Author Topic: My Canal Boat Trip 2015  (Read 36170 times)

JOhnGw

• Almost anything worth doing is better done naked.
    • View Profile
My Canal Boat Trip 2015
« on: August 13, 2015, 09:01:33 AM »
Following a reminder by John the Nuduke I'm posting this as an introduction to this year's boat trip.

Today I'm having a naked day at home getting everything ready.
As usual I'll try to do a progress report similar to the on for my French holiday telling you where I've got to, any worthwhile incidents and especially featuring all the bits of secret or free-range naturism which I achieve.
JOhn

Do not do unto others as you would that they should do unto you. Their tastes may not be the same.
George Bernard Shaw, Maxims for Revolutionaries

eyesup

• View Profile
Re: My Canal Boat Trip 2015
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 06:43:47 PM »
Ummm, the question I posted in "Nudes in the News", probably should have been here.

I encountered the other post 1st.

Duane

JOhnGw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 07:23:14 PM »
I replied there for the same reason.
JOhn

Do not do unto others as you would that they should do unto you. Their tastes may not be the same.

tanman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 11:35:00 PM »
I'm looking forward to 'joining you' on the trip, JOhn! Do you have a drone for your camera?

Have fun, naked, I KNOW you will!
Larry (tanman in Texas)

JOhnGw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 08:41:28 PM »
The marina at Droitwich is roomy, but that one next to the railroad looks like a carpark in a downtown area. Very cramped.

In all your boating nude have you met any others of the same inclination.
Is there a nude boating contingent, albeit unorganized?

Duane
I'm replying here because it makes more sense (to me anyway).
I showed both moorings to give you an idea of the range of moorings which exist.
The roomy one if a  reasonably up-market commercial marina while the crowded one is a club which rents the basin and wants to get as many boats in as possible.
In commercial carrying days the working boats were often crowded just as tightly.
Believe it or not every boat in the club basin could get in and out independently in spite of the apparent crowding.

While there are quite a few naturist boaters the nature of canals makes it well nigh impossible to boat naked most of the time so my nude time is mostly confined to early mornings when nobody else is around. The canals were built as commercial arteries and there was a wharf at almost every bridge.The wharf buildings are now almost all dwellings and they therefore always go through the middle of towns on the route with frequent pubs, etc.

I hope this gives you an idea of the amount of free-range skill required to get any naked time at all.
Why do I have to have two such incompatible obsessions?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 10:19:28 PM by JOhnGw »
JOhn

JOhnGw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 11:33:05 PM »
Friday

We drove up to the marina in the rain, stopping on the way for coffee and to do the main supplies shopping. On arriving we unloaded and had lunch after which I stripped  off but had to put my boiler suit on to sort out the battery charging. I just hope I haven't overdone it and fry the batteries.
I would have done the job naked where we used to moor but the marina is a bit less relaxed than the club mooring.
When I had finished I took off the boiler suit and have been naked ever since inside the boat, M even countenancing my remaining naked for dinner.
M collects our grandson tomorrow morning and he will be with us for the following week so I don't expect to have much naked boating or swimming in the Severn.
JOhn

JOhnGw

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2015, 07:32:30 PM »
Saturday

As we were on our own still I didn't bother to dress in the morning, having breakfast and doing several minor maintenance jobs around the boat naked after breakfast while M drove out to fetch our grandson and do a little last minute shopping with him.
When I had finished the inside jobs I put on my boiler suit to connect the hose to the water point and fill the tank ready to set off.
While I was naked I am almost certain I was seen by the occupants of the next boat but I can't be certain as nothing was said when we saw them later.
When M got back with grandson I changed from my boiler suit to t-shirt and shorts.
We then set out and after stopping for lunch at Hanbury junction we finally moored up for the night at the bottom of Tibberton locks.
JOhn

JOhnGw

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2015, 06:37:52 PM »
Sunday

Although the main part of the day was totally textile I did manage to have a couple of hours naked before breakfast.

A short stroll on the towpath.

Making the breakfast croissants

An earlymorning mug of tea.

