Author Topic: Naked Hiker Spotted  (Read 11527 times)

jbeegoode

• View Profile
Re: Naked Hiker Spotted
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2016, 06:27:34 PM »
I have felt vulnerability in the remote. The dire problems if something went wrong, being so isolated. I began to fear people out there, after seeing another Redford movie, "Deliverance." A lone woman might be justified to feel her fears, but like anyone they have to be faced, ie. Nudewalkers moniker. I remember that we stopped hanging out nude in the wild, even non-nude in the wild, when we had a baby to handle and then began hanging out at resorts. I felt like with a hot young naked wife and a baby, I was defenseless. These fears do still lurk in my subconscious. I had a vivid dream of intruders the last time that I slept outdoors in Red Creek. BUT, what are the odds!?

This is one reason that I step out of the way, and avoid being seen at times. Discomfort, the unknown, breeds some bizarre reactions in some people. Irrational, fright/flight, it happens. That's the wisdom about giving a smiling greeting. I have yet to see, or hear of one of  these reactions from a lone woman.  Women are usually with someone, and it is wise of anyone to hike with a partner. They tend to be talking and give me plenty of warning. The odds that one will get anything other than the friendly looking out for others, glad to share in the woods, share directions, from others are tiny. Generally people support each other in crisis and times of fear and bond. If they are fearful on the trail and alone they are eager to see signs that the other is safe, otherwise they won't be hikers/campers for long.

I have had the encounter with a nude woman, who may be excited for various reasons, like to be seen nekkid, even out of hand for the moment, or just a show off. These may be found in a hotspring or beach, but not hiking where there is nobody around. These are harmless to my sense. The alarmed or offended male or female would be unusual indeed to such a woman. So, what is it about a nude guy that is different? He's bigger, he looks out of control and capable of anything, but not a nude woman? Is it just the 'ol nudity=sex thing? We need to get the idea that people commonly nude hike, like the other nudist things to this world. We are not out of control, we are hiking nude.

When people stumble upon DF and I, we cover up enough to be legal, but how many assume that they have interrupted an interlude? Some have acted as they assume that we would like privacy. Sometimes nude people prefer privacy, and are squeamish, wondering if the clothed ones are being voyeurs when they stand around talking to them. I once asked if anyone fitting my friends description had passed through and instead got a blatant accusation from a nude guy with a girl that I was there, "just to perve on them." I'm jus' thinkin' here. The world is complex with so many perspectives roaming around in peoples minds.

Incidentally, I just went to that link to see if my post had been censored and the website wasn't there anymore, "could not be found." I'm on DF's computer at her place. Could it be that the message of offense made her rethink? Guess I'll revisit after returning to my usual station.
Jbee
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 06:33:34 PM by jbeegoode »
Barefoot all over, all over.

Safebare

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2016, 11:51:38 PM »
I had the opportunity last week to visit Padre Island National Seashore. I have visited this beach many times over the past several decades and is one of my favorites. Vehicles can drive on the beach once you enter the park, or you can park at the edge and walk in. That's my preference. As usual, I parked at the 'sticks' that mark the barrier between the public beach and 'Shoreline', pack a bag and hike in. Often there are textiles near this area, so a wrap or other covering is appropriate.
Once you hike in a bit, then the beach is unofficially clothing optional. Often I encounter other like minded people down the beach. This time I hiked in with a sarong hung through the straps of my pack as no one was near by. I could see another solo wanderer far up the beach, too far to see any details. In the past, I always came across other lone males or couples along the c/o beach. This day I came across 3 lone females, none were nude. The first had a European accent and chatted with me as we passed about the amount of washed up plastic littering the beach. I had wrapped the sarong around my waist, but wasn't making a big deal out of trying to conceal my nudity. It was a brief and friendly encounter.
I parked my pack and spread the sarong out to enjoy the day. A bit later, I hiked quite a ways further down the beach, not worried to bring any cover. I noticed another lone hiker headed my way with a dog. I decided not to worry about my lack of cover and simply headed back to my stuff. As we closed in on each other, it became obvious that she was a clothed female and I was a naked male. She sat down at the water's edge and I allowed a wide area between us to reduce any chance that my presence would be threatening to her.  No worries!
Another person was quickly walking up to us, which also turned out to be a clothed female. She had a very friendly expression on her face as we neared and after saying hi, I remarked on how nice the day is. She responded that it was a Glorious Day!
The 2 women chatted briefly and continued their own activities.  I went to where I had left my stuff and continued to enjoy the day. Body surfing was excellent! I was able to hike back to the car and remained nude for the 4 hour trip home. Oh, and I brought home a coconut for my dogs.

eyesup

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2016, 01:34:11 AM »
Quote from: Jbee
Incidentally, I just went to that link to see if my post had been censored and the website wasn't there anymore, "could not be found."

