nudity a normality, give naked good connotations, would be to have nude events. What a great excuse to have a party...naked. What a great way to make social change...have fun. I hope that you all are getting to...err, working on this.

Street parties, bar parties, boat parties, block parties, park parties, car shows, boat shows, art shows, street shows, body painting, WBNR, WNGD out in the front yard, street clean up as nude public service, adopt a highway, clean up trails, raods and parks naked, get out and have fun naked.

Nude rec is the way. Enjoying the new freedom is...well... to not get out and live the dream is actually a foolish waste, maybe a regret in life....

Do you need somebody to have to come over there and show ya how? Uh oh. ::)
Jbee
Barefoot all over, all over.

John P

• View Profile
    • My naturist page
« Reply #887 on: January 12, 2019, 05:15:37 PM »
This is a newspaper story about a police officer telling a family to leave a nude beach in Florida; if there was a claimed reason, it's not explained. Those who like to rant about arrogant police operations, get ready to launch! (But in this case, the police department did say it was a mistake.)

https://www.tcpalm.com/story/opinion/columnists/gil-smart/2019/01/11/nude-beach-flap-in-st-lucie-county-after-deputy-ordered-family-with-5-year-old-to-leave/2528761002/

The extensive "Think of the children" section of the newspaper column is entirely vile.

Bob Knows

• Human bodies are natural, comfortable, and green.
    • View Profile
    • Greenbare Photos
« Reply #888 on: January 12, 2019, 08:56:08 PM »

The extensive "Think of the children" section of the newspaper column is entirely vile.

The Deputy cop apparently followed the old "Think of the children" nonsense while protecting adult nudists from "exposing themselves" in front of a teen girl.   Farther down it says that the county admitted the deputy cop was wrong, and without lewd behavior no law is broken.    Seeing a variety of naked adults is educational for children. 

Human bodies are natural, comfortable, and green.
To see more of Bob you can view his personal photo page
http://www.photos.bradkemp.com/greenbare.html

BlueTrain

• View Profile
« Reply #889 on: January 12, 2019, 09:37:39 PM »
Educational, no doubt, but who gets to say what's lewd or indecent or not? I suppose we could say that practically everything's natural, so that can't be a factor.

Peter S

• View Profile
« Reply #890 on: January 12, 2019, 11:33:08 PM »
Once the police are involved the officer on th3 spot has to make a judgement call, and of course sometimes they get it wrong. But the man who never made a mistake never made anything.

Bob Knows

• View Profile
    • Greenbare Photos
« Reply #891 on: January 13, 2019, 12:33:50 AM »
Once the police are involved the officer on th3 spot has to make a judgement call, and of course sometimes they get it wrong. But the man who never made a mistake never made anything.

Police never err on the side of going back to their sty and letting peace loving citizens enjoy our lives. 

MartinM

• View Profile
« Reply #892 on: January 13, 2019, 10:30:12 AM »
They have modern communications. If they donít know the position they should get advice before acting on someone elseís complaint. Otherwise they are just re-inforcing prejudice.
Tread lightly upon the earth!

Davie

• View Profile
« Reply #893 on: January 13, 2019, 10:53:07 AM »
We should be careful not to be prejudiced ourselves. I know quite a few naturist Police Officers

Davie 8)

Peter S

• View Profile
« Reply #894 on: January 13, 2019, 05:12:10 PM »
If they donít know the position  ....

Ah, but the thing is that they usually DO know the position - they just know it wrong. And I'm not levelling this at policemen, but at everyone. We all do it, we know exactly what the answer is ... and we know wrong. It's one of the most popular ways of making a mistake. When you know you're right about something there's no reason to ask someone else.

And be fair, how often does a policeman get confronted with someone out for a casual stroll in the nude? With all the other things he/she has to be an expert on, why should we expect them to be up to speed on a relatively obscure rule on permissible nakedness? (I'm mainly talking UK here, you lot "over there" with the "shoot first, ask second" problem doubtless have a different take on things).

Bob Knows

• View Profile
    • Greenbare Photos
« Reply #895 on: January 13, 2019, 06:00:54 PM »

Ah, but the thing is that they usually DO know the position - they just know it wrong. And I'm not levelling this at policemen, but at everyone. We all do it, we know exactly what the answer is ... and we know wrong. It's one of the most popular ways of making a mistake. When you know you're right about something there's no reason to ask someone else.

That's the thing about police.  If he (or she) doesn't know the actual law and policy, he should NOT get involved and arrest or even harass a citizen.  The error should always be to mind his own business and not interfere with the  public unless he is sure of his facts and laws. 

