Author Topic: Naked Hiking Day  (Read 15449 times)

jbeegoode

• View Profile
Re: Naked Hiking Day
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2016, 07:10:42 PM »
I was thinking of posting some comments with regard to the recent heat wave, but will not. I am aware that weather manifests differently in different locales. While I am blessed with an abundance of clear and temperate conditions, I do become complacent as you point out.

As I recall though, your visit here was in the summer but I don't remember the exact time of the season or whether weather was agreeable. Those that visit during a heat wave generally tend to remember it.

Extremes in temperature can be deadly, high or low. Either will put you at risk and I have had my share of close calls.

Duane
I read that several hikers have died on the trail during this ultra heat BS. It is unusual and extreme. catching them off guard. If you live in an air-conditioner environment and suddenly step out of it, the changes can take you by surprise. I've been consuming twice the water.

The all time Tucson record was something like 109F, way back, a fluke. Hot was 103F to 105F. PHX averages 6F or 7F hotter. In 1989, I had an air-conditioning business. The temps popped up early in April and for 100 days the record temp was "smashed". The all time high was Solstice 118F that year. Now, every so often, we see these hundred teens. The new norm has been extremes. This year, we have had a relatively mild spring early summer and drought, then, kaboom, this stuff.

That day in 1989, my partner stood at the back door of one of our accounts near a busy intersection. His thermometer read 136F.

Yea, this stuff is dangerous. There is a time to walk and a time to sit in the shade...naked.
Jbee
Barefoot all over, all over.

balead

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2016, 08:58:39 PM »
Sitting in the damp aftermath of a week of rainy spells and unseasonal coolness in what should be midsummer 'flaming June' in the UK, one is rather jealous of a climate that in poor weather makes you get naked and sit still to keep cool!

Couldn't agree more! A month that started off colder than Christmas day then had 6 days of warm sunny weather and since has had limited amounts of sunshine and downpours has me feeling angry, except I don't know who to blame. Maybe those stupid newspapers who every year seem to promise a sizzling summer. There's still time but I feel the last two months have mostly been wasted for my free range naturism.
Dave

eyesup

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2016, 05:06:57 PM »
Quote from: John
I can't find it in me to be sympathetic to you guys, jbee and Duane, in weather that the average Brit would die for (definitely 'for' rather than 'of'!) and seeks on holiday.

Understood. We have extremes here year round. Just not the same extreme constantly. If WERE constant, then it wouldn't be an extreme, would it? At least here.  :-\

If I could send a portion of this to you I would. It would diminish the extreme. But then, when I see photos of the Isles I wish to be there. Perusing Karla and Stuart's photos of trekking around Scotland makes me want to be there too, even though I am aware of the chilly climate. Bracing to encounter whatever nature hurls at me is part of why I do this. It's not just lounging in the sun that attracts me. I could do that continuously without ever stepping out of my yard.

. . . one is rather jealous of a climate that in poor weather makes you get naked and sit still to keep cool!

Well, yes, the HEAT! My guess is that when you were here it was'nt HOT. I don't recall.

When it is, it is in your face if you dare step outside. The effect is worse in a city. Everything RADIATES heat. From the ground, paved or not, from the sides and of course from the sky. The longer summer runs the less it cools off at night. This is not a warmth or heat that eventually borders on discomfort. It immediately assaults you. Descriptions fail, you have to experience it.

Yes, sitting and trying to stay cool is one tool. I can assure you that if you walk outside in this HEAT you don't even consider hanging out by the pool. It's not wise. I don't understand people that do.

I would love to visit your extreme.
If you do ever visit here again and it is HOT, remember there isn't much to do except trying to stay cool.  :D

Duane

edited to correct weird sentence! see jbee's quote below
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 06:44:33 PM by eyesup »

jbeegoode

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2016, 05:48:04 PM »

. . . one is rather jealous of a climate that in poor weather makes you get naked and sit still to keep cool!

Well, yes, the HEAT! My guess is that when you were'nt here it was HOT. I don't recall.

When it is, it is in your face if you dare step outside. The effect is worse in a city. Everything RADIATES heat. From the ground, paved or not, from the sides and of course from the sky. The longer summer runs the less it cools off at night. This is not a warmth or heat that eventually borders on discomfort. It immediately assaults you. Descriptions fail, you have to experience it.

