Author Topic: Gardening in Arizona  (Read 3063 times)

Bob Knows

• Human bodies are natural, comfortable, and green.
    • View Profile
    • Greenbare Photos
Re: Gardening in Arizona
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2017, 11:38:48 PM »
My only garden is a lilac bush and a lawn.  It may be time to put fertilizer on the lawn.  Not sure yet.
Human bodies are natural, comfortable, and green.
To see more of Bob you can view his personal photo page
http://www.photos.bradkemp.com/greenbare.html

ric

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2017, 12:35:56 PM »
in this green and pleasant land ive never understood why people fertilise their lawns .... then moan how often it needs cutting :)

perhaps a downside to mulching mowers , recycling the cuttings helps the grass grow, making the effort to remove the cuttings should eventually slow the grass growth resulting in less mowing?

Bob Knows

• Human bodies are natural, comfortable, and green.
    • View Profile
    • Greenbare Photos
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2017, 03:57:36 PM »
in this green and pleasant land ive never understood why people fertilise their lawns .... then moan how often it needs cutting :)

perhaps a downside to mulching mowers , recycling the cuttings helps the grass grow, making the effort to remove the cuttings should eventually slow the grass growth resulting in less mowing?

I use the "Weed & Feed" sort of fertilizer.  It helps the grass to compete against invasive weeds.  It also looks more green and less yellow. 

I never remove lawn cuttings.  Over time they perform a valuable service of holding moisture, and after more time decompose into improved soil for future generations of grass.  Over time the recycled clippings results in a healthier lawn and more mowing. 

Human bodies are natural, comfortable, and green.
To see more of Bob you can view his personal photo page
http://www.photos.bradkemp.com/greenbare.html

eyesup

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2017, 06:44:00 PM »
We have slowly been removing the grass from our property. We plan on keeping a little in the back yard. I tried the mulching practice, but this is a desert. The dead grass just accumulates. You need a relatively moist environment with a viable bacterial presence for this to work. I would have to dump far too much water on the lawn to make that work.

I can't, in good conscience, do that. I gather the grass clippings and get rid of them. As I convert to desert landscape it is less and less work. Same end result with water conservation thrown in to boot.

Duane

reubenT

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2017, 06:08:44 AM »
Been working on the garden here a lot lately.  Clearing trees with track hoe, rototilling,  hauling compost from barn to garden.  Everything back in the garden done nude,  everything out front has to have something on,  but sometimes not much.    I have 9 varieties of cantaloupe,  2 varieties water melon,  several kinds of beets,   two kinds of peas,  and a few other things to put in.  oh and lots of maters and peppers that are a bit late started in the flats.    I'm eatin salad ingredients every day from the greenhouse and small garden up front.   

My world naked gardening day celebration is ongoing,   skipped the actual day because a cold front was coming through and it was unsuitable for any kind of naked outside activity. 

jbeegoode

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2017, 03:39:07 AM »
Weeded the veggie pens. thinned out the greens and made a smoothie out of them. Everything is coming up r...gangbusters. ABout twenty tomato plants, all but five are volunteers. I just hope that they produce enough before the heat slows then down. I hope to dehydrate them sundried style, which is great for sauces and backpacking food. The price of organic tomatoes is ridiculous. Four dollars each at the farmers market for heirlooms.

The new water timer is working out very well.

We were talking a greenhouse today.
Jbee
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 03:41:16 AM by jbeegoode »
Barefoot all over, all over.

nuduke

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2017, 10:43:09 PM »

Been working on the garden here a lot lately.  Clearing trees with track hoe, rototilling,  hauling compost from barn to garden
You seem not to do things by half, Reub!  I'm too lazy to grow heavy duty vegetables and the local small supermarket is 9 min walk away and 2 by car!
It's great to have produce, though.  I have some on trees.... apples, pears, damsons & a few herbs - if any of the damn things will grow!  Got zero pears last year and the pigeons ate all the damson fruit sets.  Blackbirds dug up my carefully planted herb window boxes last week.  Grrrr... animals?  Vermin.

John

eyesup

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2017, 07:13:48 PM »
We had several pepper plants and 4 or 5 herbs planted. The peppers we haven't replace but the herbs are still going with only minimal attention. We have fresh herbs whenever we want.

Duane

JOhnGw

• Almost anything worth doing is better done naked.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2017, 11:10:24 PM »
We had several pepper plants and 4 or 5 herbs planted. The peppers we haven't replace but the herbs are still going with only minimal attention. We have fresh herbs whenever we want.

Duane
We, too, have only a small amount of vegetable garden but the most valuable portion is that given over to herbs.
I only use dried herbs form the supermarket when the weather is too inclement to go outside naked and pick the fresh ones.
JOhn

Do not do unto others as you would that they should do unto you. Their tastes may not be the same.
George Bernard Shaw, Maxims for Revolutionaries

ric

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2017, 10:52:10 AM »
we used to have a large veg plot , but have moved more to soft fruit that is expensive and tastless in the shops and only grow veg that doesnt travel well.... fresh beans, tomatoes , salad crops etc are miles better than those in the shops, maincrop spuds , carrots cabbages etc arnt really worth the space , time and sweat.

basically if you can get a decent product grown on a mechanised field scale its too cheap to be worth growing yourself.

eyesup

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2017, 06:50:23 PM »
Quote from: ric
In this green and pleasant land ive never understood why people fertilise their lawns .... then moan how often it needs cutting.
I have mentioned this to people here with lush lawns and they just look at me and don't see the irony.

Duane

kensunwalker

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2017, 09:52:15 PM »
Gardening May 2017

The weather the first weekend of May, 2017, was poor for World Naked Gardening Day, and besides Amy and I were busy preparing for a house on our land (finally), however, I worked mostly naked on the trails (trimming and installing signs) at least a little most days in May.  I also trenched a water line from the garden to our anticipated house.  Soon we’ll have a well so the water will be easy to obtain, rather than carrying it in gallon plastic bottles.  However, May was quickly passing, so after signing the house contract Monday, May 22nd, on Tuesday May 23rd I planted the garden (naked of course), and carried water for the newly planted seeds.  I then walked the Nature and Meditation Trail on our land (this can also be done nude).  All are welcome to visit.  Meditating nude in nature is such a blessing; it’s a ‘great’ way to manifest positive results in life!

eyesup

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2017, 05:17:20 PM »
How are the trails coming? Are you just doing maintenance or are you adding any new trails?

I remember how secluded and intimate the different sections were. The way you lowered the trail to emphasize those aspects is what I truly liked about your design.

Duane

kensunwalker

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2017, 02:50:13 PM »
I keep working on them.  I've added a new entrance from the road and an entrance station, new signs, and a completely new trail system near where the house will sit.  All are welcome to come walk.

eyesup

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2017, 09:05:43 PM »
New stuff !! I’m gonna hafta’ come and see.

If I can work out an excuse to go down there I might be able to bring my wife. It’s not that far.
Hmmm..

Duane