Later I really felt the lack of nude time when cruising down the canal from our overnight mooring towards Worcester as the conditions were almost suitable for a bit of naked cruising.
We finished up having a splendid but slightly alcoholic late lunch in the Kings Head pub in Worcester before lazing around on the boat (dressed unfortunately) for the rest of the day.
JOhn

jbeegoode

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2015, 07:40:49 PM »
Dirty gritty chip-seal in the path, keeping bare feet off on the grass? Is this a common condition because of mud? Is it still arranged pretty much for horses?
Jbee
Barefoot all over, all over.

Peter S

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2015, 11:30:24 PM »
JOhn can answer for where he is, but my own experience of towpath walking is anything from paving, through concrete, to gravel to muddy footpaths. It all depends on whereabouts you happen to be, and how much time/money/care the canal agency is willing/able to lavish on that particular stretch

Peter

JOhnGw

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2015, 08:33:23 AM »
JOhn can answer for where he is, but my own experience of towpath walking is anything from paving, through concrete, to gravel to muddy footpaths. It all depends on whereabouts you happen to be, and how much time/money/care the canal agency is willing/able to lavish on that particular stretch

Peter
The surfacing of towpaths is often funded by other bodies than the canal authority.
In towns it will be well up to pavement (sidewalk) and cycle track standards, while in remoter parts of the countryside is can still be an almost impassable eroded potholed muddy track. Loose gravel and granite chippings are other regular surfacing used depending on the expected traffic and finance available.
Many towpaths have been adopted by Sustrans as part of the National Cycle Network.
JOhn

JOhnGw

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2015, 11:05:45 PM »
Monday

Again I managed 2 hours naked first thing before everything got busy and grandson woke.
Although it ia a very urban setting in the middle of Worcester I had enough peace before the cyclists, joggers and dog walkers started to polish the outside brass and was able to do all the other early morning jobs around the engine area after they started without any problems - I got a cheery "good morning" from several joggers of both sexes.

A dog walker. (I was still naked when I took this picture.)

Shutting the outside engine cover.

Checking email and writing up the morning blog.

After doing some essential shopping we set off stopping at Diglis Basin for sewage disposal before going down Diglis Locks into the River Severn. As usual the river was quite nude boating friendly but the weather and grandson's presence kept me dressed.
After quite a good run for the first few miles we suddenly had an overheating problem. I took the boat into the bank and used a mud anchor while I investigated.
On investigation an engine mounting bolt had sheared resulting in metal on metal rubbing in the stern tube, heating the propeller shaft to the point that the lubricating grease was evaporating in smoke. Luckily I had a spare bolt available and there were alternative threaded positions on the cylinder block which that I could use but it still took 2 hours of work before I had a workable alternative engine mount using the original one upside down and could re-align the engine to continue to the nearest mooring at the Wharf Inn.

Running the bilge pump.

Using the landing stage to fetch things from the bow cockpit.
Commuter traffic is passing on the bridge.

While we were stopped in Stourport Basin for sewage and water I managed to borrow an angle grinder to cut away a corner of the engine mounting bracket so I could re-fit it a bit better.
Of course the man who lent me the angle grinder was rewarded with some Felinfoel BEER from the slab I have on the boat.
JOhn

JOhnGw

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2015, 11:11:03 PM »
Something went wrong with my bilge pump picture so here it is again.

There was plenty of morning commuter traffic on the bridge.
JOhn

eyesup

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2015, 07:50:17 PM »
As when traveling by car, boat or travel trailer, you had better be handy with tools and have a mechanical mind. Otherwise you will be spending long hours in venues not on the itinerary.

It always is surprising to see you on the docks and or boat naked in the middle of a town. It's a good sort of pictorial of a natural way to live.

Duane

JOhnGw

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2015, 08:10:10 PM »
As when traveling by car, boat or travel trailer, you had better be handy with tools and have a mechanical mind. Otherwise you will be spending long hours in venues not on the itinerary.

It always is surprising to see you on the docks and or boat naked in the middle of a town. It's a good sort of pictorial of a natural way to live.

Duane
The Wharf Inn mooring is in a quiet rural location but I have boated naked in some surprisingly busy spots.
Using FRN craft (my new term for SN craft) I have boated naked in some surprising places. Perhaps I should start a topic where I re-post some of my past naked boating exploits.
JOhn