Yes, sitting and trying to stay cool is one tool. I can assure you that if you walk outside in this HEAT you don't even consider hanging out by the pool. It's not wise. I don't understand people that do.

I would love to visit your extreme.
If you do ever visit here again and it is HOT, remember there isn't much to do except trying to stay cool.  :D

Duane
It was typical stinkin' HOT when Nuduke visited in an air-conditioned bus. They got a piece of it, but by the time we got out and about, the evening was cooling and Arizona dry heat balmy. It wasn't that ridiculous HOT but in the afternoon. It was quite pleasant on the golf course, bare feet in the grass, naked.

Yes, hanging out BY the pool is dumb. One must hang out IN the pool, maybe with occasional trips to the shade to get the wrinkles out.

The immediate assault of the heat can be experienced with the following procedure. Turn up your oven to 425F, a good pizza baking level. Place your face next to the door. Quickly open the oven door, and then begin to place your head inside. It feels just like that. Don't worry, you won't get your head in there, the body will recoil naturally, most likely...unless you get in a hurry. Do not touch the inside of the oven, or grill sheets, only experience the air. After that, imagine being hit with a hot breeze of the stuff. Breeze lightly seers the body instead of cooling it, when it becomes what we call WAY TOO HOT, the teens F stuff.

You CAN drive a car with just two fingers.
 You can get a blister from a door handle.
Leather, and vinyl seating are....and metal chairs! Bare feet on hot coals, like concrete, need to be avoided. Natural surfaces are much less grilling.
The best parking space is the shady one, not the closest.

I'm not kidding. The cold water faucet has hot water coming out of it.
This is real!
Jbee

Just a recap BUT REAL! 8)
You notice your car overheating before you drive it.
You no longer associate bridges or rivers with water.
You can hear the weather forecast of 115 degrees without flinching.
You discover, in July it only takes two fingers to drive your car, because your steering wheel is so hot.
The best parking is determined by shade.....not distance.
You run your air conditioner in the middle of winter so you can use your fireplace.
You can make sun tea instantly
Hotter water comes from the cold water tap than the hot one.
It's noon in July, kids are on summer vacation and yet all the streets are totally empty of both cars and people
You actually burn your hand opening the car door.
Sunscreen is sold year round and kept right at the checkout counter.
You put on fresh sunscreen just to go check the mail box.
Some fools will market mini-misters for joggers and some other fools will actually buy them. Worse.....some fools actually try to jog.
You can fry an egg on the hood of a car in the morning.
You know hot air balloons can't rise because the air temperature is hotter than the air inside the balloon.
No one would dream of putting vinyl inside a car.
You see two trees fighting over a dog.
You have to go to a fake beach for some fake waves
You hear people say "but it's a dry heat!"
All of your out-of-state friends start to visit after October but clear out come the end of April.
You think someone driving wearing oven mitts is clever.
You think 60 tons of crushed red rock makes a beautiful yard.
Vehicles with open windows have the right-of-way in the summer.
Kids ask, "What's a mosquito?"
People who have black cars or black upholstery in their car are automatically assumed to be from out of-state or nuts.
You know better than to get into a car with leather seats if you're wearing shorts.
You can finish a Big Gulp in 10 minutes and go back for seconds.
You know a swamp cooler is not a happy hour drink.
You actually get these jokes and pass them on to other friends from Arizona.
You take rain dances seriously.
When a rainy day puts you in a good mood.
When you drive two miles around a parking lot looking for a shady place - even in the dead of winter.
You feed your chickens ice cubes to keep them from laying hard-boiled eggs.
A hundred ten in the shade is sorta hot, but you don't have to shovel it off your driveway. The temperature drops below 95 and you feel a bit chilly.
You've experienced condensation on your butt from the hot water in the toilet bowl.
You would give anything to be able to splash cold water on your face.
You can attend any function wearing shorts and a tank top.
You realize that asphalt has a liquid state.
People break out coats when temperature drops below 70 degrees.
The pool can be warmer than you are.
Announcements for Fourth of July events never end with "in case of rain......"
Everyone's smiling and talking about the great weather on rainy days.
Welcome to Arizona, where summer spends the winter - and hell spends the summer.  ~Popular saying, modified from a booster slogan in the 1930s
Once, it was so damned dry, the bushes followed the dogs around
In Arizona, shade trees are your best friends.  (And occasionally the basis of small civil wars over parking.
It's so hot even my fake plants are wilting.
You know you live in Phoenix when the four seasons are:  tolerable, hot, really hot, and are you freakin' kidding me?
"Heat, ma’am!" I said; "it was so dreadful here, that I found there was nothing left for it but to take off my flesh and sit in my bones."
You eat hot chilis to cool your mouth off.
You learn that a seat belt makes a pretty good branding iron.
You discover that you can get a sunburn through your car window
Your biggest bicycle wreck fear is, "What if I get knocked out and end up lying on the pavement and cook to death?"
 Jbee

