Author Topic: Gardening in Arizona  (Read 3220 times)

kensunwalker

• View Profile
Gardening in Arizona
« on: March 12, 2017, 04:20:18 PM »
Yesterday (3/11/2017) the weather was great so I took the opportunity to turn the soil in preparation for planting the garden on our land.  Gardening naked feels so wonderful no wonder I love our land so much.

jbeegoode

• View Profile
Re: Gardening in Arizona
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 09:25:57 AM »
my back is recovering. I may be able to get out and dig myself. I missed winter garden opportunity. Not to mention that we are getting 80F temps and spring conditions.
Barefoot all over, all over.

eyesup

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 04:51:06 PM »
This area's alkaline soils make it difficult to grow anything non-native. We have a planter I built where we attempt to grow peppers and herbs. We have limited success.

The soil and the heat are tough competitors.

Duane

jbeegoode

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 06:51:18 PM »
Shade screen and composting soil. Mostly kitchen scraps and some amendments.

We grow all sorts of organic foods here, but the soil must be cultivated or it will get sick and salty. The ground water has too much lime. Your Colorado river water is probably pretty good.
Jbee
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 06:54:02 PM by jbeegoode »

eyesup

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 11:07:42 PM »
We do recycle our vegetable scraps and it certainly helps.
The screen idea is one I have looked at and have a couple ideas for.

Duane

jbeegoode

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 04:46:28 AM »
I picked up a bundle of used shade screen at a local nursery t considerable discount. I was just laying out back of a greenhouse.  It has lasted over three years draped over my garden's protective cages.

I dug out weeded and worked in my compost today. Should be planting very soon. Mostly greens that will be nipped when young, mint and herbs. It is late in the season and the extreme heat is coming.
Jbee

reubenT

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2017, 01:47:47 AM »
My family's been into gardening since i was too little to know what was happening.   And before that my mother grew up with her dad making a living at it, and his folks did the same,  and who knows how much further back it goes.      So continuing the tradition I'm working on getting ready to do all I can manage to do this year.   Been working on a greenhouse heating system, and have some things started in boxes on the benches.     been working on outfitting a 4x4 truck with firewood processing equipment,  So it will run on firewood as well as process and haul it.  The idea being to collect a whole lot of wood,  create charcoal (biochar) out of it for soil carbon.  Plan on putting in a lot of fruit and nut trees and all manner of things good to eat,  perennial and annual.   

eyesup

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 07:26:15 AM »
I was fortunate to have parents that grew up on farms. My Dad was the gardener but mom had no desire to do it. She had spent an enournous part of her early life working the soil and after becoming a nurse, never went back. I learned from my dad what to do.

Some of it I have remembered.

Duane

kensunwalker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2017, 02:55:18 PM »
World Naked Gardening Day is May 6th.  Anyone else going to celebrate?

jbeegoode

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2017, 06:38:55 PM »
Yup
Jbee

nuduke

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2017, 06:33:22 PM »

If our apple tree is fully in leaf by then, we will be private from the neighbours so I'm planning to do a bit of naked grass cutting...given reasonable weather which for UK is always a total lottery!
John

eyesup

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2017, 08:27:02 PM »
We had an ash tree that died last year. It provided a good portion of screening in my back yard. My son and I cut it down and it now will become it's eponymous namesake.

In the meantime, I will have to replace it and wait until it provides sufficient screening.

Duane

jbeegoode

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2017, 11:33:23 PM »
Garden is in. Weather is good.
Jbee

ric

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2017, 10:34:41 AM »
naked gardening day is first sat in may,  ive been aware of it for a few years now, i reckon more often than not the weather on the day is unsuitable, not that that bothers me cos ive got a polytunnel which keeps off both the wind and rain.
anyway in the last few years its only the month of january that i havnt managed at least some outdoor naked gardening, most years i start in march and continue well into october, but also get days throughout the summer where its just too chilly.

nuduke

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2017, 09:35:42 PM »

Naked gardening day is a bit of a busman's holiday for you, Ric!
John