Odd. I tried to search around on the AT website but couldn't find anything. That's kind of hard to figure. Did she pull it or did someone on the site?

I though your post was perfectly fine. As you said there is no way to know her thinking and maybe she felt justified.

And then Safebare has the exact opposite type of encounter. Puzzling!

Duane

eyesup

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2016, 05:11:34 PM »
Another report about Naked Hiking Day and what to do if you meet a naked hiker. This one is with a little less edginess or apprehension. This hiker, also a woman, seems more experienced and her advice is more reasonable.

I am not finding anything hereabouts with regard to NHD. At least I have begun thinking about this enough in advance to maybe do something this year.

Duane

reubenT

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2016, 05:35:18 PM »
Some site monitor may have thought the naked hiker discussion might scare away new people looking for trail info.   Oh and the little list of naked hiker hazards included ticks,  but a tick finds a clothed person a better target.  The writer must have never hiked naked enough to realize that point.   They frequently find their spot under a waist band, or under a sock,  someplace hidden.  Naked people have no hidden spots they can dig in at.  Therefore fewer tick bites.  I usually feel them crawling and get em off before they dig in.   

nuduke

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2016, 04:12:38 PM »
So, JBee?  Did you find the site again?
John

jbeegoode

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2016, 11:41:15 PM »
 The site yes, the article no. Perhaps she snuffed it after seeing my comment? There are 63 pages of articles there for thru hikers and she could be on any one of them, except the first 16 pages, which I checked out and no sign of her nudity issues. There is lots fo good information there.
Jbee

eyesup

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2016, 01:53:08 AM »
I was browsing the site hoping I would recognize her name, but nothing popped. I hope she wasn't too upset. But putting your opinions out there usually means that there will be those that disagree.

Yeah, Jbee. While browsing I saw lots of good reading.

Duane

jbeegoode

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2016, 04:51:43 AM »
Yes Eyesup, good tips. I saw a 3 oz., .6 liter titanium mug for heating water. My current two person cookware is 11oz., plus a 3oz.stove. Knocking a half pound off, but retaining a warm meal is sounding very good to me.

I'd like to hike the deciduous forest back east of my youth. It's been a long time. The site gives lots of information about possible locations.

There is lots of buzz and acceptance among the professional, thru hiker, etc. community, from what I've read, thanks to the designated naked hiking day. She may be getting it from others, ie. her peers, and others besides my post. The law enforcement approach and prudish conservative outlook doesn't do well in the wilderness among that group. They generally prefer excitement, nonconformity, and even some crazy and rogue. I hope that she has pulled her post, is rethinking body freedom, and rewriting her delivery of her excellent list of tips.
Jbee

eyesup

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2016, 06:39:43 PM »
Jbee, you could be right. I was browsing looking for an inspiration for something new and different for a hike on Naked Hiking Day and ran across posts of people from the AT on that day. It looks like going bare on a day set aside for that is one more way to demonstrate the freedom embodied by going on a months long hike away from civilization.

See naked hiking photos from the trail or this post about AT traditions, see the tradition #9. It's odd she wasn't aware of how many people indulge themselves and engage in a little more freedom on a thru hike.

Duane

P.S. oops! wrong url (fixed!)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 08:29:21 PM by eyesup »

jbeegoode

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2016, 01:21:44 AM »
" To most of the hiker community, nudity is nothing too shocking or surprising. Basic societal standards are usually one of the first things that goes by the wayside. The hiker community knows it’s all in good fun..."

DAng good evidence! The NAked Hiking DAy has taken off in just a few years. Thank-you HikingNaked.com, those that have promoted it, and those that just doit!
Jbee

John P

• View Profile
    • My naturist page
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2016, 02:28:39 PM »
" To most of the hiker community, nudity is nothing too shocking or surprising. Basic societal standards are usually one of the first things that goes by the wayside. The hiker community knows it’s all in good fun..."