eyesup

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2016, 07:18:34 PM »
Most of these are urban legend, but some I have direct evidence.

Hotter water comes from the cold water tap than the hot one.
My exterior kitchen wall faces due east. I get warm water till sometime after noon. If I want cold, I go to the central bathrooms

You can fry an egg on the hood of a car in the morning.
At some point in the summer this being done shows up on the local news. Generally difficult. Concrete will get to 147D and asphalt 161D. Not quite hot enough.

People who have black cars or black upholstery in their car are automatically assumed to be from out of-state or nuts.
The interior of a black SUV can hit 165D with a white one a chilly 150D. Not only that but business people wear 3 piece suits in the summer. I would demand hazard pay

You can attend any function wearing shorts and a tank top.
See above. This should be a defacto law between June 1 and September 1

You realize that asphalt has a liquid state.
My wife has experienced this personally, and she wears pumps not highheels!

The pool can be warmer than you are.
My neighbor made the mistake of leaving his passive solar pool heater on for three days. He had to wait for the pool to cool before getting in.

Still trying to remain still and cool!  8) Not that kind of kool!

Duane

nuduke

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2016, 01:05:33 AM »
Amazing list JBee, you must have had a quiet day! Or perhaps nothing to do whilst keeping out of the heat.
Is that really true about the hot air balloons not being able to rise?  I guess it's plausible. :)

John

eyesup

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2016, 04:52:03 PM »
Quote from: John
Is that really true about the hot air balloons not being able to rise?

Technically it's true. Practically, no. The info is out there to read but the short version is if the air temperature goes over 110º most balloonists won't fly. The lift ratios aren't there.
See this for a real world example of heat extremes.

At the end of the day it all boils ;D down to safety.

Duane

reubenT

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2016, 04:38:55 AM »
so the cooler the day the more people can ride the balloon basket,  but if the day warms up while it's in the air someone will have to jump out or the balloon will go down.      How about those guys who tie a bundle of helium balloons to a lawn chair and take a pellet rifle along to get back down.    I guess helium will be lighter than air no matter what the temperature does. 

It's been getting so hot the popcorn is popping on the stalk.    And have to run drinking water through a heater to cool it off. 

nudewalker

• Normal is a setting on a dryer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2016, 04:12:33 PM »
After spending years  working in and around boilers, blast furnaces, pottery kilns and the like I can empathize with our desert dwellers and the oppressive heat they have had to bear lately. There is a memory of a Phoenix visit where we would get into the hot tub and overheat so the pool would feel cool. And I thought that my body was heat tolerant in those days!

Now back to topic, the solstice was not kind at all to me. Due to an overzealous doctor (one who reads test results and not look at the patient) we had to rule out some serious health issues with the wife. And that meant the poor woman (being scared out of her wits) had to under go some testing and procedures. Her family rallied around while my naked time became nil. Thankfully, our regular physicians were able to quickly determine that it was a false alarm and things returned to normal by the evening of the solstice so the best I could do was a late evening walk to welcome summer.
"Always do what you are afraid to do"-Emerson

balead

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2016, 05:02:02 PM »
While I can appreciate the discomfort of it being too hot, at least the weather is encouraging you not not to wear clothes and it's an advantage being a naturist. Too often it's the opposite in the UK. And most of the time you can take advantage of night time and early morning cooler temperatures.

When even 80F is considered extreme, it means it doesn't happen very often and it's got nowhere near that this year so far.

This is why I will always be envious of warmer climates and all that sun.
Dave

Greenbare Woods

• Human bodies are natural, comfortable, and green.
    • View Profile
    • Greenbare Photos
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2016, 02:44:26 PM »
Greetings and Salutations. 

