Author Topic: Naked Hiking Day  (Read 15450 times)

eyesup

• View Profile
Naked Hiking Day
« on: May 10, 2016, 05:19:15 PM »
I believe Naked Hiking Day (Summer Solstice) this year falls on Monday, June 20th.

If able I think I will try to do a hike I've not been on before. I'll have to get busy early and be done early. By then it'll be warm enough that I might not want to be out too late in the day.

Plus summer break is on and folks will we 'oot-n-boot.

Duane

nudewalker

• Normal is a setting on a dryer!
    • View Profile
Re: Naked Hiking Day
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 05:52:58 PM »
After I found like minded souls on other forums there was a thrill to find there was a day set aside for naked hiking. In fact my first recorded hike was on abandoned ATV trails after a rail trail had been completed. Since then I have been out every solstice except for one that fell on Father's Day and plans were made for me. Being a Monday it should be not quite busy of a day.
"Always do what you are afraid to do"-Emerson

eyesup

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 05:01:29 PM »
So it's a little over 4 weeks to Naked Hiking Day. Some of the posts I've read from past praticipants show most do this while already on a planned hike, see this pictorial on the Appalachian Trials website.

I notice that the majority of the pictures were taken on either the PCT or the AT. That is interesting considering the post from the lady, see the Naked Hiker Spotted thread, on her concerns about this. Unfortunately, for those that missed it, Jbee discovered that the post referenced in the post has apparently been removed by the author. My guess is that bumping into a naked hiker on Naked Hiking Day on either of these trails isn't unusual or unexpected. It appears to be a known activity in the hiking community.

Having not hiked on either of those trails I am only guessing but hopefully it is becoming more accepted and expected, at least on that day. It certainly does motivate me to try and do this in 2016. Unfortunately by the end of June it is hot here. Whenever I hike in the summer I try to get started early and finish early, say no later than 11:00 am.

I will try and come up with something. A full moon is also on the 20th which adds some possibilities.

The pictures certainly are inspiring.

Duane

nudewalker

• Normal is a setting on a dryer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 05:48:53 PM »
I had to do some research but my first NHD that I have record of was 2007. As mentioned before there has been one miss since then that being Father's Day. It may have been done in rain a few times but the effort is there. Now that we have a NHD and a gardening day it was noticed on my FB feed this morning a nude picture day of some sort. Did not read details of the event but if there are enough advertised nude events it may become more mainstream.
"Always do what you are afraid to do"-Emerson

nuduke

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 11:19:46 PM »
I looked at the hike naked day website that Duane posted. i.e. http://appalachiantrials.com/hike_naked_day_2015/
What joy and cameraderie springs out from those photos. 
Wish they could bottle it and share it with everyone - world would be a better place!

John

eyesup

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 09:53:24 PM »
I'm still trying to come up with a good hike for that day. I would like it to be one I haven't been to before, except maybe for an inspection hike.

Unfortunately it's in late June. It WILL be hot. Being out too long in summer is ok but only if you are near relief. Also finding something that won't have too many families around.

Duane

jbeegoode

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 12:49:08 AM »
Well, its on a Monday, and DF and I usually do sunset celebrations at the river's henge. It will most likely be in the hundred's F. We will be taking off on an epic nude adventure the following weekend. BUT, perhaps a trip up to Mt. Lemon and down will be suitable. I'm working out an overnight utilizing my new way under six pound Super Ultralight SUL backpacking arrangement. That just may be the day....WNHD is important and fun.
Jbee
Barefoot all over, all over.

reubenT

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2016, 06:15:54 AM »
it's rare that I make plans ahead of time for things.   About the only things I plan ahead of time are those that are planned by others that I decide to join.    So where to go for a personal hike on naked hiking day is left for a last minute decision based on what I feel like doing at the moment.  That is unless someone else is doing something nearby and I decide to join them,  but that hasn't yet happened.    If it doesn't I may just wander back in the woods and find some water to keep cool in for a short time.    Or if I feel energetic enough I might drive somewhere and find a bigger stream to wander along for awhile. Although nowdays those kind of excursions are rare, since I usually have some job waiting and work is on the mind. 

eyesup

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2016, 08:00:20 AM »
Whatever I decide to do will be early, next Monday it's projected a high of 111, and nearby as I have to deliver my daughter to the airport Tuesday morning for a 4:30am flight. No time to spend traveling to a new place.