AT hikers have to get used to sharing shelters along the trail, sometimes at close quarters with a lot of people. They have the protocol that you don't have to be totally modest, but nor should you flash your body around to make sure that everyone sees you. And you aren't required to close your eyes if someone else is undressed, but you shouldn't openly stare or surreptitiously peep. Of course this is different from someone being openly nude while walking the trail. In general hikers have the attitude that "You walk your own walk" and however someone gets down the trail, it's their business. But nudity might go beyond anything that people are used to, so they might respond with anything from amusement to embarrassment. I hope most of them would say, "It's your walk, pal".

eyesup

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2016, 06:38:38 PM »
Quote from: JohnP
In general hikers have the attitude that "You walk your own walk" and however someone gets down the trail, it's their business.

This is what I find so appealing about doing one of the big three trails. From what I've read the hikers are independent and have to be resilient and great problem solvers.

If you have trained to do one of those you aren't likely to allow something as silly as a hiker behaving silly out of their exuberance at being on the trail.

Duane

jbeegoode

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2016, 06:00:51 PM »
Great point Eyesup. In the Arizona State Statutes, it must be that a "reasonable" person be alarmed by the sight of the genitals and nipple area and you must be "reckless" to cause the situation. The obscurity in defining a reasonable person is the flaw in the law. To me, a reasonable person would possess these attributes and not be alarmed by such silliness. It is like being grown up, or practical, or seasoned and to see that the matter is nothing within the context of the matters at hand, that it is in actuality silliness to be upset. Seeing a body of another is a small trifle of a matter, for a "reasonable" person.

I remember Gym class in high school and Mr. Dave Diget calling straight out, or implying, that any aversion to having to skinny-dip, or be nude in showers was immature, not masculine, and childish. It could have come from a generation which went through the depression, and military service in war and the  draft, who were the offspring of a generation that had small homes and no modern plumbing. Not to sound misogynistic or sexist, but the expression this teacher conveyed in those days, was a derogatory comment about acting like girls. "A body was just a body, don't be silly little boys." It was one of those "man up" things.

This didn't keep the boys from looking up those new miniskirts, or hiding Playboy Magazines in the bedroom. There was hard demand of adherence to masculine/feminine roles, objectification, gender identity. But, in these days of gender equality, a woman out on the trail, like so many other barriers that ladies didn't used to do, is an insult to womanhood and repressive. We can't truly liberate and be equal until we liberate our bodies, burn those God awful bras, and be nude around each other.

When did the lawyers take away the attitude that it is abusive to tell a kid to stop being immature, get naked, accept your body and others? Take a shower kid, you stink and your crotch will rot from trapped bacteria, if you don't. It is a public health issue, something that used to be taught in gym class. Granted all lessons are not easy to swallow, but isn't being nude around other people a pretty easy hurdle to get over? Silly is a very apt word for these anti-nudity cornballs. Your nude body is okay to be seen, being healthy is a practical value, that is the message. It is not rape, humiliation, nor abuse. It is being taught how to grow up and be real and practical.

Whew, where'd that rant come from?
Jbee
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 06:07:07 PM by jbeegoode »

eyesup

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2016, 07:55:05 PM »
Quote from: Jbee
Granted all lessons are not easy to swallow, but isn't being nude around other people a pretty easy hurdle to get over? Silly is a very apt word for these anti-nudity cornballs. Your nude body is okay to be seen, being healthy is a practical value, that is the message. It is not rape, humiliation, nor abuse. It is being taught how to grow up and be real and practical.

This has descended from the belief that all feelings must be protected no matter what. I also remember coaches telling me to get up, brush it off and keep going. And they weren't only talking about the scrape on my knee. These are life lessons at a beginner level.

My family had 4 kids. 2 girls and 2 boys. When we were little, we all took a bath together. When we got older it was just me and my brother. Later still me alone. This had more to do with logistics than modesty. You can't fit that many big kids in a bathtub.

That was the extent of my naked experience until I hit Jr. High, where I encountered my first group shower. It was no big deal.

You are right, "Just grow up", for cryin' out loud!
Duane