I spent Summer Solstice, a.k.a. Midsummer's Day, week at a Pagan gathering (PSG) in southern Illinois, USA.   It was more than 1/2 mile to the sower and back.  Does that count as naked hiking?

The heat was midsummer.  Mid 90s F all week with close to 100% humidity, very little breeze.   The gathering is officially clothing optional but there are only around 8 to 10 who go naked "skyclad" out of over 800 attendees.  I ended up being naked about half the week.  Show the flag.  Give people "permission" who may not want to be the first.  That sort of thing.  But a wet T can be cooling.   Lots of women without shirts but the courage to take off their skirts or pants was lacking for most.   It was the kind of hot that makes one want to spread a blanket under a tree and take an afternoon nap.

After that ended I drove west, sometimes driving naked, sometimes not.  Now I'm at Valley View hot spring in Colorado with JBee.  The gravel is hard on my bare feet, but there are plenty of naked people wandering around.  Ten years ago, the last time I was here, I sometimes felt like the last naked person.  This time the nakeds are back.  I have a jacket this morning at the office where WI-fi works, and some naked guy comes in looking for coffee.  Hey, its less than 50F this morning.  I'm jacketed. 

It was nice to finally meet JB and wife in person.   They have to head home today.  I'm here until tomorrow and then headed for Albuquerque.  My oldest son gets married next Saturday.

Yesterday I was driving naked through north Texas, near Dalhart, when I came to one of those roadside "points of interest" monuments.   I needed a short break so I stopped.   No other cars were there so I leaped out naked, walked around to the other side and read some story about wagon trains passing through in the 1800s.    A few cars went past.  I got back in and drove on.   That was so much fun I did it again at the next one.

Bob
Human bodies are natural, comfortable, and green.
To see more of Bob you can view his personal photo page
http://www.photos.bradkemp.com/greenbare.html

eyesup

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2016, 04:18:07 PM »
Looked up the OLT on a map. We drove right past there when we were on a trip through Colorado a couple years ago. Because it has camping, I might be able to talk my wife into trying it someday.

Beautiful country there.

Duane

jbeegoode

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2016, 06:44:23 AM »
Looked up the OLT on a map. We drove right past there when we were on a trip through Colorado a couple years ago. Because it has camping, I might be able to talk my wife into trying it someday.

Beautiful country there.

Duane
It is very clothing optional. The majority of people were clothed but getting into pools, tubs, or sauna nude. The demographics were all types and ages and very friendly. It would be a great 1st time place for your wife. She would have the option without feeling out of place, if she decided to not take the plunge across the Rubicon and bathe properly. It is very comfortable to be a member of the nude population everywhere, naked is normal.

The mosquitoes were a particular nuisance (not usual) and people were wearing things for protection. We did wear fleece cloaks for evening cold when not in tubs or sauna. They were more effective and fun than clothes, or jackets. I'm working out a full report to publish later. Lots to tell, big fun.

We did enjoy hanging out in the flesh with Bob. Great hotsprings and his company went together so well that we really didn't want to leave. DF didn't take my suggestion that she just quit her job and stay there in that hot water with Bob and I. ;D
Jbee

nuduke

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2016, 10:40:58 PM »
Woww! Bob, JBee and DF
You got together!!!!!!
Awesome. Awesome indeed!
I am so encouraged when we make these occasional meetings.
Hope you enjoyed each others company. 
You are both lean on detail, chaps and nobody mentioned you were going to get together!
Bob says it was 'nice' and JBee says a bit more.
We are hungry for reportage if not a mutual photo of you all.

John
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 10:59:37 PM by nuduke »

eyesup

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2016, 06:56:16 PM »
Quote from: Jbee
It would be a great 1st time place for your wife. She would have the option without feeling out of place, if she decided to not take the plunge across the Rubicon and bathe properly.

I had a firm commitment to a "maybe" for a topless hike once when we were traveling. Unfortunately when we arrived at the trailhead, it was crowded. So not only did she not go topless I didn't get to go on my naked hike. I was hoping for a deserted trail that time and it has always been that way every time I've gone there.  Except for that day.

We love hiking and camping so I believed that trying for an incremental trial of a topless hike while she was doing something she enjoys, would have been a great 1st step. I shall continue my endeavors.

Duane