Bob

BlueTrain

• View Profile
« Reply #896 on: January 13, 2019, 06:03:48 PM »
The public is the policeman's business. It might be said that the law is prejudice codified. Any time you say "it doesn't bother anyone" or "nobody cares," you're kidding yourself. Besides, they're policemen, not lawyers.

Davie

• View Profile
« Reply #897 on: January 13, 2019, 06:13:01 PM »
In my 33 years in the Service I recall a handful of occasions when we had to get someone out of bed early to arrest but not for nudity related offences or tell bad news. I recall coming across a car with the hazard warning lights on late one night on a quiet road. With a  colleague we investigated and found a naked couple in the car having sex and the guys toe had caught on a switch. They were embarrassed but appreciated we were openly checking on their safety. We had a chuckle and left them to it, probably feeling jealous! Should we have ignored the flashing lights??

On one other occasion a whole fleet of cars went looking for a reported naked man stealing women's clothing off washing lines. It was so unusual it was amusing to us. He was caught and dealt with in a sensible and legal manner for theft, not nudity. Should we have let this man carry on thieving because he was naked??

The final occasion that comes to mind was a man reported naked in a telephone box in the early hours of the morning. It was raining cats and dogs and on arrival we found the man, a retired doctor having a breakdown. I'm proud to report he was dealt with in as sympathetic manner. He was not bad just very sad.  Should we have left this poor man because he was naked??

pjcomp is right, nudity is pretty rare in the average Policeman's daily work. We've all come across it in different scenarios, but not very often.  Here in the UK the Police now have guidance but I suspect there are occasions when the Officer doesn't realise the advice is there, especially in times of stress. One possible situation may be that once the alleged offender is removed from a hostile situation advice may be sought and the naked person de-arrested a perfectly legal and sensible outcome. The Police must respond to some reports of nudity. To do other wise would be a dereliction of duty and care. I don't know of any recent cases where the Police have patrolled naturist beaches. They've got better things to do.

Finally, arresting someone has consequences that some may not appreciate for the Officer - mountains of paperwork! The thought of that can change an Officers mind!!!

Davie  8)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 06:18:28 PM by Davie »

BlueTrain

• View Profile
« Reply #898 on: January 13, 2019, 07:03:28 PM »
In the United States, there is something of an opposite situation in some places. It is often the case that some, perhaps many, feel that the law is too lax or too weak and would much prefer that rules of evidence were less restrictive and that punishments should be harsher. Such people naturally assume they would never be in trouble with the law. Some law enforcement authorities are perfectly willing to go along with such attitudes and sentiments, given that they share them themselves. After all, the police and other law enforcement personnel come from the general population, at least of working class people. There is also the problem that crime and punishment are not equally and fairly administered, which is a totally separate issue. And it's always been that way, even in our so-called classless society.

jbeegoode

• View Profile
« Reply #899 on: January 14, 2019, 01:35:48 AM »
Any officer in Tucson has a short book briefly laying out law. It is there to make things clear. I once had a creepy cop looking through it to find a law, anything to use to inflict his own sense of justice and not the law. He told me this as he looked and found an unrelated charge that he could use.

There are also supervisors available over the air for their reference.

I have also had cops charge me, and then not show up to court. They arrest you, leave that on record, they cause you considerable worry and legal expense in preparation and bring you to court, all to punish you, when no law was broken, or could stick.

There is commonly abuse of power and cops making themselves judge jury and executioner. I'm grateful for the guys like Davie, and support them, particularly after being abused by what Bob says, guys "who go back to their styes." They are enemies of we the people. They are sworn in to protect the constitution as sacred and then they destroy it.

Oddly, both of these traitors to the constitution where later killed on duty. One was simply just hit by a car while making a stop. Good karma, good riddance, wish that they had just quit before, my condolences to their families, but I'm not apt to sincerely morn for a dictator, a totalitarian, or a molesting self righteous street punk abusing power.

Not to mention having been beaten, during police riots for political reasons, or having my rights abused because I'm on the wrong side of a political spectrum, or fighting some rich organization that is using "our" police as a private force.

Fascism hiding behind a badge is not to be tolerated, or respected. It is criminal. They are supposed to be there to protect and serve and uphold the constitution's statement of rights. People don't go to wars so that they will be abused at home.

I suspect that the cop in the story above is a bad cop. That this is just an example of a general attitude and disconnect. No matter what the intention, he needs to find another line of work. He's too stupid and arrogant to serve and he probably got the attitude and reinforcement of the behavior from some of his peers.
Jbee
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 01:54:53 AM by jbeegoode »
Barefoot all over, all over.