Author Topic: Bare Feet  (Read 21936 times)

eyesup

• View Profile
Re: Bare Feet
« Reply #120 on: April 10, 2018, 08:41:06 PM »
There was a song in ‘Paint Your Wagon’ about the glories of mud, Best Things!
A good movie about leaving civilization behind.
Shoes will track in things you aren’t aware of. If we step in something, our 1st instinct is to clean it off. Obviously feet are cleaner than shoes.

I wear my Keen sandals almost everywhere that I can’t go barefoot. It’s a compromise.

Duane

nuduke

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 17, 2018, 10:06:29 AM »

Spring is finally creeping limply over the British Isles - bit of sun for a couple of hours, bit of rain, bit of cloud, bit more sun....etc.
I had my first nude breakfast on the patio yesterday but to get to the point of this thread, today is the first day it has been possible either meteorologically or sociologically to wear sandals.  Hurrah! Goodbye socks! :)    Not Keens, my walking shoes are Keens but my sandals are Fit Flops - very comfy.  Not into thong sandals yet.  If the blessed weather would get on with being more clement, I could get into those!   Otherwise barefoot in house and garden.  I am going to try some barefooting further afield in the summer if we ever get ine this year.
John

eyesup

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 19, 2018, 06:06:23 PM »
I love the sensations of barefoot hiking. Total nudity, but in the desert it is a rarity.  :D

Barefoot works in the city but, well I'm in the city. So no nudity.  :(

Duane

jbeegoode

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 21, 2018, 04:46:48 AM »
I've given up walking barefoot around my home. Too many times, I've been stuck and one particularly that laid me up for weeks.

I'm going back into town. I'm setting up an outside run and walkways with several kinds of surfaces, to walk and run on. A playground for my feet, an exercise trail for the rest. Hoops to hang on, ropes to travel under hanging. A straight away to sprint.

A garden, trees, a wall all around, a safe nude playground with no rattlers to hop over in surprise, never having to look under my seat before I sit. 

It is a dear trade, but retired, I'll be traveling out in wondrous nature more often.
Jbee
Barefoot all over, all over.

nuduke

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 22, 2018, 01:19:47 AM »

I'm glad you've found somewhere that gives you the privacy you need in town.  When do you move...or has that happened already?
What's the new place like? (photos?).

Although it is now late Autumn in the UK and despite a very warm one, the chill and damp are now descending.  However, I have continued to eschew socks and worn loose fitting clogs at my various activities.  I'm surprised how many people have commented.  'Aren't your feet cold?' they ask.  'No' I reply 'otherwise I would be wearing socks!'  I have found myself on several occasions being extremely relieved when I can get home and take my shoes off and walk in bare feet again.  My body is beginning to accept bare footedness as the norm, I think. Great!

John

jbeegoode

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 23, 2018, 04:48:10 PM »
BArefoot all over is my norm and well accepted by my body. NAtural non-conformity in a textile world. Gotta go with how my body tells me.

Me, target is house on the market by Dec. 3rd. Hope is sale before end of year. I've been looking at inexpensive walls and listed properties to get a sense of the reality and the market. An on going daily process to tackle. I pray a lot.
Jbee

BlueTrain

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 26, 2018, 01:40:09 PM »
I prefer "face all over."

Flanders and Swann did a little number about mud, mud, glorious mud.

nuduke

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 29, 2018, 09:46:19 PM »

Good luck with the house sale, Jbee.
I had rather got the impression that you had already bought or had a marker on the new property in town, but seemingly not.
You are probably aware that selling and buying houses are amongst the top 3 stress producers of life!
In terms of negotiation be firm but not inflexible and hang out for the very best property to move into from the point of view of being able to be naked 24/7 in or outdoors.  You'll regret it if you don't.  If it means losing a buyer for your house - so what?  There'll be another along soon.  That's the attitude I took in our last 2 moves and it paid dividends in getting good prices for both sale and purchase (although I wouldn't go so far as to tout it as a general principle - circumstances alter cases  - as the parasite lawyers say ...when they get it wrong!). 
John

jbeegoode

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 30, 2018, 05:53:31 PM »
Nakefit.com has an inquiring product for a protected barefoot experience. I found some on Amazon. I'm going to give them a try after I get out from under what's going on here.