I'll likely pick an old standby.

Duane

reubenT

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2016, 01:41:51 AM »
clear and 84 is my forecast for monday,   I've been working naked a good bit in my clearing, finally got a tub filled with water to cool off in.  cutting up trees and putting them through the log splitter is just enough effort to get me hot when it'd feel better to lay in the shade.

jbeegoode

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2016, 03:27:36 AM »
I had planned an overnight up Sbino Canyon to Hutchin's Pool, at about 3500 to 4000 feet, dipping in the ponding stream to stay cool. The forecast is 112F, stinkin' sweltering too hot...NO WAY! Doing a Solistice thing at the henge cuts back on a mountain trip and DF has to work.

The low will be around 82F give or take in the upper elevation of the Tortolitas. The moon shall be coming up with the sunset, so it should be adequately high by midnight to light up the whole mountain range close to like daylight. SO, we may get up into the hills and be hiking into the new day as it occurs on the clock. 80F's is a nice walk in the evening, nude. The view is awesome.

It never got this hot until 1989. The weather has changed dramatically.

Wish us luck,
Jbee

eyesup

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2016, 07:19:52 AM »
Clear skies and a full moon here on Sunday evening, forecast heatwave with a low of 83, high on Monday 116.  :o

No way do I want to be out in the desert in that. Monday morn I expect it to cross over 100 by 9:00am. Whatever I do I'll want to be back at the car by then.

Full moon hike though!

Duane

jbeegoode

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2016, 07:45:15 PM »
These unusual heatwaves are brutal. I got up and out early to work on the roof of the new sweat/sauna. I had gone through as much water as I would in a day by the time it got kinda lousy around 10:00am. It is ONLY to be around 103F today.

The prediction is for worse during the next days and through next week. After 107F it is just plain too hot. It doesn't get any worse after that into the teens. It just stays plain too hot, naked or not. There is a threshold where it can't get any worse. Pray for my poor air conditioner to weather the storm of extra duty. Many people in Tucson, like DF's house have evaporative coolers. They become sort of worthless after a certain temperature, unless you sit in front of the breeze of the vent naked. There are thousands of people who during the next few days, will be sitting in these conditions in clothing, even in their own homes complaining about the heat. That is off of the charts goofy! When I was younger, I would get up in the late afternoon and hang by the pool, go out to dinner at sundown and live until sunrise. Some called me The Bat. Evenings are wonderful in the hot seasons. I may even consider an alternative to the henge, although I do get a kick out of the way the light creeps up to the hole as the sun goes down each solstice.
Jbee

My intention is swimming pools this weekend. The full moon walks will be wonderful.

nuduke

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2016, 11:49:57 PM »
Whilst I can understand that anyone acclimatised to their home climate will inevitably complain when it is abnormal, I can't find it in me to be sympathetic to you guys, jbee and Duane, in weather that the average Brit would die for (definitely 'for' rather than 'of'!) and seeks on holiday. 

Sitting in the damp aftermath of a week of rainy spells and unseasonal coolness in what should be midsummer 'flaming June' in the UK, one is rather jealous of a climate that in poor weather makes you get naked and sit still to keep cool!

John

eyesup

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2016, 05:06:47 PM »
I was thinking of posting some comments with regard to the recent heat wave, but will not. I am aware that weather manifests differently in different locales. While I am blessed with an abundance of clear and temperate conditions, I do become complacent as you point out.

As I recall though, your visit here was in the summer but I don't remember the exact time of the season or whether weather was agreeable. Those that visit during a heat wave generally tend to remember it.

Extremes in temperature can be deadly, high or low. Either will put you at risk and I have had my share of close calls.

Duane