Glue isn't too allergenic, biodegradable throw away. They might be useful at a 2 or three bucks a pop. There seems to be knockoffs and varying thicknesses, but these are more form fitting. They may be better for urban use and forests. Deserts, I 'm not so sure. For a pair of feet that don't get out all of the time to condition, this might be a compromise. Gotta give 'em a try. Good for hot and cold surfaces, I should think.
Jbee

MartinM

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 03, 2018, 02:09:55 AM »
Barefoot now for about 8 years. This autumn I’ve worn moccassins for two mettings (very unusual) and skiboots for a 2hr session at Chill Factors near Manchester. Most time in footwear all year was while ski-ing for a week in Norway.

Last weekend climbed 2800 foot Fairfield in the Lake District. Today I’ve just been to a craft fair, with plenty of sharp granite chippings outside and in marquee and lots of comments of ‘you’re brave’, ‘aren’t your feet cold’ and ‘have you lost your shoes’ variety. The place was packed....

Oh - and this morning managed a full naked all run (apart from the first and last 10 mins) in the foggy early morning, rainy, gloom. My feet are nicely glowing now.

jbeegoode

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 03, 2018, 08:11:09 PM »
Amazing to me what bare feet can adapt to. But they seem to need so much practice.

Being barefoot in urban areas and flat hard surfaces of no variety, do you notice those surfaces giving you trouble?
Jbee

BlueTrain

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 03, 2018, 10:20:36 PM »
Walking on pavement is hard enough when wearing shoes, especially concrete.

I might note here the great variety of surfaces I've walked on in the woods. Here at home, where I do most of my walking now, the trails have been muddy for most of the summer in through to the fall. We've had a lot of wet weather this year. But I also usually do a fair amount of wading, too, because where I want to go involves crossing creeks. That's not the case in the woods where I go away from home, though. Some trails are soft and padded with pine needles and leaves, while on the other side of the hill, it can be wet and rocky. Some trails barely deserve the name and involve hopping from boulder to boulder. Most are on the rough side and one has to be careful of where you step. Practically all are under the trees.

jbeegoode

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 04, 2018, 09:11:44 PM »
MartinM: Amazing to me what bare feet can adapt to. But they seem to need so much practice.

Being barefoot in urban areas and flat hard surfaces of no variety, do you notice those surfaces giving you trouble? I feel pain in many parts of my body walking on flat concrete surfaces for long periods. It is redundant. It is constantly stiff and hard and there is no surface conditioning for feet and ankles. I seem to need variety, but my experience is often limited, unlike yours. So, when you have lots of urban and in the home flat surfaces, has your body adjusted, or do you think that your feet require variety to be effectively barefoot?
Jbee

nuduke

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 10, 2018, 06:31:41 PM »

Well, 4 responses here!

1) Neat idea, jbee - I have just ordered some.  I will wear them whatever the weather when I have a day when I can wear them all day and will be out and about where bare feet won't attract adverse reactions i.e. not the supermarket, not where I could get a foot injury e.g. doing DIY and up ladders but yes on Yoga class day, Art class day or doing nothing day around the house garden and for a local walk.  I suppose one can be shod part the way there and take off the shoes to reveal the soles when at the walking place. 

2) I have before used another type of barefoot sole cover.  These were rigid foam soles with adhesive on the top.  I forget what they were called but they were not that great.  Once you had stuck them on they tended to lose adherence when peeled off so would flop about the next wear and if walking on cut grass or sand the grass and/or sad would accumulate around the edges and gradually work their way under the sole as it lifted slightly when walking until they affected the stickiness to the foot.  That said they were a fun way to be nearly barefoot but be able to walk on tough surfaces such as asphalt and concrete pavements

3) Wow MartinM, barefooter for 8 years.  I'd like to know more of this lifestyle.  Are you barefoot all the time of just some of the time?  Do your feet get calloused and/or cracked and if so what do you do about that, if anything?  How did you adopt barefooting early on?  Who comments or objects mostly (in the way you describe or worse - e.g. refusing entry to a store)?  I am pretty much 100% barefoot at home these days but haven't ventured out into the wide world.  I do things that even if I was 100% barefoot otherwise, I would put on protective shoes for e.g. ladder work, and building/some DIY.  I'd love to hear your story!

4) Blue Train - how do you avoid injury on the trails you describe?

John

BlueTrain

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 10, 2018, 08:05:32 PM »
I was not describing barefoot hiking, you understand. I wear various kinds of boots. At home, where the trails have of late been muddy and I sometimes wade a creek, high boots of eight to ten inches have seemed the best choices. Otherwise, ordinary hiking boots.

Indians in North America in what is now the U.S. and Canada generally wore moccasins and a few wore sandals.